TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 01 Mar 2020 12:13 #820118

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

larriken wrote:

That rear brake pushrod. Is that from your z1r? Is your bike a 1978? If so, that's not the right one. It should look like this one:

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi Z1R 01 Mar 2020 12:35 #820119

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1853
Trying to add help here not highjack. Does anyone know how to whiten and restore these reservoirs. I have 2 Rear MC's in que to be rebuilt.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 01 Mar 2020 12:55 #820122

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

DOHC wrote:

larriken wrote:

That rear brake pushrod. Is that from your z1r? Is your bike a 1978? If so, that's not the right one. It should look like this one:

Funnily enough I just figured that out last night when I sat down and worked through what I have. Like the rest of the bike I have bits n bobs that don't match and I have collected up over time. The rear brake being no exception lol. What's even better is that while figuring all this out I realised that the brake pedal I have is from a Z1000 77 or 78 with a different rod again! I'll get something that works together eventually, fingers crossed.

Kiwi Z1R 08 Mar 2020 14:48 #820565

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
Beware of the condition of the o-ring under that reservoir as it is not listed anywhere in the Kawasaki parts books or fiches and if you need to replace it you will need to make one.
looking good so far.
David
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Kiwi Z1R 10 Mar 2020 13:10 #820691

• larriken
  • User

Kawboy74 wrote: Beware of the condition of the o-ring under that reservoir as it is not listed anywhere in the Kawasaki parts books or fiches and if you need to replace it you will need to make one.
looking good so far.
David

Thanks David, appreciate the advice. I did dig through the parts book and nothing for that o-ring. I guess Kawasaki didn't want that particularly part pulled to bits? I replaced it with an o-ring from something else that was near a perfect match so should be all good I hope.

Kiwi Z1R 10 Mar 2020 13:41 #820695

• larriken
  • User
As you know the Kiwi Z1R is not a back to original restoration and I am changing small things to fit my taste. One of those is the screen. I am not a big fan of the huge OEM screen. Yes, I know it was probably cool back in 1978 but it's not for me. I have had an aftermarket screen in my parts pile for a while now and dug it back out the other day. Stuck it on and went "uuurgh, god that's horrible!" I had been planning on buying a custom screen from Japan but I am furiously saving for a new rec/reg, stator, and a few other electrical bits I need. With the help of my mate Tony we marked out the screen and cut it down to what I wanted. I left a bit more height than what you often see with the custom low screens but man I love it! Was so stoked that it turned out so well. Just need to get some rubber trim long enough to go right around the edges and job's done!

The following user(s) said Thank You: KZmarcel

Kiwi Z1R 10 Mar 2020 13:41 #820696

• larriken
  • User
Oh, and some shiny bits back from being zinc'd. Love shiny bits!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZmarcel

Kiwi Z1R 10 Mar 2020 13:47 #820697

• larriken
  • User
Made some progress on the rear master cylinder too. Got it cleaned up and painted. Snuck home early one afternoon last week so I could put my parts in the oven to bake lol. What she doesn't know won't hurt her. All back together and now but oh man that res is so ugly. I tried to clean it up as best as I could but she's never going to be pretty. At least I will have a working back brake while I look for a tidy replacement.

Kiwi Z1R 10 Mar 2020 14:18 #820699

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
The windshield came out great! It looks a lot better,
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

Kiwi Z1R 15 Mar 2020 10:52 #820959

• bluezbike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
I agree, screen came out really great....here are some pics of my favorites.....but yours is way up there !!!

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)
Attachments:

Last edit: by bluezbike.

Kiwi Z1R 26 Mar 2020 00:25 #821780

• larriken
  • User
Hi team, got the Zed out into the sun last weekend! Okay, only so I could have a good clean up in the shed but it was good to see it in a different light.

The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61, KZmarcel

Kiwi Z1R 26 Mar 2020 00:35 #821781

• larriken
  • User
With the world turned upside down with Covid 19 we here in New Zealand, like other countries, have found ourselves going into lock down. From last night NZ has shut shop for 4 weeks minimum to try and get on top of things. Man I hope we do! Scary stuff but looking on the bright side I thought it was a bloody good opportunity to concentrate on getting the Kiwi Z1R finished (or at least close!). Big one is the wiring and today, just in the nick of time, a box arrived from Graham Crosby with a new stator, reg/rec combo unit, and a fuse box. No excuses now! I have all the bits I need to finish the wiring and I even nicked into the local electronics shop and picked up solder, heat shrink, gas and new tips for my soldering iron.....all set!

I got so excited I fitted the stator and put bolted up the cover straight away so at least that's the first job done!