Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 26 Feb 2021 17:00 #844157

• OldKowLTD
  • OldKowLTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My name is Paul. I'm in SE Washington State. The wife and I are retired and spend much of our time fishing the Columbia and Snake Rivers. I've got a fair amount of mechanical skills and do a good bit of my own vehicle work however, the computerized whiz-bangs in the newer model cars and trucks leaves me scratching my head at times. I'm just beginning the first baby steps towards restoring an '82 KZ1000 LTD. It was a barn find. That may sound like a cliche but it's my barn. I bought the bike new in 1982 and put 37k happy miles on it. Then I sold it and it sat in a shed in Idaho for several years before I tracked it down and bought it back. He had only put a couple hundred miles on it because it was too much bike for him. It had been sorely neglected by the time I bought it back but I figured if I held on to it I might eventually be able to restore it to its original glory. I said a barn but Its actually a shop so that's where its been for several years. I haven't started the process other than pulling it out and taking a look. I believe it will be worth bringing it back to life. Having read a number of threads and articles, I'm am grateful to find this forum with so many knowledgeable enthusiasts. I promise to utilize the "search" function to try and limit the dumb questions I might ask. Thanks for letting me join. Now, if I can just figure out how to post a couple of pictures of it in all its dust covered splendor.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 26 Feb 2021 18:08 #844160

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1271
Hey Paul,
Welcome to KZRider! I live five or six hours from you in Central Oregon.
About your pictures, did you use your Back button while composing your posts? The software gurus tell me doing so gets the programming confused.
Let me know.
Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 26 Feb 2021 19:41 #844166

• OldKowLTD
  • User
Bill, I did use the back button during editing. A good thing to know to avoid. I'll try the pictures again Thanks for the help

Paul
Attachments:

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 27 Feb 2021 06:01 #844184

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Welcome aboard!
Thanks for saving another KZ from quietly becoming one with the earth again.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldKowLTD

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 27 Feb 2021 06:23 #844187

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Welcome aboard Paul! The bike doesn't look bad at all. Just wash would do it wonders. Before trying to turn the engine over, I would take the plugs out and squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a day or two. Then you initially turn the engine by hand to make sure it there is now issues. There is a whole procedure you can search for here in order to avoid causing any damage to the cylinders. Change out the oil and filter and go from there. You may find the carburetors need servicing. But you can still get the bike started for a few seconds using starting fluid. If not for personal gratification, it will at least indicate that the ignition system works.

Here is a link to the service manual you can download: kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/Kawas...Service%20Manual.pdf

Once you get the engine fired up, focus on the safety related items before being tempted to take it on the road. You will need new tires if they been sitting for more than 5 years. Doesn't matter how good they look. You don't want to be riding on old tires going 70 mph. The brake will need to be serviced as well. I know I'm pointing out the obvious. Good luck with the restoration. Being retired, you are in a great place in life to be able to do this. Congratulations on your retirement as well.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 27 Feb 2021 10:25 #844203

• Polish
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 24
Welcome Paul! That’s a very nice bike. It looks likes it is all there and won’t need much to get it going. After putting oil, remove the plugs again, remove the engine forward right side cover and turn the engine over using a ratchet/pry bar on the big nut, directly on the crank. Don’t use the starter or kick starter if it has one, you can damage them. You’ll see if it is/was seized or not. Then go from there. Check this video for how to.

JL
1979 Honda CB400T Cafe Racer (current ride)
1982 KZ750 LTD (current project)

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 28 Feb 2021 09:03 #844246

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 276
Welcome . Glad you got the old girl back .Looks like a pretty easy project . Its very gratifying when you hear her come to life . Enjoy .
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 28 Feb 2021 09:58 #844249

• OldKowLTD
  • User
Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the assistance and the welcomes. I evicted a family of mice from the air box and knocked the dust off. I've still got the service manual I bought when the bike was new but the searchable PDF is very handy. The original owner's manual was still under the seat :). I've got the Marvel oil cuz it works on everything. Great stuff. Ive read, I think, 15 or so threads on "first start" and, you're correct, very informative. I just ordered a few parts ) filters, plugs, o-rings, etc from Z1. Just soak time before next step. I'll start a new thread in Projects once I get going on the dirty work. I truly appreciate your help. In the mean time ;
Attachments:

Last edit: by OldKowLTD.

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 28 Feb 2021 12:18 #844254

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
Welcome... that bike will clean up nice. Glad to have another one saved. They are ment to be ridden. Please do all safety maintenance things. Then enjoy it.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Last edit: by Mikaw. Reason: Spelling

Hi, Folks. I'm new here 28 Feb 2021 15:20 #844265

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
Im trying to figure which would be better to consider,, a step back in time,, or an old friend just waiting for you. I spend a lot of time testing refurbishing the factory finish on old parts. What ive come up with is rub it like a Jeanie bottle. Everybody has a different plan.
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

• Page: