Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Howdy from Saint Louis! 1978 KZ1000 LTD 31 Mar 2021 13:37 #845872

• shiloh
  • shiloh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Howdy, Everyone!I wanted to properly introduce myself after being a lurker for awhile! I am very happy this site exists for the communal knowledge alone! A little about me: I work in IT, and a fairly hands-on person. For the last few years, I have been focusing more on my Tacoma for remote trips into Utah’s backcountry! 

A little about me and my bike:
I have owned my 1978 KZ1000 B2 for a little more than a decade.  It has almost 36,000 miles. It was in fair shape when I first bought it. It had a “decent” spray paint job by the previous, but I will be looking to paint it again. The original burgundy coat is now showing through since the spray paint is flaking off.  I rode it constantly for about 3 summers before having to move across the country for a job. When I moved, I left the bike at my parent's house because I wasn't sure if I would have room for it. I ended up moving back to STL after 5 years of being out west. After settling back in stl, I decided to drive out to my parents and pick up my bike. To my horror, my father moved my bike outside and left it uncovered during this entire period which isn’t what we agreed on. To say the least, I was very unhappy. I mean, the bike had plants growing inside of it! Even my wife was in shock.
I brought the bike to the shop immediately, just to have a look over. I was also in the process of restoring my grandfather's motorcycle. I spent all of last summer working on his bike, and now I finally have the time and resources to get working on this bike! I'm looking to keep the bike as close to stock as possible besides sensible mods. I'm not looking to chop or cafe it.Here’s what it absolutely needs:
Battery
Tach cable
Front brake calipers rebuilt + pads replaced
New brake lines
All new fluid
New tires
New seat (pan is rusted through)
New battery cables
Carbs need rebuilt/cleaned/synced/etc
Petcock needs rebuilt
All new fuel lines
Tank needs to be lined
New plugs (need plug boots but I have questions about that)
New carb boots/intakes. The rubber is too stiff.I'll probably do the following as well:
Master cylinder rebuild kit
Replace all of the rusty bolts and nuts
New 4 into 1 exhaustI am considering replacing the coils as well while I am at it. It appears that the breaker assembly/condensers/points are in good shape. One of the spark plug boots is broken, and I’m weighing the options of replacing the coils totally or just replacing the boots because from what I understand I cannot replace the wires & boots by themselves. I will post a photo of the assembly to see if anyone recognizes the brand. Wiring is different than others that I have seen, so I want to make sure I purchase the correct coils and such.Any other suggestions? I currently have the carbs pulled off, and the calipers pulled to begin the rebuild. I have never been great at carbs so I am hoping to take my time and do a good job. I am waiting on my factory service manual to arrive, but it's going to be a bit before it's here. It’s coming from overseas.Does anyone have any experience with Harbor Freight motorcycle lift? I am considering purchasing one, but I know that their stuff is so hit or miss.

I'll add some photos of what it looked like when I first bought it and how it's looking nowadays. Nice to meet all of you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Howdy from Saint Louis! 1978 KZ1000 LTD 01 Apr 2021 11:01 #845930

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Welcome to KZRider 
We are here to help in any way we can. 
Pictures are always welcome and do encourage  feedback from the membership.
 I too have a 78 LTD 1000  but dont ask what  mods I think are needed  as the list is  very , very long   LOL
A Harbor Freight  lift is fine , but a  better wheel chock is a normal mod to it. 
Ask for help and you will receive 
Dave

PS   Here's Mine 

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: shiloh

Howdy from Saint Louis! 1978 KZ1000 LTD 01 Apr 2021 11:17 #845931

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1853
I have a 1978 1000 B2 also. I have several FSM and the supplements. Lots of help here so please don’t be afraid to ask. I’m happy your not chopping it up. Sounds like you on the right path as to the items needing attention. I’d suggest going with a DynaS ignition. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Howdy from Saint Louis! 1978 KZ1000 LTD 12 Sep 2021 09:00 #855157

• shiloh
  • User

I have a 1978 1000 B2 also. I have several FSM and the supplements. Lots of help here so please don’t be afraid to ask. I’m happy your not chopping it up. Sounds like you on the right path as to the items needing attention. I’d suggest going with a DynaS ignition. 

Thank you! I could never chop this bike. I considered selling it a few times, but I don’t trust that the buyer wouldn’t chop it.

One part I am struggling to find are the airbox boots. Mine were too hard and torn to reuse, but I can’t find replacements. Z1 has been sold out for months. I’m currently rebuilding the carbs now.

Howdy from Saint Louis! 1978 KZ1000 LTD 12 Sep 2021 09:04 #855158

• shiloh
  • User
Here’s a recent picture of my bike, and it’s current condition

Howdy from Saint Louis! 1978 KZ1000 LTD 12 Sep 2021 09:30 #855160

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1853
Picture did post. Make sure to hit insert all. Also make sure not to hit the back key, it will remove some of the code that’s needed to allow the picture to post.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78z1Joe

Howdy from Saint Louis! 1978 KZ1000 LTD 12 Sep 2021 15:43 #855183

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi  Shiloh.   welcome from 1978 A2.  “ Gee dad really?  Outside?  “.  and streetfighterLTD.   Nice turbo
this photo is from May 2019. Classic Motorcycle Day  The organizers finally allowed Japanese bikes, Previously. Know as “ British Motorcycle Day.FYI,   many Honda’s from the 60’s and 70’s a few Yamaha s, Suzuki s ( there was a RE- 5 there ). Only 3 Kawasaki.  KZ 1000 in black , a KZ 650 in red, and my red 1000.   It was great day….. looking forward to 2022.  Stupid COVID…..
1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike
Attachments:

• Page: