Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 27 Jun 2018 21:09 #786014

• Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 24
Oh REALLY??? I haven't heard of that one, sounds very interesting! Thanks for the tip, I'll check into that. Not much I can do about it right now, I'll have to give the tank and side panels a full rework before clearing them again, but I'll get to it eventually...
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 30 Jun 2018 21:08 #786195

• Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 24
Was able to clean up the tank a bit today. My first mistake when the gas ran over the paint was to try and wipe it down with a rag. I think I would have been better off hosing it down with water. So I took a putty knife to it and scraped off the nasty part of the smears, which made it look quite a bit better. All right, maybe there's still hope to salvage it? I pulled out the rubbing compound and the drill and worked over the spots for awhile. Certainly not pristine, but from 20 feet back you can't see it any more. Considering how bad it looked, I'll take that as a win!

The new turn signals are scheduled for delivery on Monday, then I'll be fully functional again. I've been doing some reading on welding aluminum and it seems like argon gas is pretty much required. I never needed it for steel, but it appears to be time to pick up a bottle now. Fortunately I got the welder with the kit for using gas so I just need to break out the regulator. In the meantime I've been looking over this meter bracket and noticed the mounting tabs bend back almost onto the body of the bracket. I'm thinking once I have the tabs welded back in place again I can really beef of the strength of the bracket by adding short supports between the tabs and the bracket body, which should eliminate any vibration through the welds.

I'm starting to reconsider making a new bracket from steel...
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 14 Aug 2021 13:02 #853806

• aquaholic
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
  • Thank you received: 36
I had a heck time bleeding my front brakes and bought 2 new master cylinders until I figured out that the bleeders need to be on top of the caliper to bleed properly lol. I had them mounted on the wrong side of the tire. I'm an idiot but maybe it will help someone else.Keep wrenching