original or not?

More
30 Nov 2006 09:03 #96243 by Secondtime
original or not? was created by Secondtime
Hi all
I have a 1977 kz1000 ltd. that has 17000 miles on it and was thinking of cleaning it up. It as a couple of chips on the tank and a few scratches here and there on the frame. Other than that it just needs to be cleaned. I was wondering how many changes, if any: ie braded brake lines, headlight, etc. that could be changed without loosing it's original state. I don't know if I'll sell it or keep it and would like to keep it's value up.
Please let me know what you think.
Barry Conroy

Post edited by: Secondtime, at: 2006/11/30 12:04

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2006 09:30 #96250 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic original or not?
Putting up some pics of it would help. ;)

Almost without exception, a bike is NEVER worth more than in its original state. Orioginal paint - even inclusive of minor flaws like scratches, dings and whatnot - dependent upon how minor the flaws in fact are - is more valuable than a half-baked repaint.

Swapping in new components for saftety or appearance's sake does not require you to toss anything in a dumpster. You can always upgrade the brake lines, headlight, whatever you wish - and keep the originals around up in the rafters for that "some day" - if it comes. ;)

More
30 Nov 2006 09:41 #96252 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic original or not?
Good advice from Pterosaur. Certain upgrades may not detract from the value but they also may not increase it. Pterosaur alluded to some of these but they may also include going to an electronic ignition, new shocks, fork springs, upgraded suspension bearings, etc. When you start changing exhaust systems, carburetion, wheels, forks, paint schemes is where you may start negatively impacting the longer term value of your bike.

For those purists in the audience, any change from original and the bike can theoretically be considered non-stock. If you are restoring the bike, then this should be considered.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
30 Nov 2006 10:01 #96258 by Zinamia
Replied by Zinamia on topic original or not?
Mcdroid wrote:

Good advice from Pterosaur.

Yes, that the way. I will do it also by my bike. I will install a 2nd Break, Steel-Flex, but I will not change other parts. A "old bike" will have patina, so you must not change everything new.
A comlete makeover yes, if you like it, but every time the possiblity to change it back.
BAD ENGLISH...yes, but you will understand.

Zinamia
Germany

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2006 10:39 #96266 by Pterosaur
Zinamia wrote:

Mcdroid wrote:

Good advice from Pterosaur.

Yes, that the way. I will do it also by my bike. I will install a 2nd Break, Steel-Flex, but I will not change other parts. A "old bike" will have patina, so you must not change everything new.
A comlete makeover yes, if you like it, but every time the possiblity to change it back.
BAD ENGLISH...yes, but you will understand.

Zinamia
Germany

Ihr Englisch ist gut. Ihre Ideen sind besser! ;) :laugh:

More
30 Nov 2006 11:46 #96279 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic original or not?
I think that restoring a bike can be a fun project, but it should end up the way YOU like it. If you're in the restoration business, and you buy up old bikes, restore them, and sell them for profit, then you're in a different league, and there is probably a market for such bikes.
A restoration should zero the clock, as much as time and money will allow. Lots of parts will clean up to like new, and others can be painted to look showroom fresh. Seems like it's hard to get your money back, especially if you consider your time worth something. Body paint's a tough call because keeping the original paint is best, if you can live with the look of a 30 yr old paint job. But fresh paint - if done right - will make your bike young again.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
30 Nov 2006 11:48 #96281 by Zinamia
Replied by Zinamia on topic original or not?
Pterosaur wrote:

[
Ihr Englisch ist gut. Ihre Ideen sind besser! ;) :laugh:

Thanks for compliments , but the idea/trend of this thread, that yours. I have a only reapeted with my words.;) :kiss:
is your german so good, or is your translater better?

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2006 12:09 #96284 by Pterosaur
Zinamia wrote:

..is your german so good, or is your translater better?

Mein Deutsch ist gerecht - mein Ungar ist besser -Übersetzer bist best!

ICH Verwendung Übersetzer zu vergewissern mein Bedeutung ist zusammenklappen Deutsch ist mißlich zu Englisch Sprecherinnen! ;)

For non Deutsch Sprecherinnen:

My German is fair - my Hungarian is better - but translators are best!

I use translators to make sure my meaning is close - German is difficult to English speakers! ;)

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/11/30 15:13

• tganek
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2006 12:28 #96286 by tganek
Replied by tganek on topic original or not?
:silly:

Post edited by: tganek, at: 2006/11/30 15:45

More
01 Dec 2006 06:10 #96432 by Secondtime
Replied by Secondtime on topic original or not?
Thanks Fellas
I like that idea of upgrading and keeping the original parts on hand.
I will keep the original paint job for the time when....
I have a
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
01 Dec 2006 06:15 #96435 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic original or not?
theyre worth more origional?:blink: :S :dry: :huh: :blush: :ohmy: oh boy,now ya tell me!:P
Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
01 Dec 2006 06:15 #96436 by Pterosaur
Well, the same concept applies to painted parts - nothing says you can't pick up another gas tank, covers and tail and paint or have them painted any scheme you'd like - it's merely a parts-swap... ;)