TOPIC:

Kiwi Z1R 05 Jul 2016 08:08 #733956

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
A little creativity is refreshing. B)
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi Z1R 12 Jul 2016 00:45 #734648

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Slowly, slowly, slowly............................................but surely :laugh: Knocked out the old bearing races and put in the new ones so I can now install nice new roller bearings in the steering head.

Action shot of my mate Eddie pressing the bottom bearing on. Beats me beating the shit of it with a bit of pipe and a big hammer. Amazing how easy the job is with the proper tools lol.

Hey presto, got a triple tree installed ready for the forks to go in. Just need to pick up some fork oil tomorrow and hopefully should have most of the frontend in tomorrow night.

Also managed to find time to drag my KZP out for a hoon on the weekend. Went for a ride to Taihape, 150k's there in the pissing down rain and freezing cold, and then 150k's home in more of the same. Was fun though and the big cop bike just eats the windy country roads. We even had time to partake in a pint, a pie, and bit of a gumboot throwing in Taihape (not much else to do there to be honest lol).

Gumboot throwing, only a couple of cars and bikes were hurt with the misthrows. :S

Kiwi Z1R 16 Jul 2016 00:10 #735090

• larriken
  • User
A day of failure and success today! :laugh: My mission at the moment is refurbing my instruments and one thing that has been bugging me is the tacho redline is now so sun faded it is a slightly whitey orange. Not very nice looking so I thought I would paint in some red to give it a new lease of life. What a cock up! I taped off the sections for painting and all looked good until I took the tape off. Bit of paint seepage under the tape. No biggie, I'll get some thinners and clean it off. It cleaned it off for sure, but also took the original black background and my 10 off too!!! :blink: Ooooops. From a distance (big distance) it looks okay but to be honest it really is a shit job so might just have to suck it up and buy a new tacho face.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 16 Jul 2016 00:47 #735094

• larriken
  • User
Today was the day to sort out my broken glass from the speedo. Luckily enough I found a couple of old speedos in a box at the back at the shed. I pulled the glass out of them and all I had to do was make a hole in the glass for the Z1R trip which exits out the front. To be honest I have never drilled a hole in glass before so I asked the guy down at the hardware store and he sent me home with diamond head drill bit. Apparently the ducks nuts for drilling holes in glass.

As it turns out I probably shouldn't be trusted with tools like this because to be damned if I could get that bit out of the box!!!!

I made a carboard centre for my glass sandwich and taped the glass to be drilled to the old glass with carboard in the middle. Mainly to keep the drill bit from moving around and to get the hole in the right place.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 16 Jul 2016 00:56 #735095

• larriken
  • User
Luckily for me I had two spare speedos because the first go was a complete failure! I got a bit impatient towards the end and speed the drill up without enough water to cool the bit and glass. Result, one more broken bit of glass!

Number two was a success, well at least it had a hole in it and it didn't break! :P A few little cracks around the edge of the hole from where the bit broke through on the back side of the glass. All good though as the edges are hidden by the trip knob..

While I was at it I also got a chance to paint the outers of the gauges so they will be all ready to put back together again.

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 16 Jul 2016 01:03 #735096

• larriken
  • User
Also picked up the new sprocket yesterday. I bought a ZX12R 44 tooth sprocket which is for a 530 chain. Slowly getting all the bits together!

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 17 Jul 2016 01:07 #735218

• larriken
  • User
Other than having to wait for a new tacho face to arrive :lol: I am nearly finished refurbing the clocks. New glass in and looks sweet!!

Kiwi Z1R 17 Jul 2016 01:09 #735219

• larriken
  • User
Ooops forgot the photos, not a post unless it has photos.

Old glass..............

New glass...........

Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 17 Jul 2016 06:59 #735239

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Looks good. B)
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: larriken

Kiwi Z1R 20 Jul 2016 00:54 #735514

• larriken
  • User
I imagine a few of you guys out there use Redline Cycles already but big thanks as usual to Jim. I order annoying small bits n bobs and it is no stress to him. Answers my dumb questions too. Ordered gaskets for my carbs and four days later in my mail box. Awesome, thanks Jim!
Attachments:

Kiwi Z1R 20 Jul 2016 07:59 #735542

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Got a link? The old one isn't working. Got a e-mail from him. Said someone hijacked his old one. "That's the way of the world now days."
Steve

Kiwi Z1R 24 Jul 2016 10:28 #736048

• larriken
  • User

swest wrote: Got a link? The old one isn't working. Got a e-mail from him. Said someone hijacked his old one. "That's the way of the world now days."
Steve

www.redlinecycle.com/oldkawpage.html