Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Newbie Could Use Advice 10 Oct 2005 19:08 #521

• Flatlander67
  • Flatlander67's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a good line on what may be a decent 1977 kz650 for 500 bucks. What can I look for as far as problems, besides the obvious, and what might I expect for only 500 bucks? I have some fuzzy pics, and not alot of history, But, I'll know more this weekend if I can get 200 miles to see it! Thanks for being here Y'all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newbie Could Use Advice 10 Oct 2005 20:33 #559

• PuGz
  • User
$500 might not be too bad of a price if its all there.

What part of the country are we talking? 500 goes further in some areas then others.

Assume you will need a chain, sprockets, and Tires. Other then that checking compresion can be a good thing. Check movment in the forks. Look for signs of being droped. Look in the tank make sure its not a big rust flake.

Also if the guy wants 500 walk up with like $375 in 20's and you will more then likely walk away with it. Most people see cash and will take the offer. :whistle:

Newbie Could Use Advice 10 Oct 2005 20:35 #560

• KLACKO
  • User
Welcome Flatlander67. It's hard to know what to expect, bike prices are all over the place. If it's running, $500 wouldn't be too far off. The 650 engine [like the 750 that followed] is remarkably well engineered, it has no flaw inherent to it. Like any older bike, beware of the electrics, especially if you see lots of "repairs". Check the tank for rust.

If it's a non-runner, $500 is too much.

Newbie Could Use Advice 10 Oct 2005 22:30 #595

• bri2144
  • User
Welcome Flatlander!

I bought my 1982 kz650h2 in April of this year for $500.00.

It had 20,000 miles on it when I bought it. Since then I've rack up another 3,000 miles.

It has a new battery, all the electric stuff works fine, the original paint is a little cracked an scratched, the carbs are dirty and leaky, the tank is not rusted but has some lacquer in it, the tires are pretty much shot, it has no frame rust to speak of, the chain had plenty of adjustment left in it when I bought it, but it was badly rusted. I thoroughly cleaned the chain and have lubed it every 200 miles since purchase, but it is now (after 3,000 miles) on it's last adjustment. The sprockets are pretty worn and there is play in the rear hub (which accellerates chain and sprocket wear).
The bike is shown in my avatar.

It runs good, has good compression (130 to 160psi) on all cylinders, and always starts right up--provided you use starting fluid anytime the temperature is below 60degrees F.

The bike I bought was sold by a fellow that was expecting his first child any minute. The for sale sign said $650.00 OBO. I offered him $500.00 cash and he not only took it, but he threw in a nearly new Shoei RF-R helmet to boot.

cheers,

Brian.

Newbie Could Use Advice 10 Oct 2005 22:40 #599

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Welcome flatlander! Only a close look will answer your question on the value of it. Once it's running, whatever that takes, you'll love it.

Newbie Could Use Advice 11 Oct 2005 16:38 #795

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
For 5 bills make sure your getting a title also.

• Page: