Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wanted to say hello and ask a dumb question 18 Oct 2005 13:55 #2611

• orange330
  • orange330's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just wanted to say hello to everyone here and ask a silly question. I'm working on my first bike and want to change out the stock air box of my 83 kz550C and replace it with pod filters. After staring at this for about an hour I'm stumped. The box itself is disconnected from the frame and battery box and hoses are off the carbs and box itself. How does one get the box out of the frame? It also seems that I can't get to the screws holding the carbs to the engine, not enough space to get to the heads and unbolt them. I quess I'm asking two questions then. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wanted to say hello and ask a dumb question 18 Oct 2005 14:03 #2614

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
The carbs have to come off. Try using a phillips screwdriver bit with 1/4 inch box wrench to get the screws. It'll take a while but it will work. An old trick I learned years ago to hold a socket like this or to hold a bolt in a socket or wrench is to wrap a bit of paper around the bolt or bit.

Post edited by: the milkman, at: 2005/10/18 17:05
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Wanted to say hello and ask a dumb question 18 Oct 2005 14:33 #2621

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
i'm a newbie myself, but it seems i've read a lot of posts that say modern bikes need the air box for proper air flow. pods work ok on older (1960s) bikes, but not on newer bikes.

Wanted to say hello and ask a dumb question 18 Oct 2005 20:41 #2697

• Leather
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Say huh!!! had pods on my 80 for twenty plus so far and it still runs like a scalded ape! best to adda new pipe if your gona use pods to, i'd think to take advantage of the incresed air flow and let that monster breath! I still use the CV carbs that came with the ol' girl and have never rejetted like many say you should, but pulling the plugs and looking at them (the jet rings) I see the bike is running ok, mid range is fine and not leaning out and I dont have a problem with the top end either. So as my pappy taught me "If it aint broke , leave it the hell alone!!" .. I would'nt be too concerned about these older UMJ/ Sport bikes and pods.. if it has a carb it should do ok with pods.. course your fuel milage will suffer a bit , but your horsepower will shift towards the upper end too!

Wanted to say hello and ask a dumb question 18 Oct 2005 20:58 #2700

• free B
  • User
I noticed on my bike that the air box is easier to remove from the rear but I'm not sure about your bike. I think all I need to remove is the battery tray and the lower fender.

Wanted to say hello and ask a dumb question 18 Oct 2005 23:42 #2712

• Murphyau
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
duncan wrote:

i'm a newbie myself, but it seems i've read a lot of posts that say modern bikes need the air box for proper air flow. pods work ok on older (1960s) bikes, but not on newer bikes.

You are correct, just your dates are a bit off. Most modern bikes, say 1998 and later, really are better off with the stock airbox. The exceptions may be the "retro" naked bikes with side draft heads, like the ZRX. These engines are not tuned for max performance and are more "tolerant" of pods.

Most of the KZ range with their rather simple slide type carbs or simple CV carbs respond quiet well to pods although jetting can be a hassle.

Wanted to say hello and ask a dumb question 19 Oct 2005 05:10 #2730

• orange330
  • orange330's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for all the replys. Problem solved and carbs and air box removed. All help appreciated.

Wanted to say hello and ask a dumb question 19 Oct 2005 05:29 #2731

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
thx from me too :blush: :)

• Page: