Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

OMG, I've been Banned! 11 Sep 2011 11:21 #475896

• Patton
  • Patton's Avatar Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
A forum-ban prevents posting, but continues the ability to send a PM to a mod, and be reinstated.

A site-ban prevents posting and disables ability to PM.

When a prospective new member initially registers, the mandatory information fields include Name, Username, E-mail, Password, and Verify Password.

This initial step adds the new user name to KZr and permits logging in with a "naked profile" devoid of personal information, and without either a signature or avatar.

As spammers frequently have only a "naked profile," there's suspicion about any relatively new name with a "naked profile" and no legitimate forum posts. Which may result in the name being banned from posting in the forum, although it may still appear in "Members online."

A particularly egregious new user name with a "naked profile" devoid of personal information, absent signature, avatar, or legitimate post, may result in the name being summarily banned from the site, which is the ultimate sanction.

To avoid having a "naked profile," some minimal information may easily be added, such as Location, Gender, Birthdate, Signature, and/or Avatar.

Here's how to add stuff:

Attachment addprofileinfo.jpg not found

To add an avatar:

A forum-banned member retains the ability to send a PM to a mod, and be reinstated. ("PM" means "Private Message")

The next post addresses total banishment from the site.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: by Patton.
The topic has been locked.

OMG, I've been Banned! 13 Sep 2011 15:19 #476414

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Re: Risk of total banishment from the Site

Posted spam results in the spammer's name being banned from the site, which is the ultimate sanction. Whereupon the spam post(s) vanish from KZr.

In our ongoing efforts to weed out spam, the moderators continuously monitor the profiles of new user names, with a view toward preemptive ban of a spammer before spam is posted on the forum.

A new member with a highly suspicious user name, having a "naked profile" devoid of personal information, absent signature, avatar, or legitimate post, may result in the name being summarily banned from the site, which is the ultimate sanction.

If under these circumstances a "legitimate" new member is removed from the site, the affected member is encouraged to please re-register under a different user name. And pretty-please add something to your profile.

Thanks to all for your understanding and help in combating and reducing spam.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

OMG, I've been Banned! 13 Sep 2011 15:57 #476418

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Forum-Ban vs. Site-Ban

When a moderator suspects a new user name of being a spammer -- which suspicion often results from a "naked profile" devoid of personal information, absent signature, avatar, or legitimate post -- it's usually a judgement call by the moderator as to whether a forum-ban or a site-ban is more appropriate.

The forum-ban removes the user's ability to post, but allows ability to communicate via PM with a moderator. Whereby the affected member may establish his bona-fides and be reinstated by removal of the forum-ban. (PM means Private Message.)

Absent such PM within a reasonable time, the forum-ban may be elevated to site-ban whereupon the name vanishes from the site.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

OMG, I've been Banned! 31 Aug 2012 19:58 #545942

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958

OMG, I've been Banned! 09 Apr 2017 09:06 #758833

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Registration on KZr includes agreement with site rules that permits business names as user names ONLY by paying advertisers.

Occasionally, a new member inadvertently registers using their business name, which typically results in suspension of the off-limits business name and guidance toward substitution of an alternate name.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ
  • Page: