• Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 08 Aug 2022 18:15 #871898

• KZintheADK
  • KZintheADK's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey y’all,
Tim here, I’m a noob from the beautiful Adirondack mountains in Northern New York State. I’ve got 79 KZ400B in pretty good shape sold to me by a passionate old bike lover that felt it was time to move on. It’s not going to win any beauty pageants or drag races, but it’s a solid runner with tons of vibe. I’m excited to roll up my sleeves and learn how to work on bikes from this era.
I’m also pro outdoor guide (fishing, hunting, backpacking, paddling, winter stuff… you name it). I’m always down to talk outdoor stuff and down to trade hunting and fishing tips for bike help! Anyway, I’m thrilled to be here and keep making progress with my KZ.
best,
Tim
1979 KZ400B
Southern Adirondacks, NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 09 Aug 2022 15:14 #871933

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 370
Welcome. The KZ400s are cool, underappreciated bikes. The 1979 had the best looking tanks IMO. 
What are your plans? 
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZintheADK

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 11 Aug 2022 05:25 #872034

• KZintheADK
  • User
Hi Guy,
Yeah I agree in terms of looks and kz400s being under appreciated. I hadn’t necessarily set out to buy a classic kz400 but it kinda fell into my lap. The looks and simplicity are what sold me on it.
Initially I’m starting by getting the bike really well cleaned up and tuned. I’ll give the carbs a full rebuild and sync, check timing and points, change fork oil, lube everything that needs lube. Really anything that looks like it hasn’t been done in a while. The brake lines, disk/cal/pads and drum all seem to be in pretty good shape, so I’ll just monitor those and replace as needed. All the electrical works.
Aesthetically I’m torn between just cleaning the gunk/dust off the chassis and then letting the bike wear his 43 years of dents and nicks proudly. I actually kind of love the road wear and patina on it. I may also turn it into a resto project, but only getting it back to very clean, original looks. A only after he’s running like a top. I’ll share pics soon.
best,
Tim
1979 KZ400B
Southern Adirondacks, NY

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 11 Aug 2022 05:55 #872036

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 222
Welcome. 
If the brakes have never been rebuilt they’ll need it regardless of how clean the fluid is in the reservoirs. Gunk builds up in the calipers and behind the piston seals that a fluid flush won’t get out.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 11 Aug 2022 06:22 #872038

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Also, the adhesive that holds the friction material to the rear brake shoes deteriorates with age, regardless of use. It can look fine, then let go without warning. They are pretty cheap and not worth taking a chance on.
The routine maintenance chart in the service manual is an excellent list to follow to insure that everything is up to snuff. By performing all of those tasks, you will be sure that the bike is operating properly and safely. On a used bike, I would assume that none of the maintenance has ever been done, and proceed from there.

www.kz400.com/WorkshopManFrameset-5.html
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 11 Aug 2022 06:39 #872042

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
A good strip and clean of the carbs is recommended. Probably dried gas residue in there. Use high E guitar string or stiff nylon brush bristle to poke all the tiny passages. Unless the jets are mangled keep them and clean them as they will be better than the lower quality ones found in carb kits. Replace the O rings as whats in there now are probably old and brittle.

When you get stuck into it there are lots of folk here who can point you to o ring and OEM jet suppliers.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 12 Aug 2022 20:35 #872141

• KZintheADK
  • User
Thank you all for the recommendations, especially the brake tips. The seller mentioned having a hard time finding certain rubber components for the caliper. Do y’all have any insights about caliper gaskets that are especially hard to find? It’s a 79 KZ400. Thanks again!
1979 KZ400B
Southern Adirondacks, NY

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 13 Aug 2022 03:32 #872144

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 370

Thank you all for the recommendations, especially the brake tips. The seller mentioned having a hard time finding certain rubber components for the caliper. Do y’all have any insights about caliper gaskets that are especially hard to find? It’s a 79 KZ400. Thanks again!
Ah yes, the unobtainable KZ400 caliper seal. I tried the very expensive eBay replacement  but am going to convert mine over to the EX500 caliper and Master. 
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 13 Aug 2022 08:32 #872155

• KZintheADK
  • User

TexasKZ post=872038Also, the adhesive that holds the friction material to the rear brake shoes deteriorates with age, regardless of use. It can look fine, then let go without warning. They are pretty cheap and not worth taking a chance on.
The routine maintenance chart in the service manual is an excellent list to follow to insure that everything is up to snuff. By performing all of those tasks, you will be sure that the bike is operating properly and safely. On a used bike, I would assume that none of the maintenance has ever been done, and proceed from there.

www.kz400.com/WorkshopManFrameset-5.html

Wow, this service manual is VERY nice compliment to my Clymer manual. I’m pretty deep into the Clymer at this point and poked around of that website but hadn’t seen these manuals yet. Thanks a lot for sharing.
1979 KZ400B
Southern Adirondacks, NY

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 13 Aug 2022 08:35 #872156

• KZintheADK
  • User

Ah yes, the unobtainable KZ400 caliper seal. I tried the very expensive eBay replacement  but am going to convert mine over to the EX500 caliper and Master. 

No luck with the eBay replacement? I did see that out there… The seller told me at one point he found someone in Switzerland (I think?) that was custom making that seal. He even purchased a bunch of them, installed one, and lost the rest in a move across country. So it goes… I’ll be very curious how your conversion goes to the EX500 caliper. Thanks for all the info. 
1979 KZ400B
Southern Adirondacks, NY

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 13 Aug 2022 17:19 #872179

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Should fit to your KZ400 caliper, $24.00 USD

pyramid-parts.com/products/motorcycle-br...nd-seals-41mm-x-29mm

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Hello from the Adirondacks in NY 14 Aug 2022 18:49 #872248

• KZintheADK
  • User

Should fit to your KZ400 caliper, $24.00 USD

pyramid-parts.com/products/motorcycle-br...nd-seals-41mm-x-29mm

Wow that looks great, thanks!
1979 KZ400B
Southern Adirondacks, NY

• Page: