Paint guns

More
28 Nov 2006 23:57 #95883 by Kool
Replied by Kool on topic Paint guns
SATAJet 2000 hands down the best gun iv ever layed a coat of paint down with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2006 09:17 #95962 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Paint guns
My DeVilbis HVLP works great! It has a teflon lined cup for easier clean up. I would agree with the others that it takes more talent than spray gun.

Tom
MI

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

• cjhansen2
  • Visitor
29 Nov 2006 10:42 #95991 by cjhansen2
Replied by cjhansen2 on topic Paint guns
SataJet 2000? Whats that cost? Like 400 bucks?

I have been pretty happy with the Sharpe Finex I have; it sprays better than I paint ;)

• racer54
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
01 Dec 2006 23:01 #96713 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Paint guns
I used to have a gun for primer and one to spray paint with different tips for whatever I was doing...I'm aware of this already. I had always used PPG paints but not sure if it's still available around here now...been a few years since I've painted. Compressor is not a problem...have an upright, 6HP, many gallon capacity ... it will be good enough! Although it's been awhile since I've last painted, I don't think it would take long to get the feel again. On new paint's, is the urethane part of the color or do you mix it? Used to have to mix the urethane into whatever you were spraying. I have some catching up to do, but that's why I'm here. Had a Devillbiss gun before and had really good paint jobs out of it.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
03 Dec 2006 05:08 #96979 by jeff781000
Replied by jeff781000 on topic Paint guns
I`m still using my old JGA 502 conventional gun but I need to get a HVLP gub due to the $ savings in paint usage.A friend who runs a resto shop recomended a Cornwell Tools Sata copy-cheap money but sprays great.I have not even used a HVLP gub yet and have been told it will take some getting used to and I used to do auto body for a living.

`78 KZ1000

More
03 Dec 2006 14:07 #97076 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Paint guns
While it is more the painter than the gun, if your gun is not appropriate, it makes the job a bit harder for a less talented painter (like me). I was using a Harbor Freight touch up gun (non-HVLP and gravity feed). It works fine on side covers and other smaller bits but tanks are a chore as it doesn't lay on much paint and the potential for runs is greater since you have to go real slow to get cover. I kept that in mind and went down to Harbor Freight. Their HVLP regular gun ($69) was on sale for $49 and I picked one up. One of my buds who is a pretty good painter saw how my gun worked close up and also gave me the advice to get a better gun. I will continue to use the smaller gun for primer.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Dec 2006 22:36 #98389 by Tim G
Replied by Tim G on topic Paint guns
Racer 54
Urethane is the type of paint,not an additive.
A base/clear is much easier to spray than the older stuff you were used to,and holds up better.
Base {color coat} sprays kinda like laquer,dries quick and FLAT,no shine at all!
Clear brings out the gloss,sprays more like an acrylic enamel,exept it doesn't flow as much,the way it looks 30 seconds after your pass is the way it's gonna look.
Beauty of the stuff is it dries fast and hard,pretty much impervious to gas,etc,and you can sand and buff the next day,or within hours with an air dry speed clear!