Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New member, new rider 26 Jul 2020 16:39 #831524

• Mike K
  • Mike K's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all, I'm entirely new to everything! Old Hondas and KZs have always been an aesthetic favorite of mine but I never took the time to learn to ride or learn much about the inner workings of motorcycles. Just a few weeks ago a friend of a friend was putting his 76' KZ400-D3 up for sale and just like that I now have to learn it and how to ride it! It was barely run over the last number of years and stored away so it's got a project component to it before it's completely ready to take out. In particular a front brake rebuild is needed and some oil burning that my friend and I haven't had the time to fully diagnose yet. Plenty more after that I'm sure. Looking forward to stumbling through this whole process.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

New member, new rider 26 Jul 2020 16:55 #831526

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1971
Hi Mike
Welcome to KZRider
Im sure we can help you with your bike.
I fixed your picture
Next time when posting a picture click on the insert / insert all button
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike K

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

New member, new rider 26 Jul 2020 17:20 #831528

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Welcome aboard! Please keep in mind that the fasteners on the Kawasaki that look like Phillips head screws are not Phillips. They are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) and using a Phillips screwdriver on them will damage them and make you scream. JIS screwdrivers look much like Phillips and can be bought or easily made from Phillips drivers. If you need more info on this issue just ask and I can provide more. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike K

New member, new rider 27 Jul 2020 17:09 #831646

• Ricco86
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi mike, welcome! There’s a lot of people that can help here, I’m kinda new as well. Got a lot of advice already from many kz riders.
Ricco

Last edit: by Ricco86. Reason: Misspell

New member, new rider 28 Jul 2020 06:25 #831690

• Sheath
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
  • Thank you received: 14
Just to say that the J.i.s screwdriver tip is a very good tip , lots of old Japanese bikes in the uk have chewed up screws, especially float bowl screws and carb to head clamp screws because owners over the years didn't know about Jis, I've got a four piece vessel set, but until you buy a set don't forget any old Japanese bike tool kit will have a handy Jis screwdriver you can use, sometimes two in different sizes if your lucky :)
Attachments:

New member, new rider 28 Jul 2020 07:00 #831694

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Welcome aboard!

Along with the proper tools and a genuine factory service manual, I highly recommend a new rider safety course. Riding a motorcycle is quite different from driving a car. Developing good habits at the beginning can help insure many years of pleasurable riding. Most large cities have several options. One of the most common and respected programs is run by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. (MSF)

msf-usa.org
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

New member, new rider 28 Jul 2020 07:07 #831696

• Mike K
  • User
I was lucky enough with this one. It had most if not all of the original tool kit!

New member, new rider 28 Jul 2020 07:14 #831698

• Mike K
  • User
Thanks! Here in Ohio they have a state run program for cheap. Just waiting for a seat to open up in one of the classes. I assume it's both popular and impacted by COVID.

New member, new rider 28 Jul 2020 10:26 #831718

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1858
Welcome form neighboring Michigan...

Once you get tools and a manual do complete safety and maintenance procedures first. Remember you need to stop. So focus on brakes.

Then while your waiting for the state course I’d suggest sitting on the bike and get used to the controls I.e. front and rear brake, and what all the switches do and were everything is located.... then take the bike to an empty parking lot and get the feel of the clutch and brakes. Make slow wide turns feeling for the friction zone on the clutch, making the turn tighter as you learn how the clutch, throttle, and rear brake work together... watch videos to explain what I’m talking about... learn the meaning and use of counter steering, it can save your life. Practice slow speed starts and stops... go slow and be careful. As with anything “how you train so shall you react”

Enjoy your new machine
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Last edit: by Mikaw.
  • Page: