Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ550 vintage racer 06 Mar 2007 07:51 #117688

• krok18
  • krok18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1981 KZ550 LTD and I would like to make a vintage racer. About 3 years ago I re-ringed it, new clutch, and a few other tweaks on the way back together. But nothing to a power or style. And that is what I want to do now. But I would like some advice on where to start to get the the power. I know general engine mods that will do this, but I don't want to go down a path the is not right for the KZ. I would appreciate any opinions or tips.

Also, on the style side of things I am looking for some parts or suggestions.
1) Exhaust, used 4-1 wanting to get rid of?(I know this is power also)
2) Shocks, What can I use to raise the rear end. I would like to jack it up to improve the cornering and the looks.
3) Rims, Does any one know of sport bike rims that would fit in the swing arm and front forks?
4) Bars, Does anyone have a set of drag bars laying around in the corner of their hop they would like to get rid of?

Thanks for the feedback in advance

Krok18

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ550 vintage racer 06 Mar 2007 07:57 #117692

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi krok18,

Were you by chance inspired by the Mid Ohio 550 LTD that got made into a vintage racer?

www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=26581
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

KZ550 vintage racer 06 Mar 2007 09:59 #117741

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
That bike was my 'sign' that my 550 was the bike for me.. when I heard that the bike I bought was barely better than a parts bike, I was really concerned..but when I opened my Motorcyclist, there it was - beautiful and green!

Awesome ride.
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

KZ550 vintage racer 06 Mar 2007 10:03 #117743

• krok18
  • User
Yeah I was. I just read a short editorial on it in a back issue of Motorcyclist. I happen to already own one of these bikes and thought like that sounded like a good
project. I am into riding (streetfightered) sport bikes right now. I have a 1995 FZR1000 (streetfighter) as a basket case at the moment. But when the parts get here next week it should be a quick rebuild. Given my current interests I thought this looked like a nice melding between what I have at my disposal and what I like to work on. Not trying to copy cat, the article simply inspired me. Hope that doesn't rub anyone the wrong way.

Any help or suggestion would be great.

Krok

KZ550 vintage racer 08 Mar 2007 10:00 #118386

• krok18
  • User
Don't everybody type at once now.....

KZ550 vintage racer 08 Mar 2007 10:15 #118390

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
We'll get more 'verbal' once we start seeing some pics!

;)
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

KZ550 vintage racer 08 Mar 2007 12:58 #118421

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
If you are inspired to build and ride a machine, it's a beautiful thing..(wipes away a tear, sniff). It should not matter a bit to anyone else what started the inspiration for you.

When I got my 750 project and saw a few rides in the Gallery, I said to myself, "Self, you're going to rob this paint job, and that handlebar, and that seat, and those wheels, and have a little fun." :silly:
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

KZ550 vintage racer 08 Mar 2007 15:34 #118452

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
OKC_Kent wrote:

"Self, you're going to rob this paint job, and that handlebar, and that seat, and those wheels, and have a little fun." :silly:

There's an old saying:
"There's really nothing new under the sun"

Whether it's music, sports, art, bikes or design...it usually harkens back to the ones who have come before us. This is why the word "unique" is getting kinda overused.

I don't mind getting inspiration from my predecessors 'cause there have been some pretty creative folks who were around long before this lifetime...DaVinci for example.

So, I use the ideas and info that's available, make them my own and learn from them as I go...plus, give thanks for all the help from youse guys.

Welcome aboard krok18. :)

KZ550 vintage racer 10 Mar 2007 08:25 #118927

• Breeze
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I would start here if your goning to go vintage racing. Search around the forums and be sure to read the rulebook. This will give the info you need as well as what mods you can do and stay in the vintage arena..

www.wera.com/

[edit] I just re-read your original post. I assume you are building for the street?? If so, there may not be much there to help ya out except for speed mods. I don't have links but there a couple of street fighter sites in the UK and Aussie that might help as well.

Post edited by: Breeze, at: 2007/03/10 11:31
Columbus.Ohio

• Page: