• Page:

TOPIC:

Painting flexible plastic 13 Oct 2005 14:33 #1443

• John68
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I found PPG P-sheets online for you.
www.tricitypaint.com/docs.html
If you wanna check on shelf life. Just off the top of my head I can tell you DBU has a shelf life of 6 months for the basecoat (but from personal experience I will say 2 years some colors will stay good, and if they appear bad, adding some DBU500 basemaker will sometimes bring them back to life). The basecoat reducer DRR1170, is a reactive reducer, meanign it has a catylist agent in the reducer. It's shelf life is infinite, until you open it, once opened they say 7 days, but if you have an old fridge in teh garage, or you just use a small amount out of the gallon, you can get 6 months out of a gallon.

the clears and hardeners do not have a shelf life so you are pretty free in that area.
MBC or Omni basecoat products are not reactively reduced so they do not have any kind of shelf life to them either. as long as you keep the lids on, you are good.
If you are not into clearcoat processes, PPG and Omni single stage paints are very very affordable and long lasting. I don't have any pricing info for them, but I can tell you that I last bought a gallon of red for a Chevy Blazer and it was $31 for the gallon, and $12 for hardener. I have seen some latex house paints in
Home Depot that were more expensive than that! quarts are generally $13-16, and half pints of reducer are available for $6. enamel reducer is cheap as well, I think around $26 a gallon and it has no shelf life. I know what you mean about the gloss of single stage, vs. the gloss of 2 stage or 3 stage(kawasaki used 3 stage on my 82 GPz originally). It's a different type of feel and I know a lot of the Corvette restorers out there are actually opting to put old acrylic laquer paint finishes on their cars, instead of using the newer 2 stage, because there is a difference and judges in shows pick up on it.

email me whenever you want to pick something up. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks,
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Painting flexible plastic 13 Oct 2005 17:32 #1486

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks! Oh, I forgot to tell you, my respirator is the round cartridge type (I have used the disposable type, in the past)...can't smell a thing in it, and never get lightheaded or anything....big difference from trying to tough it out! Thanks for wondering.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: