Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi GPZ 04 Sep 2021 01:57 #854789

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Furiously beavering away on sorting out the suspension linkage now that the swingarm is mounted properly. Found an odd linkage in the spare parts box and have decided to use this. Little bit shorter so fitting this means no binding anywhere. All seems to work okay and by all accounts my shit maths says that I haven't frigged with the leverage too much. Anyways, had to give it a little trim here and there to get it all to fit right. Real engineers will cringe at my work holding in my little mill lol! Hey, whatever gets the job done! 

Also scored spacers and the brake caliper mount from a ZZR. Just need sprocket carrier and cush rubbers now. Think I may have tracked down them down so fingers crossed that all comes together too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi GPZ 11 Sep 2021 01:39 #855119

• larriken
  • User
Okay, still trucking along on slowly. Picked up a sprocket carrier for the ZZR (ZX11) rear rim. Rim is now fitted and the swingram is sorted too. Started work on mounts for the new engine. I will start by getting the front of the motor sitting solid on the newly turned mounts I made. Once it is sitting firm I will measure up the back end of the motor so I can get the rear mounts lazer cut and fitted. Once the front and rear mounts are done and fitted I can start work getting the motor centred and the chain run sorted. Not much at all lol! 

Kiwi GPZ 12 Sep 2021 16:27 #855185

• larriken
  • User
Nothing terribly exciting over the weekend but I did find a pair of disc rotors from an old ZX6R that I discovered fit the ZZR rims. Wheel looks a bit less naked now and I can now find some calipers to press into service. Told you that this was going to be a cheap build lol.

Kiwi GPZ 13 Sep 2021 15:09 #855230

• larriken
  • User
Picked up the new motor for the GeepeeZed on the weekend! This is where the purists heads start spinning and green vomit shoots out all over the place  .

Drew up the mounts I need for the back of the engine and emailed the drawings off to get them lazer cut from steel. Once I am happy that they are going to work I will get another set cut that looks a bit prettier.

Kiwi GPZ 13 Sep 2021 16:11 #855233

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Where can I get one of those Kawasaki badges mate ?     
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

Kiwi GPZ 19 Sep 2021 13:59 #855488

• larriken
  • User

Where can I get one of those Kawasaki badges mate ?     

Special order, very expensive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

Kiwi GPZ 19 Sep 2021 14:11 #855489

• larriken
  • User
I was fossicking around in the shed looking for some W650 parts and found a front guard (fender) from a GSX250. Seeing as I need a guard for the GPZ with it's new 17" front rim I threw it on for a look and funnily enough it doesn't look to bad. Just need to make some brackets and trim the rear up a bit and it might be a keeper. While I was at it I dug out a nasty looking set of Tokico calipers from a early 2000's GSXR750 and fitted them up too. Same spacing as the ZZR1100 forks at 42mm, only issue with these ones were the M8 mounting bolts. It was either machine a spacer to slide into the ZZR fork leg or drill and tap the calipers to take and M10 bolt. I pondered it for a bit and since there is plenty of meat on the calipers I opted to go down the new bolt route. Disc rotors are cheap Chinese ones from a ZX6R but they are the same specs as the ZZR ones and will help to get the dry build done until I can rattle up a decent set. Too easy! Now I have brakes, well kind of....................I did tell you this was going to be a budget build!

Kiwi GPZ 19 Sep 2021 14:15 #855490

• larriken
  • User
Calipers fitted rather than just hanging in there. There seems to be an awful lot of Suzuki going into this Kawasaki 

Kiwi GPZ 19 Sep 2021 19:07 #855498

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
That front fender does look decent on there.

Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

Kiwi GPZ 21 Sep 2021 08:42 #855581

• howardhb
  • Sustaining Member
  • God, I trust
  • Thank you received: 431
So then, is it, officially, a KawaZuki GeePeeZed?
'81 GPz 550 D1 Click this link: www.kzrider.com/gallery/kz-550/1981-gpz550d1-9094#joomimg
'81 GPz 1100 B1 ELR "Tribute" www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/617040-1981-gpz1100-b1-rst
'82 Yamaha YB100 Fizzie
'79 Suzuki GT200 X5 TWO STROKE TWIN - SMOKER!

Kiwi GPZ 21 Sep 2021 14:52 #855598

• larriken
  • User

So then, is it, officially, a KawaZuki GeePeeZed?

I believe so  . It is a bit confused about it's gender.

Kiwi GPZ 25 Sep 2021 00:29 #855744

• larriken
  • User
Not a huge amount happening this week as I am waiting for the engine mounts to be lazer cut. Once I have those back I can sort out getting the engine central and lining up the rear wheel. Things kind of depend on all this stuff happening before I can do too much else. I did get some help from a friend of mine with an eye for good lines to mark out the front guard for a bit of surgery. Bit too long at the back so a bit of a trim is in need. Dragged the rolling chasis out into the sun too for a bit of an eyeball. Backend is sitting too high at the moment for my liking but again waiting on the new linkage to come back from lazer cutting. The new linkage has two heights, one about this height give or take and one that will drop it 50mm. Not sure how it is going to sit once there is an engine in there so bit of wait and see really.