That rear brake pushrod. Is that from your z1r? Is your bike a 1978? If so, that's not the right one. It should look like this one:
Funnily enough I just figured that out last night when I sat down and worked through what I have. Like the rest of the bike I have bits n bobs that don't match and I have collected up over time. The rear brake being no exception lol. What's even better is that while figuring all this out I realised that the brake pedal I have is from a Z1000 77 or 78 with a different rod again! I'll get something that works together eventually, fingers crossed.
Beware of the condition of the o-ring under that reservoir as it is not listed anywhere in the Kawasaki parts books or fiches and if you need to replace it you will need to make one.
looking good so far.
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Kawboy74 wrote: Beware of the condition of the o-ring under that reservoir as it is not listed anywhere in the Kawasaki parts books or fiches and if you need to replace it you will need to make one.
looking good so far.
Thanks David, appreciate the advice. I did dig through the parts book and nothing for that o-ring. I guess Kawasaki didn't want that particularly part pulled to bits? I replaced it with an o-ring from something else that was near a perfect match so should be all good I hope.
As you know the Kiwi Z1R is not a back to original restoration and I am changing small things to fit my taste. One of those is the screen. I am not a big fan of the huge OEM screen. Yes, I know it was probably cool back in 1978 but it's not for me. I have had an aftermarket screen in my parts pile for a while now and dug it back out the other day. Stuck it on and went "uuurgh, god that's horrible!" I had been planning on buying a custom screen from Japan but I am furiously saving for a new rec/reg, stator, and a few other electrical bits I need. With the help of my mate Tony we marked out the screen and cut it down to what I wanted. I left a bit more height than what you often see with the custom low screens but man I love it! Was so stoked that it turned out so well. Just need to get some rubber trim long enough to go right around the edges and job's done!
Made some progress on the rear master cylinder too. Got it cleaned up and painted. Snuck home early one afternoon last week so I could put my parts in the oven to bake lol. What she doesn't know won't hurt her. All back together and now but oh man that res is so ugly. I tried to clean it up as best as I could but she's never going to be pretty. At least I will have a working back brake while I look for a tidy replacement.
With the world turned upside down with Covid 19 we here in New Zealand, like other countries, have found ourselves going into lock down. From last night NZ has shut shop for 4 weeks minimum to try and get on top of things. Man I hope we do! Scary stuff but looking on the bright side I thought it was a bloody good opportunity to concentrate on getting the Kiwi Z1R finished (or at least close!). Big one is the wiring and today, just in the nick of time, a box arrived from Graham Crosby with a new stator, reg/rec combo unit, and a fuse box. No excuses now! I have all the bits I need to finish the wiring and I even nicked into the local electronics shop and picked up solder, heat shrink, gas and new tips for my soldering iron.....all set!
I got so excited I fitted the stator and put bolted up the cover straight away so at least that's the first job done!