Rusted tank

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Aug 2017 22:25 #768556 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Rusted tank
Yeah, I did the Kleem job because I knew at that time I won't be able to work on the bike immediately (but didn't realized at that time it will be this long before I get my hands on it!). Like I said, it was in very good shape while it spend it's time under the house, but I HAD to put it on the bike frame and let it rust! Won't do that again.

Since then it received the cheap Chinese gas cap to keep the water out, and received a new, very sturdy cover that will receive my attention everyday. First sight of a rip, it will get a new cover. and just to keep the water out just in case it makes it's way inside, I have the petcock and fuel level sender off from the tank for now.

I need to get this fix before our rainy season, which will be here in about two month or so..................

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
09 Aug 2017 04:40 - 09 Aug 2017 04:47 #768621 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Rusted tank
On the two stroke forum we were discussing using a product called Plastiease to protect paintwork from acetone. Not sure if it would protect against MEK... I plan on using this when I clean out the failed red kote from my H1 tank.
www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/moldplastiease.php

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
Last edit: 09 Aug 2017 04:47 by ThatGPzGuy.

More
09 Aug 2017 08:49 #768630 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rusted tank

Patton wrote: . . . I used 3 gallons of acetone to almost fill the tank, which did an acceptable job of dissolving all the old Kreen. Drained all the "dirty" acetone from the petcock through a filter and used it for general clean-up purposes later when "clean" acetone wasn't required, such as wiping off greasy tools, metal parts, etc. . . .

It took less than an hour for this much acetone to dissolve the Kreem coating.

The drained acetone had a brownish color, and still smelled like acetone. There were no solids or chunks suspended in the drained acetone.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
21 Aug 2017 21:11 #769422 by Ojisan rider
OK guys. I finally had some time and weather cooperated with my day-off, so tackle the tank cleaning today.

pour gallon of Acetone and got most of the bottom part of the tank cleaned. But just how you guys happened to plug the fuel inlet? I tried duct tape but came right off. I'm not about to use the fuel cap, so how?

As I mentioned before, I need to paint my tank anyway, so getting the Acetone on my tank is no problem, so little drip here and there are no problem. But I had Acetone gushing out when the tape came off.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
22 Aug 2017 02:24 - 22 Aug 2017 02:27 #769426 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Rusted tank
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHave you try silicon plugs like this or a bathtub plug to seal the fuel inlet?

A good household supply store should have them or evil bay

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 02:27 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ojisan rider

More
22 Aug 2017 05:23 - 22 Aug 2017 05:53 #769435 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Rusted tank
By Ojisan rider: But just how do you guys happened to plug the fuel inlet?

I used a compression plug or freeze plug from the hardware store.
It's a rubber plug that has a hole thru it for a bolt & nut, usually a wing nut.
Mine has a large rubber gasket below the large wing nut washer to protect the tank. not sure if it came with the gasket or if I put in on there. it looks suspiciously similar to the oil seal found on the bottom of my triple tree.

For the petcock & fuel switch outlets, I made block-off plates from sheet rubber & 1/8" oak & put teflon tape on the bolt threads.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 05:53 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ojisan rider

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
22 Aug 2017 16:27 #769494 by Ojisan rider
Thanks guys. I'm running to the nearest hardware store now.

Really, until now, never thought about that.

Hate getting old........................

More
27 Aug 2017 14:31 #769885 by doctorcat
Replied by doctorcat on topic Rusted tank
here's what I Did:

shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-...-in.-02602/5701279-P

rubber expansion plugs to plug up the holes.
Any screw holes? I used electrical tape wrapped around a bolt and this sealed the hole up. (I kept a sacrificial petcock that was broken on to close the petcock hole.

don't bother with vinegar. Get yourself muriatic acid (Hydrochloric acid) OR some rust eating solution like Metal Rescue or Evaporust.

use the hairdryer (I used the missus's hair dryer. She gave me an odd look...) to dry it out as much as possible, then set the damn thing in the midday summer sun.

Then use POR15 (you'll have to do multiple steps and dry it again. Whatever! This is a process! and seal the tank for good.

cool?
let me know if this works.