Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 25 Nov 2016 16:49 #748917

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Like Kawboy74 said, model paint works great for the little switch lettering. The tree huggers have made the makers of model paint drop their line of oil-based model paint!!!!! All you can get now is this water-based model paint. I don't know how this new tree hugger paint works on a brush. I tried to use some on a model building I was painting, and it worked like $hit in a air brush!!! Damn tree huggers!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi Z1R 25 Nov 2016 23:46 #748945

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61

Dr. Gamma wrote: Like Kawboy74 said, model paint works great for the little switch lettering. The tree huggers have made the makers of model paint drop their line of oil-based model paint!!!!! All you can get now is this water-based model paint. I don't know how this new tree hugger paint works on a brush. I tried to use some on a model building I was painting, and it worked like $hit in a air brush!!! Damn tree huggers!!!

Nice work! I will have to get down to the local model shop and see what I can find. That's all we had when we built model planes as kids, stinky ol' oil paint!

Kiwi Z1R 25 Nov 2016 23:48 #748946

• larriken
  • User

Kawboy74 wrote: I sand-blasted my switch housings and then painted them. After a good drying spell I used model paint with a tiny needle to drop small amounts of paint into the grooves of the lettering. If I got any with too much paint in them, I took a rag with a dampened varsol spot on it and wiped the top gently, worked great.
Nice job by the way.
David

Thanks David, appreciate your advice. Looking forward to having nice new looking switch gear!

Kiwi Z1R 25 Nov 2016 23:52 #748948

• larriken
  • User
Finally got my mitts on a set of correct bars for the Z1R. Yes, I have been on Yahoo auctions in Japan again. :) I would be buggered without Yahoo for picking up all the little bits n bobs that I need that I just can't track down here in New Zealand.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 30 Dec 2016 02:00 #750941

• larriken
  • User
Yes, I know it's been a month but to be honest absolutely bugger all has been done to the Z1R! Terrible I know but I have thought about it lots, does that count? :cheer: I did buy a 71 Kawasaki Avenger 350 but I am pretty certain that it's not helping get the Zed finished! My kids like it though...

I did have a find a good score from Japan again and finally got a kickstart and the cover for under the seat. You wouldn't believe how long I have been looking for one of these.

Also started thinking about the motor. Yes, just thinking and working out what I have or more to the point don't have.

Plan to start getting serious on the motor over the next few months. Should be interesting since I am building the motor out of a pile of bits from several different bikes!

Kiwi Z1R 30 Dec 2016 02:03 #750942

• larriken
  • User
I did discover that I have two oil pumps in my pile of bits. They are both pretty similar but not the same. Does anyone out there have any idea which one is for a Z1000 motor?

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 31 Dec 2016 21:59 #751045

• larriken
  • User
Happy new year KZer's!

Stuck all my respective bit together to make me feel good lol! It might not have any guts but at least it looks like an engine ;)

Took time out to have a bit of a Z1R related read.............well maybe just a look at the pictures cos buggered if I know what they're on about. Bike looks good though!

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 01 Jan 2017 10:46 #751072

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
Happy New Year to you as well. Cute couple of kids you got there, I remember when mine were that age, tons of fun.
The oil pump with the screwed on filter is earlier type for the Z1 units. The later type, that being the 1000 motors had the o-ring attachment of the filter. Check the gears for wear against the housing, there is a tolerance in the manual for it and make sure if you take it apart that you get the gear back on the right way or the gear will hit the screws that hold the halves together at speed. You could use either pump, I would use the one that is tighter for better performance. Also, they take different gaskets if they tear when disassembled.
Good luck.
David
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: larriken

Kiwi Z1R 01 Jan 2017 15:22 #751106

• larriken
  • User

Kawboy74 wrote: Happy New Year to you as well. Cute couple of kids you got there, I remember when mine were that age, tons of fun.
The oil pump with the screwed on filter is earlier type for the Z1 units. The later type, that being the 1000 motors had the o-ring attachment of the filter. Check the gears for wear against the housing, there is a tolerance in the manual for it and make sure if you take it apart that you get the gear back on the right way or the gear will hit the screws that hold the halves together at speed. You could use either pump, I would use the one that is tighter for better performance. Also, they take different gaskets if they tear when disassembled.
Good luck.
David

Thanks David, you are a champion! Really appreciate the advice.

Kiwi Z1R 01 Jan 2017 19:49 #751135

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
Any time. You look quite warm and comfortable reading. Have had the heat on in the shop for the last 1 1/2 weeks through Christmas but it is supposed to be rainy and about 6 celsius for the next two days. Good stimulating weather for getting some work done before heading back to the gulag next week.
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Kiwi Z1R 06 Feb 2017 21:28 #753799

• larriken
  • User
Mmmm decisions, decisions....................... Put on a standard set of turn signals but just not sure if I am going to use the original ones. Maybe something similar in style but a bit smaller. Not sure on this one, will have to keep pondering. :)
Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 06 Feb 2017 21:34 #753800

• larriken
  • User
Have also finally got round to getting the seat pan repaired and strengthened at the sides. I decided against doing the repairs myself as I had a feeling my average welding skills might blow the very thin seat pan to bits. Gave it a to a mate of mine and it is now sturdy as and all the rotten bits have a backing bit of steel behind them now. The pan is now ready to be primed and painted and then off to the motor trimmers to be bought back to life again.

Attachments: