I picked up this old turbo drag bike the other day and just fired it up last night after working on it.
The bike is a 1075 with a ported head titanium valves and retainers It has flat top turbo pistons with a rajay turbo and the real hard to find spider pipes. It has a 6 quart oil pan with hinge and heavy duty oil pump. It also has a mkii crank that is all welded. It has a 6 inch over swingarm with a cosmon wheel. The frame has been racked 4 or 6 degrees. It's pretty much a big motor in a frame. I also have a 1325 cylinder and turbo pistons if you want to go faster. The motor in this bike is a little smaller, so it wouldn't overheat on hot days.
Yes, the ZRX in the background has a turbo also.
After getting this bike running, I found out it had some problems because the previous owner boosted the motor with no waste gate.
I decided to tear it down and check what all needed to be fixed.
I sent the turbo out to Mr. Turbo to be serviced also. Everything is back, but I'm still waiting on APE cylinder studs before I can put the top end back on.
I was sent the wrong studs by mistake last week.
This is how my old 1973 Z1 motor looks at this time.
Crank is fine.
I pulled the engine apart because it was blowing oil out the turbo and the head gasket was leaking.
I wanted to make sure I didn't have a broken ring or one that wasn't installed correctly.
You know how it is buying something someone else has worked on before you?
You never really know what might have been done, until you see for yourself.
Rings ended up being okay, but had a button had been replaced on a wrist pin with a clip.
I ordered a replacement set from MTC.
After the turbo was inspected and a long conversation with Mr. Turbo, I think it was drawing oil out of the turbo return line because the engine was overfull on oil.
Started putting the drag bike motor together yesterday, after installing the new APE cylinder studs I got from Dick Speed. The old studs were a P.I.T.A. to remove.
Next I installed the pistons. The wrist pins are held in place with a nylon button, not clips.
It was now fun trying to keep 8 nylon buttons in place, while trying to install two pistons at a time with my homemade hose clamp ring compressor. I also made wooden blocks to keep the pistons from rolling back in the engine case.