Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 14 Apr 2018 16:03 #781801

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI started spraying with De Velbiss guns when I was a teenager, back in those days, they were the best spray guns. Todays products I don't know, because I have never used a new one, however I will always stand by the old ones, they where made either in Canada or USA. I looked in E-Bay and there are some used ones still available with the canister for around $50.00, if you get a used gun, take the gun apart, give it a good soaking in solvent to loosen any dry paint, clean with toothbrush and blow dry with compressed air, once clean it will spray as good as a new one for a fraction of the cost

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 15 Apr 2018 08:58 #781843

• jeffz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Good advice by MDZ1 rider.
For me, the HF purple gun was a great first gun. It cost $10 ! I painted an old truck with it, single stage matte finish, and it worked fine. I also bought their smaller HVLP gun.
Would be great for small parts and frames. I tried it on my gas tank, but it just didn't put out enough paint for larger areas in a reasonable time.
Have fun!

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 16 Apr 2018 11:37 #781907

• JohnLuke
  • JohnLuke's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
  • Thank you received: 5
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThose guns are great and all but the paint I’m buying recommends HVLP. I’ll probably end up getting......

But I haven’t ruled out.......

I can’t find anyone using this “Fun Gun”. So I am very hesitant to purchase it. I’ll probably go with the more expensive one.

Thanks!

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 16 Apr 2018 15:29 #781921

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
One thing I know and rely on, DeVelbiss will not put their name on inferior products.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

Last edit: by mopguy.

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 17 Apr 2018 07:34 #781941

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
So if my compressor runs at 3.4cfm at 90psi.
And my gun is supposed to run at 7-8 cfm at 29psi or so. Will my compressor run it?

My thought process is, if it runs at 3.4cfm at 90psi what will the cfm be at 10-29psi?

Thanks!

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 17 Apr 2018 07:36 #781942

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
My plan is to get the Devilbiss finishline 4 FLG 670.

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 17 Apr 2018 08:29 #781946

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672

JohnLuke wrote: So if my compressor runs at 3.4cfm at 90psi.
And my gun is supposed to run at 7-8 cfm at 29psi or so. Will my compressor run it?

My thought process is, if it runs at 3.4cfm at 90psi what will the cfm be at 10-29psi?

Thanks!

I think your compressor is going to struggle to keep up. How many gallons is the tank? It may be okay if you narrow down the fan pattern and turn down the flow and pressure.

BTW, I think your plan regarding the Finishline gun is a good choice. Just not sure about that compressor keeping up.

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 17 Apr 2018 09:07 #781949

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
I think with your compressor restrictions a LVLP gun would be ideal. They are similar to HVLP but run even lower pressure and have less air consumption. You need just enough pressure to get atomization. Since you're painting wheels and a frame your spray pattern is going to be pretty narrow so the air consumption will be even lower. I have two of these guns, one for clear and one for everything else. Great results, VERY little over spray and almost no orange peel. they wouldnt be good for painting anything much bigger than a motorcycle.
www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astro/Ast...ic%20-%20EVO4014.htm

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 17 Apr 2018 11:12 #781955

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
I have two compressors. Idk why but it is what it is.
One is a Porter Cable 6 gallon 2.6scfm @90psi
And the othe is a Bostitch 2.0hp 6 gallon and delivers 3.4 cfm at 40 psi and 2.7 cfm at 90 ps.

I’m glad you think the finish line is a good idea. It sets my mind at ease to know you think so. I saw your entire KZ build and it was beautiful. Very well done, and properly executed.

Thanks!

Last edit: by JohnLuke.

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 18 Apr 2018 10:03 #782001

• JohnLuke
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750N Spectre
I’m gonna go ahead and say those compressors won’t cut it.

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 18 Apr 2018 10:19 #782002

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
A good compressor is worth the investment. They can allow you to paint, powdercoat, sandblast, run pneumatic tools, pull vacuums, fill tires, blow out oil passageways, clean carbs, pretty much anything. It's the 1 tool I think every hobbiest needs to invest in, not only because they are essential, but also extremely versatile.

Help with painting KZ750 frame and wheels 18 Apr 2018 13:14 #782010

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Did a quick google search and found some suggestions on how to hook two air compressors together. Bet you can do something in that regard. If you had an accumulator tank all the better. Or...get a better compressor.

• Page: