Well, time for an update...The previous owner had a machine shop, and he offered to put the head together for me...it sat and sat...cams were too pitted and the bearings would not clearance. It took forever to get the replacement title squard away, but I did find a key that fit.
However, I ended up taking a new job in Nashville TN. The Z1R was shipped with me, and I now have it registered in TN. I contacted Cavanaugh racing, and Larry referred me to a local guy who is a KZ expert. Since the motor is in pieces and I have no experience with them, I'll just have this guy "Max" put it together for me.
Stand by for news!
Looks like I might need a new tank as well. Looking at the pieces today, I have a rust hole in the bottom.
Parts were all dropped off the Max today, he is going to tear into it and let me know. He said nothing looks too bad. Of course there are all sorts of options. I was thinking keep it totally stock, but then again, that rear tire sure is skinny! A few upgrades might be a good idea!
Motor is complete and ready to go. Despite having only 15K miles on the odo, turns out it already had a Weisco big bore kit installed The head was ported, and everything ran through and checked out. It was well within specs and just needed cleaned up and sorted. The stock carbs had some corrosion and issues, but the Mikini 36 flat slides were near perfect, so I'll run those. Now I just need to restore the tank, clean up the Chassis, and get it on the road!