Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 24 Apr 2006 19:17 #42341

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Hey your bike is looking good! I'll pm my address to you and we can meet later.

Council and Hefner, what is the neighborhood name? Are you by the post office?
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 24 Apr 2006 19:23 #42345

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
Tain't bad , nope tain't bad at all! Good score!

Did you order new panels from the dealer? :blink:

Umm. in the meantime get some Berrymans to run through the gas, it might help let it idle somewhat if it is just gunked up abit. There are a lot of carb geniuses out there and sounds like one got a hold of yours. If the PO installed new seals, jets and such it might not be that hard to correct. Do you have the background in wrenching to attempt yourself, if so go for it!

Best luck!
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 24 Apr 2006 19:29 #42351

• OKC_Kent
  • User
Geoff wrote:

It goes into the shop in a few weeks for a look at the carbs/jetting and other critical areas. The owner before me has done a lot of "interesting" modifications and maintenance work (you know...JB Weld, bailing wire, not-quite-fitting bolts, etc.), but I plan on getting out on it as soon as I'm sure it's safe. Even with all its challenges, I'm in love with this one.
See you soon...hopefully.

Do you already have a shop handling this? The service guys at the House of Kawasaki (dealer on NW 10th) told me they don't take old bikes in due to old age issues... but there is a small shop that will work on them, let me think of the name...otherwise maybe we can figure things out.
Just as soon as the tornadoes stop buzzing by...:lol:
Oklahoma City, OK

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 24 Apr 2006 19:36 #42359

• OKC_Kent
  • User
Geoff wrote:

Thanks, Kent. Yep, I'm at about Council & Hefner Rd. I'd like to see your KZ and get your assessment/recommendations on mine before it goes in for work. By "Bike Night," I'm assuming you mean up at Joe's, right? I'll try to make it Thursday, but I have to say it may be a little embarrasing in the condition I'm in at the moment...but I'll get over it.

Thanks again and let me know...

You mean Joe's Crab Shack? I thought they stopped them last year or so... The Family Bike Night that guitargeek and DS2 mentioned is different, check this link. Pretty good bunch, different types of bikes and people, lots of fun

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/04/24 22:37
Oklahoma City, OK

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 24 Apr 2006 20:43 #42391

• Geoff
  • Geoff's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks to everyone for the complements. I started at the House of Kawasaki for repairs, and they referred me to Mathew's Performance (a guy named Chris specifically). Here's what I planned on having them do (opinions / recommendations are more than welcome):

-Get their take on the condition of the engine, gear box, brakes, and other criticals.
-Replace rear tire.
-I'd like some mag wheels (no chrome...something like I've seen on other stock kz's), but am not sure what to get or what my options are (if any).
-Carb work / jetting. Carbs leak gas, and the engine dies at idle (every time...no matter how warm the bike is). The carbs leak so bad they stank up my whole house bad, causing my wife to go nuts...she just doesn't get it. I'm sure we'd all sleep better :) .
-Frame Work/Welding. Get this...the seat you see on the bike has to be home-made. In putting it on, someone has hammered down the part of the frame the seat sits on. The only thing I can think is that the guy wanted a lower riding position and for the passenger seat to sit a bit higher than the rider's (he bragged about it before I bought it). I have the stock seat (which is very nice), but it no longer sits properly on the frame. I'm going to talk to Mathew's about cutting the section of the frame from the tank to about the passenger seat (two joints) and welding on a straight piece of pipe. I'd take it from there.
-Fix the oil pan plug. Somebody has welded a socket to it...a new one on me. I assume the head is stripped or something.

Here's some of what I planned on doing when I get it back:

-New plastic side panels (on order from JC Whitney). Supposedly custom made to fit my particular bike.
-Foot pegs...the small floor boards make shifting a bit difficult.
-Paint the exhaust.
-Paint fenders, side panels, and tank...haven't decided on color. Either the green w/ horizontal stripes I've seen on other stock kz's or a dark, flatter color (almost as a protest to the great big, heavy, chrome cruisers that are so popular...and that I use to own).
-There are several ill-fitting or missing bolts I need to replace. One that's got me worried from a safety standpoint holds one of the front forks at the top.

Don't anybody worry about my feelings. I want feedback.

Kent, guitargeek and DS2: I'll try to make it to Tator's. I'd like to see your bikes and show you mine first-hand.

Thanks again to everyone...

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 24 Apr 2006 20:48 #42394

• Geoff
  • Geoff's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Anybody know how I double-posted my last submission?

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 25 Apr 2006 02:25 #42441

• kzrider
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 91
Geoff wrote:

Anybody know how I double-posted my last submission?

Yeah, it happens when you post a message and then hit the back button instead of choosing one of the options (or waiting for a couple of seconds) that comes up after your message is posted.

Good luck with your bike!
1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 25 Apr 2006 05:45 #42452

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
My 78 was a lot worse off than your s is. Just keep plugging away at it. I would get the carbs done first and then fix the fork bolt. You should look on ebay for stainless allen-head bolts. I have replaced almost all the bolts on my bike and love them. They never rust and are a lot easier to get out as long as you use anti-seize. BTW if you change your wheels you can use LTD wheels. Make sure you get all of the rear brake parts! Welcome and have fun.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 25 Apr 2006 06:01 #42457

• OKC_Kent
  • User
Geoff wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the complements. I started at the House of Kawasaki for repairs, and they referred me to Mathew's Performance (a guy named Chris specifically). Here's what I planned on having them do (opinions / recommendations are more than welcome):

That's the place, it's nearby the dealers

-Get their take on the condition of the engine, gear box, brakes, and other criticals.

Not a bad idea. You can start checking ebay for a manual, there are a lot of things that I found easy to do with a manual, and save your money for the mags

-Replace rear tire.

I got mine changed at Cycle Gear on the NW Expressway, good prices

-I'd like some mag wheels (no chrome...something like I've seen on other stock kz's), but am not sure what to get or what my options are (if any).

Keep your eyes on ebay for these

-Carb work / jetting. Carbs leak gas, and the engine dies at idle (every time...no matter how warm the bike is). The carbs leak so bad they stank up my whole house bad, causing my wife to go nuts...she just doesn't get it. I'm sure we'd all sleep better :) .

The most satisfying part of fixing my bike was rebuilding and cleaning the carbs. If you want to do it I can help. I have Berrymans carb dip, all we need is compressed air.

-Frame Work/Welding. Get this...the seat you see on the bike has to be home-made. In putting it on, someone has hammered down the part of the frame the seat sits on. The only thing I can think is that the guy wanted a lower riding position and for the passenger seat to sit a bit higher than the rider's (he bragged about it before I bought it). I have the stock seat (which is very nice), but it no longer sits properly on the frame. I'm going to talk to Mathew's about cutting the section of the frame from the tank to about the passenger seat (two joints) and welding on a straight piece of pipe. I'd take it from there.
-Fix the oil pan plug. Somebody has welded a socket to it...a new one on me. I assume the head is stripped or something.

Here's some of what I planned on doing when I get it back:

-New plastic side panels (on order from JC Whitney). Supposedly custom made to fit my particular bike.
-Foot pegs...the small floor boards make shifting a bit difficult.
-Paint the exhaust.
-Paint fenders, side panels, and tank...haven't decided on color. Either the green w/ horizontal stripes I've seen on other stock kz's or a dark, flatter color (almost as a protest to the great big, heavy, chrome cruisers that are so popular...and that I use to own).
-There are several ill-fitting or missing bolts I need to replace. One that's got me worried from a safety standpoint holds one of the front forks at the top.

Don't anybody worry about my feelings. I want feedback.

All old bikes need a little TLC, that's part of the fun !!

Kent, guitargeek and DS2: I'll try to make it to Tator's. I'd like to see your bikes and show you mine first-hand.

If your bike is on the road and you want to go, call or PM me. We can leave from our area and go straight to Tator's. Otherwise me and a few others meet at Atomic Browns scooter shop on Western and 44th at 6pm, then ride to Del City and meet the rest of the group for the final ride to the restaraunt. You can meet us at Atomic's too.

Thanks again to everyone...

Oklahoma City, OK

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 25 Apr 2006 08:44 #42501

• DS2
  • User
Geoff, It looks like a blank canvas to me. I’m like these other guys. I’d get the carbs lined out on it and make a runner out of it. Then start gathering up the stuff to fix it up over next winter. That looks close to the color of my 1000 (cinnamon red). It’s really not as red as in this picture. I’ll just show you at Tater’s. They’re calling for 79 degrees on Thursday. Should be a nice evening.

Post edited by: DS2, at: 2006/04/25 11:45
Attachments:

Hello from Oklahoma - KZ1000 25 Apr 2006 12:32 #42560

• JUSTICE114
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome! Nice bike! You'll get all the info you need here.B)

• Page: