Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Why a Kz before another motorcycle? 17 Jun 2024 09:32 #900872

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 302
Thanks guys!  Your "thumbs up" means a lot to me.  Your collective knowledge saved me a lot of time and head scratching.  I had to dust off a lot of the things I learned working on this bike 40 years ago after having the motor built up.

HRM: the tires on it when I started were a matched set of Pirelli phantoms I put on it in the late 1980's.  Had quite a time getting them off the rims!

Moose1800:  There's a reason I took the photos from 20 ft away - there's quite a bit of patina left (spokes, hidden frame areas, and engine cases).  This revival isn't even close to the same league as your polished turd, it didn't even use up 1 can of turd polish.  But I have some left for the future!  For now it will serve as intended - a safe reliable decent looking older hotrod bike .  Maybe in a year or so I'll dive in a little deeper.  The Kubota belongs to my buddy Steve who generously lets me use space in his shop alongside his 1955 F100 restomod project.  The budget worked out as I had hoped.  Steve teases me "good thing we aren't doing this for a living - we'd go hungry most of the time"

Don't forget to donate to help run this forum - access to the knowledge here is worth every penny!

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Wookie58, Moose1800

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by sf4t7.

Why a Kz before another motorcycle? 17 Jun 2024 10:17 #900877

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 288
Scotty, Rome wasn't built in a day since you plan on using your Z1 as a rider you can take your time and clean it up a little at a time.

I bought my KZ to have something to do in the winter months while I'm retired and also to flip and maybe make a few bucks ( who was I kidding no money to be made doing this) I wanted to finish as soon as possible but I also wanted a clean as can be bike that I could sell and be proud to say I did the work to my best ability, while it's not perfect it's a bike I could sell without shame.

Have fun riding your Z1 that you can be proud of !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.