Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 23 Mar 2018 16:35 #780700

• Dr. Gamma
  • Dr. Gamma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664

Yes I did. # 000062. It was 5 seconds slower a lap around Road America than my Kz Superbike I built!!! So I sold it.

Who knew they would some day be worth what they are now.

I was a " C " rider with "A" equipment. I never raced at the level of Lawson. Plus I had to go to work on Monday morning. Plus I was involved with a few large dealerships back then. I got a couple of large bonuses for not going racing till after Labor Day!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 23 Mar 2018 19:33 #780708

• 577nitro
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55
Too freaking cool, yeah who would have known. I had an 77 RD400 mint for $400.00 I bought with my spring tuition money in the fall rode it until next fall and had to sell it for school. They go for $4000.00 or more. I also had a 77 kh400 my brother and I raced one season sold it to get a 81 gpz550 to race. Sold that to get my RZ350 to race, put stupid amounts of money into it to make it competitive; which it was. I could keep up with the cbr600 ....then life got in the way. I just scored two mint....but not running 98 cbr600f3 smokin’ joe se’ for $2500.00 all in. 11000 miles on both. They sat for 8years without any pickling. I have to replace the entire fuel system on both and rebuild the carbs, coils are shot too. I’m thinking about racing one and giving my son one to learn on. We ride dirt as well....I was better at that, enduros.

What do you think made the S1 slower? Was the frame modified like your KZ mkII? Does any body modify frames like that anymore?

Hey sorry for all the questions, but not too many people have that first hand experience with these bikes like you do. They were 10 years before my time. But I love them.

Js

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 24 Mar 2018 12:01 #780733

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
My first road race bike was a KH400. I ran 400 Production for a few years.

The '81/'82 Kz1000J and GPz1100 frames don't need a major modifications to handle. Everything Kawasaki learned from the '79/'80 Superbikes was incorporated into the '81/'82 stock frames. There is only one small extra brace added to the S1 frame to make it different from the stock J model frame!!!

The stock S1 forks were pure junk out of the crate. The major problem was the excessive clearance between the inner and outer fork legs!!! The S1 motor out of the crate only made like 115 to 120 horsepower. Like any Japanese racebike, you take it all a part, and make sure everything is up to snuff before you put it on the track. Thats when I found the forks were not right. The first time I raced it, I got into a major wobble going around the Carousel at Road America. I was not expecting any of that from a factory race bike. Not for something I just paid 11,000 dollars for!!!! Thats when I parked it, and ran my MK. II that weekend.

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 24 Mar 2018 19:44 #780761

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
I learned how to ride on a KH400 and used the bike to get my licence , then moved to the kz750ltd in 1980, I still have it, and ride all summer long. I watched the video of the katana at the track, really enjoyed it.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 24 Mar 2018 20:38 #780765

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503

Dr. Gamma wrote: Yes I did. # 000062.

Like everyone else I'm fascinated by the S1. Can you tell us about how you came to own one? What was the process? There were only about 30 made? I figured they would be reserved for race teams, but it sounds like you were a lone privateer. And do you know where it went after you sold it?

Also, it looks like the ELR registry is gone? www.kz1000r.com returns 403 for me.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 25 Mar 2018 12:03 #780789

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member

mopguy wrote: I learned how to ride on a KH400 and used the bike to get my licence , then moved to the kz750ltd in 1980, I still have it, and ride all summer long. I watched the video of the katana at the track, really enjoyed it.

My KH400 Production road racer back in 1977. This is the bike I learned how to road race on. I still own it today. It was in great shape until I had it in storage inside my buddy's garage, and for some unknown reason he put it outside uncovered. The Illinois winter took a real toll on it. When I loaded it up in my van, water poured out of the pipes!!! I was sick when I saw that!!

Attachments:

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 25 Mar 2018 12:23 #780791

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member

DOHC wrote:

Like everyone else I'm fascinated by the S1. Can you tell us about how you came to own one? What was the process? There were only about 30 made? I figured they would be reserved for race teams, but it sounds like you were a lone privateer. And do you know where it went after you sold it?

Also, it looks like the ELR registry is gone? www.kz1000r.com returns 403 for me.

Kawasaki built just under 30 of them in late 1981. At first you had to send Kawasaki a resume on your racing history before they would sell you one. The S1's were late getting here for the start of the '82 racing season. Only Harry Klinzmann got one in time for Daytona. 1982 was also the very last season for AMA 1000cc Superbike. They were going to 750cc Superbike for 1983. By the end of 1982, Kawasaki had a bunch of the S1's sitting in the warehouse. They then started to sell them to anyone with the cash. Most were sold to collectors, and some were parted out. I think the last one that was sold was the one that sat in Gary Mathers (Kawasaki's racing boss in U.S.A.) office in early 1984. I worked for a very large Kawasaki dealership in Chicago, and I had no problem getting my S1.

The man I sold my bike to was a SUPER rich collector in Japan. He would not even talk to normal people. I found out through the grapevine who he was. I sold most of my S1 spares on Ebay to a guy in Japan. He became some what of a friend. I turned him on to that S1 that was on Ebay, and sold for 107,250.00 dollars. He got out bid. Some how through a second party he was able to buy my old S1. He sent me all kinds of pictures of it after he picked it up. It looked like it sat outside from the photos. The first buyer tried to make a street bike out of it, but gave up on doing it. The new owner will give it a good home, and I think he deserves to have it!!! Yes I do today regret selling it. Could of Would of Should of!!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, 577nitro

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma. Reason: badd grammer!!

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 12 Apr 2018 12:16 #781713

• 577nitro
  • User

Dr. Gamma wrote: If you are looking for a light set of 18 inch wheels, look into find like some 1986~1987 GSXR750/1100 wheels. The early 1100's had a 2.75X18 front and a 4.00X18 rear. The 750 had a 2.50X18 front and a 3.50X18 rear. And they don't weigh much at all!!!

If my Morris on my MK II start to come apart, I might have to adapt the extra GSXR1100 wheels I have for my GSXR750 LTD. I like the vintage Morris wheels Marvic is making, but at over 3,500 U.S. dollars for a pair. I would have to sell my kidney to afford a set!!!!

Just saw this post...I know it's old but I had to reply.....in regards to the 86/87 GSXR wheels, I did use them on my 1981 GPZ1100....they seem to me to be a no brainer. I milled out spacers, and tweak here and there. Used a gsxr rear brake, milled some pieces for it. Welded the brake mount on the bottom. I had to mill the brake rotor mounts in about 6mm to clear the stock forks. Milled the speedometer drive down a little and a little off the fork. The drive even works with a 1984 GPZ1100 or ZX 750 speedometer and gauges. IT's ~3 MPH off at 75mph. Tank gauge works, tach etc.... I used a zx750 light cluster and it bolted right on with some english. I hated that friggin ugly cluster that come on the b1... Using the stock swingarm I didn't have to use a offset front sprocket so no worries with the pickoff shaft side loading and toasting the bearings and seals. I had to cup the swing arm just a tad, nothing big. I used the 1100 rear wheel so i could run a 150 or 160, but if you used the 750 3.5" and a 140 it will clear no problem. Of course, like all projects, I found a even better "family recipe" using a set of zx1100 triple clamps (which are ~.75" wider, and zrx1100 rotors(same bolt pattern)) which have 1/3" the offset, which them makes milling the rotor mounts not necessary. You do need to make a brake adapter, which is easy. However...the gixxr axle front axle is 2mm larger, so I had to make some inserts on my lathe so the fit was correct. All of the small stuff is a pain in the butt, and took 90% of the time. So far no issues I aligned the front and to 1/8" and have experienced no wobbles or slappers. I need to seriously upgrade the front fork internals. I have a set of racetech springs and GoldValve Emulators ready to be installed. I am installing a fork brace and steering dampener as well. Rear shocks are off a ZRX1100 rebuilt and revalved and with hyperpro springs by Jamie Daughtery. He says don't bother with the Ohlins, the KYB's properly tuned work as good ot better for way less.

Do you know what the weight difference is between the GSXR wheels and you Morris's? I'm sure they weigh way less.

JS-
Attachments:

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 12 Apr 2018 13:26 #781714

• 577nitro
  • User

Dr. Gamma wrote:

Street Fighter LTD wrote: You Won with that Kaw in my book Doc ;)

VJMC shows seem to attract small cc original / restored bike fans..

When Les and I have shown our Turbo Bikes with them at a major show the VJMC members who stop by ogle the little dirt bikes . But the

Folks that come to see the whole show love the big muscle bikes way more than the little 2 strokes.. Cant please them all :pinch:

Dave B) B) B)

You hit that nail on the head!!!! Some of them will go ape sh*t over some beat up CB350, and walk right by a TZ750 road racer!!!!

Besides that, I really enjoyed being at the show. Most of the people there were GREAT!!!!

It's the millennials.... all they care about is looking hippster duffus on some dicked up cb400 with goofball tires. Cuzz it's cool...and most of them have no clue even how to work on the bikes. I know I've been to a number of VMJC and other vintage/cafe stuff around Denver. I've taken my period correct RZ350 restored racebike to these and only some other old guys know what it is. Hippsters geek on the yellow tank...not the badassness of a fully prep stage 4 ported and polished engine with choice TZ parts that pulls power wheelie s in second with howl on the pipe like a Night Banshee ...nope.... Dude it's yellow...cool... then followed by a what is it <<< "truly spoken to me" . TZ750....thats a mans bike. Google the guy that road a TZ750 at the Isle of Man TT last year, he has a full lap recorded....sweet music of that engine. Can't help it I'm a twostroke -aholic.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 12 Apr 2018 14:38 #781716

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
Enjoyed reading your last reply!!!! I have to watch myself on what I write here. It might be millennials, but couple things that really get my blood pressure up are these "things' these people make out of a perfectly good sportbikes what are they called, stunt bikes. Yea it must be real cool to ride down the street standing on your seat as you are doing a wheelie!!! What a waste of someone's talent, and a motorcycle. The biggest joke I have seen in the motorcycle world in the last few years are these butt ugly things called bobbers. I won't even go any further on that subject so I don't pi$$ off some people here on KzR!!!

I grew up building and riding Kawasaki two stroke triples!!! I always liked going fast, and going around corners. I would go to the drag strip once and a while too. The H2 you see here ran in the low 11,s to high 10's without a wheelie bar, and no powershifting!!! I forgot how many sets of Denco ported cylinders I had for my H2. I also have a set of Kevin Cameron ported cylinders and pipes for the H2. I held on to those to this very day!!! I still have a few two stroke bikes left. I love to ride or just hear my Rg 500. Go to my facebook page and see more photos of my bikes past and present....Look for Rob Kiekenapp.

I just wish I had the money, and my health back so I could go vintage racing. I can't believe how much everything costs today for my bikes. I can't even afford the insurance and a new set of tires this year for my GSXR. Oh Well end of my soapbox.
I built this bike back in 1974.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 12 Apr 2018 14:43 #781717

• 577nitro
  • User

Dr. Gamma wrote:

DOHC wrote:

Kawasaki built just under 30 of them in late 1981. At first you had to send Kawasaki a resume on your racing history before they would sell you one. The S1's were late getting here for the start of the '82 racing season. Only Harry Klinzmann got one in time for Daytona. 1982 was also the very last season for AMA 1000cc Superbike. They were going to 750cc Superbike for 1983. By the end of 1982, Kawasaki had a bunch of the S1's sitting in the warehouse. They then started to sell them to anyone with the cash. Most were sold to collectors, and some were parted out. I think the last one that was sold was the one that sat in Gary Mathers (Kawasaki's racing boss in U.S.A.) office in early 1984. I worked for a very large Kawasaki dealership in Chicago, and I had no problem getting my S1.

The man I sold my bike to was a SUPER rich collector in Japan. He would not even talk to normal people. I found out through the grapevine who he was. I sold most of my S1 spares on Ebay to a guy in Japan. He became some what of a friend. I turned him on to that S1 that was on Ebay, and sold for 107,250.00 dollars. He got out bid. Some how through a second party he was able to buy my old S1. He sent me all kinds of pictures of it after he picked it up. It looked like it sat outside from the photos. The first buyer tried to make a street bike out of it, but gave up on doing it. The new owner will give it a good home, and I think he deserves to have it!!! Yes I do today regret selling it. Could of Would of Should of!!!!

Hey, I know we bug you to death on the S1, because they have reached mythical status, what were the internal changes to the engine? What was done to the crank and rods any thing? Were the heads ported at all? Bigger valves? What was the cam profile as compared to the stock one? Did they make any changes to the frame geometry?
I heard somewhere that the head angle could be adjusted is that true?

Speaking of the Vetter bike, there is a guy who collects old race bikes and he has the vetter bike. I've spoken to him a couple times, nice guy has a unbelievable collection of honda superbikes raced by the factory guys at the time, Bubba, Flying Fred, Fast Freddie. I think he has a S1 or part of one.

Better Than Nothing---The rebirth of a Superbike. 12 Apr 2018 15:14 #781719

• 577nitro
  • User

Dr. Gamma wrote: Enjoyed reading your last reply!!!! I have to watch myself on what I write here. It might be millennials, but couple things that really get . The biggest joke I have seen in the motorcycle world in the last few years are these butt ugly things called bobbers. I won't even go any further on that subject so I don't pi$$ off some people here on KzR!!!

Oh God those fugly-ass things!! What the Figg are they supposed to be anyway? Rattle can sprayed with stove pipe black paint with some crazy tire with no edge...how do they even turn on those? Ugh.....My GPZ550 project is a "Rescue Bike" ; guy...young kid, was about to butcher it into some hot mess, and I stepped in and bought it off him just to save it. Point in time bike, when things changed, middleweights started to make real power and handle....and a bike I also raced for a while, took my wife on some dates with...she told me she won't have gone out with me if I didn't have a cool bike!

H2 's are stupid money now, collectors snapping them all up...I remember you couldn't give them away. I had KH400, my brother and I split the cost $25 apiece to buy it!
Now, good grief their like $4000.00 or more. I had a number of RD's for a while too. I guess the only reason I kept the RZ is because I had so much money into it.

I saw your Gamma..really sweet, I raced against some in late eighties and early nineties at SIR in Seattle, the canadians from BC would bring them down and race.

I'd love to score a GXSR Limited (rattle clutch!), OW1 or a RC30... Out of my reach now with kids going to college.

js