Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 23 Oct 2016 23:54 #746063

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61

750 R1 wrote: Get yourself a set of JIS screwdrivers, they aren't phillips head screws..... Phillips head screwdrivers are designed to "cam out" so you can't over tighten screws, they were designed in the 1930's for the American automobile industry, Jis on the other hand, were invented by the Japanese so they don't slip. JIS stands for Japanese Industry Standard, and are the screw headed bolts used on all Japanese motorcycles.... ;)

This should explain it...

www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/jis-screwdrivers/

I just bought a set of these Vessel JIS drivers, Japanese made and work brilliantly, the silver handled ones are impact drivers.. There's also an explanation on this page.... ;)

rhinotools.com.au/product/jis-vessel-screwdriver-set/

You are a champion! Just wish I new this gem of information before lol. Thanks alot, I will be getting a set asap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi Z1R 24 Oct 2016 15:31 #746112

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

larriken wrote:

750 R1 wrote: Get yourself a set of JIS screwdrivers, they aren't phillips head screws..... Phillips head screwdrivers are designed to "cam out" so you can't over tighten screws, they were designed in the 1930's for the American automobile industry, Jis on the other hand, were invented by the Japanese so they don't slip. JIS stands for Japanese Industry Standard, and are the screw headed bolts used on all Japanese motorcycles.... ;)

This should explain it...

www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/jis-screwdrivers/

I just bought a set of these Vessel JIS drivers, Japanese made and work brilliantly, the silver handled ones are impact drivers.. There's also an explanation on this page.... ;)

rhinotools.com.au/product/jis-vessel-screwdriver-set/

You are a champion! Just wish I new this gem of information before lol. Thanks alot, I will be getting a set asap.

No worries mate, you'd be surprised how many people, including Japanese bike shops, don't know this, hence so many ruined screws on Japanese bikes. I was recently told by an "engineer" and 40 year shop mechanic that I don't know what i'm talking about, he'd never heard of JIS screws, {been a Japanese bike mechanic since 1969, his words} , he actually got quite upset and rude that I'd challenged all his "experience", I went back later and showed him another article I have on JIS screwdrivers and he didn't know what to say, apart from still be rude, he was an ass....LOL You'll thank me later if you actually buy some, the single best tool for working on old Jap bikes with JIS screws everywhere... ;)

Kiwi Z1R 24 Oct 2016 17:11 #746123

• Rustyhama
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
I'm surprised you fellas haven't seen 650 Ed's standard piece that he copies into the new member introductions page. I can't remember all it says but he talks about getting a FSM and all about the JIS screws including big photos and how to make your own. It's good stuff.
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

Kiwi Z1R 24 Oct 2016 17:17 #746125

• 750 R1
  • User

Rustyhama wrote: I'm surprised you fellas haven't seen 650 Ed's standard piece that he copies into the new member introductions page. I can't remember all it says but he talks about getting a FSM and all about the JIS screws including big photos and how to make your own. It's good stuff.

I've known about and been using JIS screwdrivers since the early 1980's, only reason I bought some again now is due to some a@*hole liking my tools more than me, I spent some time in hospital a few years back and my motorcycle tool kit, which was quite extensive, was stolen...!!! I recommended Vessel because I know they are good.... ;)

Kiwi Z1R 26 Oct 2016 02:42 #746234

• larriken
  • User
Coolest package I have had so far for the Z1R. Picked this bad boy up from American Classix, really good price too. Couldn't hold on so had to fit it lol!

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 29 Oct 2016 18:05 #746487

• larriken
  • User
Nothing happens for ages and then bamo! It all starts again with a hiss and and roar and we are on a roll again. I had been pondering for a while about what to use for rear shocks. The originals were stuffed beyond repair and I had visions of a million trillion dollar set of Ohlins taking there place. Then reality set in, or more to the point my budget lol :lol: . I did a bit of research on a reasonable priced set of shocks that would work well and not blow the budget. End result was a set of YSS shocks. Not the top end model unfortunately as I just couldn't afford them so I went with their budget version but I upgraded the spring to accomodate my 100kg's and the Z1R's nearly 300. I bought them from Brooks Suspension in the UK and they arrived really quickly and in piece despite the box looking like a dog had mauled it. First impressions are that they are a nice bit of kit and look well made. Came with lots of spacers to get the correct fit and look nice on too. Just have to wait about ten years for the road test when I finally get the bike going!

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 29 Oct 2016 18:14 #746488

• larriken
  • User
Also picked up a few parts from PMC in Japan. Mainly rubbers and bits n bobs so I can get the clocks and things fitted. Also picked up a new ignition barrel as well. That is this afternoons job to the clocks mounted on the bike. I think I finally have all the correct bits together. Even managed to track down the speedo sensor (last photo) which was a real bonus as I had been having a bit of a major trying to find one.

Kiwi Z1R 29 Oct 2016 18:51 #746494

• 750 R1
  • User
Don't you just love shiny new parts... ;)

Kiwi Z1R 30 Oct 2016 12:35 #746571

• spdygon
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
great job so far....maybe one of these day ill get around to restoring mine.
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

Kiwi Z1R 31 Oct 2016 06:08 #746668

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
nice job finding those "bits" i see the rubbers are pmc but did you buy direct or go through another shop webike perhaps ?????

yss seem to have a good reputation.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Kiwi Z1R 31 Oct 2016 22:17 #746799

• larriken
  • User

spdygon wrote: great job so far....maybe one of these day ill get around to restoring mine.

Thanks mate! Good things take time ;)

Kiwi Z1R 31 Oct 2016 22:20 #746800

• larriken
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: nice job finding those "bits" i see the rubbers are pmc but did you buy direct or go through another shop webike perhaps ?????

yss seem to have a good reputation.

leon

I bought them direct mate. The guys at PMC have pretty rubbish English and I have no Japanese ability at all but with Google translate things got sorted no worries. Heck of alot cheaper than webike too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee