Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 27 Apr 2007 14:31 #134746

• Jornum1
  • Jornum1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I started this project about a year ago. I bought the bike off ebay that summer. I rode it for the summer, then decided to go ahead with my plans for a "streetfighter".
Here is what it looked like when I bought it. Not the greatest pics, but it gives you a idea.

I bought a front end and rear swing arm from a 2005 GSXR Hyabusha.
Here are my current pics of the front end, monoshock, and swing arm mounted. I also shortened the tail about 6 inches. Everything is still rough, but solid.

I also have been working on my seat pan. Here are some pics of my progress on that.

Next is to put the engine in, and make my rear sets.

Any opinions/advice?
Thanks,
Jay

I also shortened the tail, and started on my seat pan.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/04/27 19:39

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 27 Apr 2007 16:06 #134777

• fastestz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
very nice!,glad to see unlike most frontend/rear swaps you don't have it sittin a mile high like a dirt bike,what are your plans for the engine? High Performance rebuild?

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 27 Apr 2007 16:09 #134779

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like you have done some nice work there. What are your plans for the motor. Are you keeping it stock?

If you decide to upgrade the ponies on the twin it wouldn't hurt to pick fellow kzr member steell's brain. He seems to be the resident expert on the 750 doubles.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 27 Apr 2007 16:44 #134793

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Sheesh, these guys (Jornum1 and Shoe48) are doing such great jobs with the twins I just want to hang my head in shame and slink off into the sunset:woohoo:
KD9JUR

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 27 Apr 2007 17:39 #134811

• Jornum1
  • User
Thanks guys, I am trying. It sat for about 6 months, and now I have been really digging in to get it finished soon.
I haven't played with the ride height yet, I am going to have to wait till I get the pipes on and such before I do that. But I hope to keep the suspension as low as I can while remaining safe and ridable.
I am going to keep the engine stock for this summer. I definitely want to upgrade the performance side over the winter. I dont know whether I want to stay with the twin or go 4 cylinder. I will think about that after this riding season. I have the bug right now to ride, so I want to finish it up and enjoy it.

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 28 Apr 2007 06:17 #134939

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
steell wrote:

Sheesh, these guys (Jornum1 and Shoe48) are doing such great jobs with the twins I just want to hang my head in shame and slink off into the sunset:woohoo:

It might be next year before I get mine done as the $$$$$ are running out ,, I also have two bikes to ride this summer too .. I am sure when you get the garage done things will look better for you too

Post edited by: Shoe48, at: 2007/04/28 09:18

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 28 Apr 2007 21:17 #135140

• Jornum1
  • User
I had some time today to play with making my own rear sets. I decided to use the stock mounting location. I drilled out the stock holes and tapped them to 1/2". I then cut out the basic shape out of some 1/2" flat stock, and drilled the holes.

I am using tapered screws to get a flush fit. Though my countersink died on me, and I didnt have another one with a large enough diameter. I will have to finish them up next week. But you get the idea. Here is one mounted.

Then I took a piece of 7/8" round and turned it down to 1/2" on the end to fit the mounting hole. Then turned down another 3/4" to 5/8" diameter for the shifter/brake. This is just a practice piece I made up quickly to see how it would work.
What do you think?
Keep in mind everything is still very rough. I will make the mounting plate "pretty", after I get the logistics worked out. I probably will shape it nice, and drill some holes in decending diameters to lighten and dress it up.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/04/29 08:14

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 22 May 2007 20:28 #142624

• budzilla
  • User
That is sweeeeet! What mods were required to make the swingarm and front end fit?

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 22 May 2007 20:28 #142625

• budzilla
  • User
That is sweeeeet! What mods were required to make the swingarm and front end fit?

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 25 May 2007 09:32 #143399

• Jornum1
  • User
For the front end I had to take out the KZ stem and fit it into the GSXR trees. I had to fab a adapter on a lathe because the KZ's stem is much smaller then the GSXR's. Oh also I needed to bore out the GSXR's top tree to fit the KZ stem. The hole was smaller then the KZ's.

For the swing arm it was basically the same deal. I had to fab an adapter to use the stock swingarm bolt to the GSXR swingarm. I also had to do some griding on the frame to fit the arm in. I ended up grinding it down flat and using shims to center the arm.

Thats about it. Pretty easy, but you need access to a mill and/or lathe.

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 26 May 2007 04:13 #143596

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I saw something yesterday that would make cutting out rearsets a breeze, a waterjet.

Those things are impressive, just feed it the program, set up the flat stock, and watch it cut out an intricate pattern in minutes, made the wheels start turning in my head :)

I was there because I needed two 1 3/4" holes cut in a 3/4" thick flat spring leaf for a Mack truck, and a waterjet was the only thing that could do it without affecting the metal (no heat involved).

I might have to learn to program G code :)
KD9JUR

78 KZ 750 / 2005 GSXR streetfighter project 26 May 2007 04:33 #143599

• Jornum1
  • User
Yeah those Waterjets look pretty sweet. Great for applications like yours, or other 2d cutting. Its amazing what a little water can do!
I have been trying to push for a basic CNC Lathe and mill at work. I do all my blueprinting on Auto cad, so it would make my job a lot easier! Not to mention the parts I could make for the bike then, he he! I am only a novice machinist, took some classes, and have learned a lot from our in house machinist. But it would revolutionize our place to go down the digital road.
Anyway,

I will have to post new pics of my rearsets. I scrapped the steal and went to aluminum. Same concept, but much lighter, and easier to work with. I love aluminum. If I knew how to weld it, I would build every part of my bike out of it!

• Page: