Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi GPZ 28 Aug 2021 12:39 #854459

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Nice, looks like you want to do an Suzuki GS1200 ccm engine conversion.
I have all parts too but i am a little undecided between the GPZ/ZX 1100 UT or GSXR 1100 engine.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi GPZ 28 Aug 2021 16:52 #854479

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Thanks mate, looking forward to getting back into it! Cool beast the unitrack GPZ's.

Kiwi GPZ 28 Aug 2021 16:58 #854480

• larriken
  • User
Haha I was waiting to see if anyone would notice that. I have a cunning plan (well i think it is anyway). I am going to build the Kiwi GPZ with a Bandit 12 motor while I am rebuilding the GPZ motor from the two I have. I had a bandit 1200 motor sitting in the shed with loom, carbs, etc and thought why not! If I don't like it no problem, just swap the GPZ1100 motor back in when it's finished. If the it's awesome with the 1200 motor in it I will build a 2nd GPZ1100!! How's that for a plan .

Love what you have done with the mounts on your frame. Any chance you would be able to let me know some of the measurements of them? Would save me a load of time! Also really like the way you have done the front mounts. Looks like factory!

Kiwi GPZ 28 Aug 2021 23:00 #854492

• larriken
  • User
Swingarm is in now. Not 100% as I have a bit of work to do with the linkages to get it sitting right and working well. Currently I have put a GSF1200 shock in to work things out. The Mk1 Bandit shock is 306mm eye to eye and to get any height out of the back things jam up at the mo. I have a selection of lower links and will try a few different combinations tomorrow and see how I get on. So as she sits today it puts me back where I was about six years ago!! 

Kiwi GPZ 29 Aug 2021 13:05 #854522

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Glad to see you back here!

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the B12 engine. I put one in my '86 GSXR750. It is a riot. tons of torque - very fun street engine. Header, ignition advance, and a jet kit and it will put 115-120HP to the wheel. They sound ragged as hell but i kinda love it. the valve train is very noisey.
Attachments:

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Kiwi GPZ 29 Aug 2021 14:07 #854528

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
do you mind me asking what bearing configuration you used for the front end? i used a ZZr front end too and had to have a whole steering stem made and pressed into the lower fork clamp. Ill be kicking myself if there was an easier way. Plus to make the rear shock work i had to take a bit of meat away from the swing arm to stop it rubbing, about 20mm if i remember but i used the older model arm Plus i had to widen the front cowl/fairing bracket? if that what we will call it to stop the forks rubbing on it.
06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

Kiwi GPZ 29 Aug 2021 14:46 #854531

• larriken
  • User

Glad to see you back here!

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the B12 engine. I put one in my '86 GSXR750. It is a riot. tons of torque - very fun street engine. Header, ignition advance, and a jet kit and it will put 115-120HP to the wheel. They sound ragged as hell but i kinda love it. the valve train is very noisey.

Thanks mate, good to be back. My daily rider is a very sad looking and abused Mk1 Bandit 1200. I have had quite a few of them over the years and keep going back to them cos they are just such a great bike (and cheap). My beater is getting a birthday though and is slowly coming together. I bought a second Bandit to do the work too so that I don't have to take the daily off the road. Hence a spare 1200 motor lurking in the shed!

Kiwi GPZ 29 Aug 2021 14:55 #854533

• larriken
  • User

do you mind me asking what bearing configuration you used for the front end? i used a ZZr front end too and had to have a whole steering stem made and pressed into the lower fork clamp. Ill be kicking myself if there was an easier way. Plus to make the rear shock work i had to take a bit of meat away from the swing arm to stop it rubbing, about 20mm if i remember but i used the older model arm Plus i had to widen the front cowl/fairing bracket? if that what we will call it to stop the forks rubbing on it.

No worries at all. I used a triple clamp from a 1989 ZXR750 which bolts straight in and uses the same steering head bearings as the GPZ. All that is required to fit it is removing a small tab from the frame that binds up if left on. ZZR1100 forks are same diameter as the ZXR750 so a straight fit there. Forks/triple clamp clear the bracket no problem at all. I will post a photo later today. Yes, the rear end is going to take a bit of thinking. What shock did you use on your one?

Last edit: by larriken.

Kiwi GPZ 29 Aug 2021 15:17 #854539

• kzstreetfighter71
  • User
  • Atlantic West Coast
  • Thank you received: 250
Wow.. ok that’s a whole load of work around I didn’t have to do.. ah well. I used a W.P shock I got from Scirocco, was close to the standard gpz shock size. Yea just looking closer and there is a big difference between the older and later swing arms. Not sure if you can grind away at the newer one and there are no pin bearings on the swing arm on the older ones.
06 Gsf 1200 bandit, 08 Triumph tiger 1010
05 Yam xv1700 , 02 Hon shadow 1100
1975 Z1 (currently working on)
1977 Z1000 ( running and in storage)
1978 Z1000 (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "skinny tank" (currently working on)
1978 Z1r "fat tank (gathering parts)
1979 z1000st (currently working on)

Kiwi GPZ 01 Sep 2021 00:59 #854674

• larriken
  • User
Yah, scored a ZZR rear rim today. No sprocket carrier and cush rubbers unfortunately but it was pretty cheap so now just have to find the other bits and I am in action.

Kiwi GPZ 03 Sep 2021 00:15 #854761

• larriken
  • User
Got into the shed again today and fitted the risers and bars. Added the clutch and front brake master cylinder cylinder from VFR800 while I was at it. I am attempting to not blow the budget with this build so digging deep into the random parts bin in my shed. 

Kiwi GPZ 03 Sep 2021 00:18 #854762

• larriken
  • User
Also got busy on the lathe and started making the bushes and spacers I need to fit the ZZR1100 swingarm using the GPZ pivot bolt.