Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi GPZ 07 Jan 2022 05:35 #860150

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
Those engine mounts looks mighty fine in the frame. Built like a brick dunny with that thickness 
/A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi GPZ 08 Jan 2022 23:39 #860282

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61

Looks like if you get the swingarm angle right the chain line will work out ok. I'd be tempted to move the swingarm pivot closer to the engine now there's all that room there, a nice small wheelbase would be fun and speed up handling, you'd have heaps of options with swingarms too as length would be less of a problem.......
Had a good measure up last night and things aren't too far out. Need to space the front sprocket out by 5mm and I am lined up. I like the idea of moving the swingarm pivot but I am not molesting the frame too much. Will rebuild the original motor for it one day and may put that back in. 

Kiwi GPZ 08 Jan 2022 23:41 #860283

• larriken
  • User

Those engine mounts looks mighty fine in the frame. Built like a brick dunny with that thickness 
/A
Haha I know, wasn't going for weight loss with these bad boys!

Kiwi GPZ 09 Jan 2022 01:13 #860284

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

Looks like if you get the swingarm angle right the chain line will work out ok. I'd be tempted to move the swingarm pivot closer to the engine now there's all that room there, a nice small wheelbase would be fun and speed up handling, you'd have heaps of options with swingarms too as length would be less of a problem.......
Had a good measure up last night and things aren't too far out. Need to space the front sprocket out by 5mm and I am lined up. I like the idea of moving the swingarm pivot but I am not molesting the frame too much. Will rebuild the original motor for it one day and may put that back in. 
I was looking at a Rickman frame the other day and noticed the  gap between the pivot and the rear of the engine, that's where that thought came from. I know its probably sacrilege modifying a Rickman frame but it was the first thing I thought of, they have a rather short swingarm....

Kiwi GPZ 13 Jan 2022 00:11 #860467

• larriken
  • User
It would be fair to say that my process with this build is rather random and not at all like I normally do things.................That said though, I am enjoying it and it is slowly coming together. Got in some good hours on her over the last few days. Apologies, not too many photos but you get the idea.

First job was to get the motor mounted centrally and then sort out the chain. Motor was pretty straight forward, just a bit of time measuring and making some spacers on the lathe. I spent some time making sure I have the wheels inline and running straight. The rear wheel needed to move over a touch to get things lined up which meant I had to machine the sprocket carrier down but once that was done alignment was spot on. Yah! Even got the trusty old string out after to make me feel good!

To get the tank to fit with the carbs fitted I had to scratch my head for a while but came to the conclusion I would have to chop off the petcock bung. Filled the tank with water so I wouldn't blow myself up and jobs done. Petcock is going to move to the back of the tank via the fuel gauge hole.

Kiwi GPZ 13 Jan 2022 00:14 #860468

• larriken
  • User
Tank fits now and slips nicely over the top of the carbs. 

Kiwi GPZ 13 Jan 2022 00:20 #860469

• larriken
  • User
This is about I close as I have ever got to dry build lol. Over the next few days I will finish the battery box, mount the clocks, chop the back plastic fender down, make the mounts for the front guard, cut and shape the chain gaurd, mount an oil cooler, fit the gear linkage, fit the brake master cylinder, and fit the rear caliper torque arm. Okay, maybe I won't get that all done but I will give good shot! Once all that is squared away it will be time to pull it all to bits and start making it nice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

Kiwi GPZ 13 Jan 2022 00:52 #860471

• 750 R1
  • User

It would be fair to say that my process with this build is rather random and not at all like I normally do things.

That's exactly what my project is like, I've had to move every mount on the frame except the engine mounts, but I've even changed them to solid mount. I've had the body work on and off that many times i'm getting dizzy !  But its fun, and its turning out just the way I like it.
Yours is starting to look the goods too mate. What are you doing about paint ?  

Last edit: by 750 R1.

Kiwi GPZ 13 Jan 2022 11:06 #860483

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis is gonna be awesome. you should think about getting rid of the suzuki engine covers to really mess with people. maybe some sweet Yosh or NRC engine covers.

japan.webike.net/products/23836984.html

The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Kiwi GPZ 13 Jan 2022 21:49 #860502

• larriken
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

This is gonna be awesome. you should think about getting rid of the suzuki engine covers to really mess with people. maybe some sweet Yosh or NRC engine covers.

japan.webike.net/products/23836984.html

Great idea and those covers I nice!!

Kiwi GPZ 13 Jan 2022 21:52 #860503

• larriken
  • User

It would be fair to say that my process with this build is rather random and not at all like I normally do things.

That's exactly what my project is like, I've had to move every mount on the frame except the engine mounts, but I've even changed them to solid mount. I've had the body work on and off that many times i'm getting dizzy !  But its fun, and its turning out just the way I like it.
Yep, agree. I junked the front mounts that I spent ages making! They just didn't work out so got resigned to the failed prototype pile. Not sure on colour. I lover the big GPZ in green but alot have been done like that now................

Kiwi GPZ 14 Jan 2022 00:24 #860505

• 750 R1
  • User

Yep, agree. I junked the front mounts that I spent ages making! They just didn't work out so got resigned to the failed prototype pile. Not sure on colour. I lover the big GPZ in green but alot have been done like that now................
Yeah, I like the Kawasaki green too but its been done to death. I still haven't completely decided what colour scheme to use, The longer a project takes, the more time you have to overthink everything.  I have two tanks so I may buy another tail and side covers and have two colour schemes to choose from.... Could come in handy if I decide to rob a bank...!!!!