Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

newbie loking for some advice 13 Oct 2005 20:58 #1567

• lowtorq
  • lowtorq's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I bought my first bike last winter and boy did I jump in head first. 78 KZ1000 basket case. I took it out by the armload. I had a friend who said he would help me with the project so I went for it.The motor was a 1982-1000J.This made for some interesting wiring issues when it came to the guages and controls, but not that bad. I had some charging problems and a few other issues that I finally got worked out and I actually got to drive it for the past 3 weeks. I love this bike. I got new fork seals put in but they started leaking almost right away. the tubes are in great shape maybe the springs are getting weak? Or maybe I should go with original Kawasaki seals? Anyway that is pretty minor. What I was really wondering about was the swingarm swap that seems so popular. When I bought the bike a GS swingarm came with it!

Last winter I built it this winter tear it apart again?
I really like the way they look.

This is a great site!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

newbie loking for some advice 13 Oct 2005 21:33 #1583

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Hey lowtorque,
It helps to use some vinyl electrical tape to cover the ends of the tubes when you put the new seals onto them. If the seals weren't damaged during assembly they are probably in upside down. Yep, that'll make em leak right off the bat.

The GS swing arm is longer and will help you keep the front wheel on the ground during drag races. If you're not planing any smoking launches stick with the stock setup. It'll handle much better.

Welcome to the site. Got any pics of your machine?
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

newbie loking for some advice 14 Oct 2005 04:32 #1626

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Welcome to KZR from a fellow CDN. Sounds like a nice bike. The J motors put out the most HP at the time if I'm not mistaken. And I second the request for pics. I'll check the Gallery.B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

newbie loking for some advice 15 Oct 2005 21:43 #2002

• zedheadmc
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Oh hell yes! Nothing like a basket case and doing it yourself. Any left over pieces :laugh:.
Welcome to this great Z/KZ gathering. Yep pics would be nice.

newbie loking for some advice 15 Oct 2005 22:24 #2005

• Alex_KZ1K
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Good to hear about another fellow KZ owner! Advice about the teardown this winter... well it's winter and you're not riding it anyway! That's the best time for a teardown even if you're not planning anything major. I'm doing one this winter to learn about the bike and figure out things that I'm going to need to change. In the spring, it'll emerge slightly faster, slightly nicer looking, and alot more fun. Good luck, hope to see you around.

• Page: