• Page:

TOPIC:

Howdy everyone 13 Oct 2005 02:47 #1256

• Idaho_Spud
  • Idaho_Spud's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello fellow Kaw riders.

I'm a noob to KZ models and also to this forum, but I'm looking forward to learning/sharing a lot here. I've ridden bikes quite a bit over the years, but took a 10 year hiatus, as the wife took a dim view of my riding. My baby from high school, a 1976 Kaw KH500 triple, still sits under a cover in the garage.

I'm 44 yrs old, live in Bakersfield, and recently got fed up with paying a fortune to get back and forth to work. The wife softened her view on riding when I told her how much diesel fuel for the truck was costing us each week. After a lot of looking around, I picked up a 1979 KZ650 B3 with a fairing and a luggage rack.

After replacing the battery, getting both brake switches working, replacing the rear tire, and adjusting the air mixture screws, I *think* it's safe and reliable. I'm still waiting on some cam cover gaskets and tach drive gaskets to correct the oil leaks... the leaks can wait.

Overall I'm very pleased with this bike. It'll never be quite as exciting to ride as my triple, but it gets decent mileage (40 mpg), didn't cost too much, and best of all, it doesn't vibrate all the parts off like the triple does! :) The handling is very predictable, the power is adequate, and it brakes and corners nicely. It's a *very* nice friendly commuter bike. It's not a crotch rocket, nor a moped - just a reliable and predictable ride. What more could anyone ask for?

Post edited by: Idaho_Spud, at: 2005/10/13 05:48

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Howdy everyone 13 Oct 2005 03:57 #1259

• oldcuda68
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome new rider. This is truely a great site. This has to be THE think tank for KZ riders. I have been a member for only one month, but I have gained a wealth of knowledge. Sounds like you got a great bike. I just picked up an 80 KZ 750 LTD in September. That is what prompted me to join this site.

Mark:)
1980 KZ750 LTD
1984 Honda GL1200 Interstate
Too many other toys to mention

Howdy everyone 13 Oct 2005 05:09 #1268

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 294
Welcome to KZR! You should get some great information from this site. We are all still feeling our way around this site (new everything...make sure you fully use the archives...lots of info hidden there). As a quick observation, some people in this forum should be able to provide advice to really increase your mileage...you should be getting much more than 40 mpg.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Howdy everyone 13 Oct 2005 06:55 #1307

• DS2
  • User
Welcome, you'll find a bunch of people her with 650s. I know if I'm going to ride very far I take the 650. What a nice bike.

Howdy everyone 13 Oct 2005 09:38 #1344

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Welcome aboard, Spud.
The KZ650 is a great bike. I've owned two in my life, and I've tried to buy (steal) another one on ebay. Lots of 650 owners here, so you'll get all the help you could want.
Ride safe.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Howdy everyone 13 Oct 2005 18:41 #1503

• Idaho_Spud
  • Idaho_Spud's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the welcome aboard everyone. Great to be here, and props to you too :)

• Page: