First paint job

More
11 Oct 2006 14:01 #83503 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic First paint job
way cool, the job is on off 281 and the 1604 loop, I will try to look you up when I get this job up and going

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• arai59
  • Visitor
11 Oct 2006 16:54 #83531 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic First paint job
Congrats George ! I'm glad you have venturened into real painting. I mean the kind that will better sustain environment and wear. Although I'd like to say just as a word of caution.(and I'm sure you are doing) is......to protect yourself by wearing a quality respirator. You should as well cover as much of your body from overspray also. Remember, catalyzed paints most often have isocynates in them. Generally in the hardner. This is harmful to you. Just be careful. Looking foward to see your results.

• arai59
  • Visitor
11 Oct 2006 17:08 #83537 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic First paint job
Congrats George ! I'm glad you have venturened into real painting. I mean the kind that will better sustain environment and wear. Although I'd like to say just as a word of caution.(and I'm sure you are doing) is......to protect yourself by wearing a quality respirator. You should as well cover as much of your body from overspray also. Remember, catalyzed paints most often have isocynates in them. Generally in the hardner. This is harmful to you. Just be careful. Looking foward to see your results.

More
12 Oct 2006 05:49 #83631 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic First paint job
BSKZ650, Drop me an email and I will send you a note with contact info, etc. lesho@bigfoot.com

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Oct 2006 01:06 #87729 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic First paint job
George, have you made any progress on the paint? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

More
29 Oct 2006 16:41 #88379 by wiredgeorge
Sure have... finished the paint work. See pics in the project folder. I did learn a bit.

1. Don't mix too much paint... too much paint mixed will start to set up before it can be used and once it starts to set up, you can't stir it back; metallics start to separate some
2. More sanding and use of better filler probably was in order. Buy a bunch of tack cloth or figure out how to clean the surface of "stuff".
3. Biggest problem was not using proper "stands". The fender was especially tricky as I set it on a cardboard box with a 4x4 under it and it was too low. The tank had similar problems. Paint would come out the top of my guns resevoir when I bent over... next time I will build some simple stands and have the work up on a higher level.
4. Clearcoat needs some practice. Shooting primer and then the base is just a matter of cover. Painting is similar to using a rattle can in that you can apply with short bursts; moving across the work... the clear doesn't spray the same... it needs to be flowed on and put down a bit heavier. It is HARD to see... even in direct sunlight. I was thin on the clear in places.

All in all, not as bad as I thought. Prep is most important. I did a couple coats of primer, three coats of base (each pretty thin) and then three coats of clear. I could probably have laid down another coat of clear as there were thin places that were hard to catch with the work set on cardboard boxes.

I used NAPA paint... their "value" (cheap) line paint. The brand name was Crossfire. I used a Harbor Freight detail gun that cost less than $20. It didn't hold enough paint for the first coat of primer and I had to add paint for the first coat but after that, the resevoir on the gun was large enough to cover all body parts at least once. It was not an HVLP gun and needed to be run at 50 PSI... my compressor was definitely not stressed and hardly kicked on; certainly not as much as running a die grinder or something.

Anyway, that is my initial experience. I had about $140 in the paint I guess with plenty left to do another bike. I will be painting my rattle can Barney bike next as it will be going into the shop for a freshening up.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 Oct 2006 20:48 #88451 by JoeK
Replied by JoeK on topic First paint job
wiredgeorge wrote:

Sure have... finished the paint work. See pics in the project folder. I did learn a bit.

What do you mean, "projects folder"? I'm lost on how to see your pics... :unsure:

1977 KZ1000 - coolest
1973 Honda CB-750 - oldest
2004 Yamaha FZ1 - fastest
www.jekgraphics.com/gallery/kzr Galleries of So Cal Events
www.VintageBikeOC.com Monthly Meet of Vintage Bikes in Orange County, CA

More
30 Oct 2006 05:25 #88494 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic First paint job
its the last forum in the forum list

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
30 Oct 2006 19:07 #88718 by wiredgeorge
In the project folder, I posted links... pics are hosted on photobucket.com so they won't take forever to load on this site. Only posted one pic directly.

BTW: Picked out the next project color... green metallic. I am going to repaint my purple rattle can bike "Barney".

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
31 Oct 2006 05:10 #88803 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic First paint job
your killing purple with green? thats just WRONG!!!

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.