Tank Opinions - KZ440 LTD

More
15 Apr 2016 21:42 #721167 by nightmoves
Replied by nightmoves on topic Tank Opinions - KZ440 LTD
More updates:

Got the titanium header wrap properly installed and did some more work on fitting the new tank / seat situation. Should have more progress to report this weekend.

1982 KZ440 LTD - A
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2016 10:09 #721797 by nightmoves
Replied by nightmoves on topic Tank Opinions - KZ440 LTD
Here's a better shot of the current setup with the stock tank.

I may have a lead on a reputable upholsterer here in town, so hopefully the seat finally gets done soon. I hate riding around with a blue yoga mat for a seat, but it's been so nice out I can't not ride.

note: mounting the right side pipes on the outside of the frame bracket rather than the inside severely inhibits the natural range of motion of the rear brake. *notice the missing paint under the foot peg* :pinch:

More updates to come.

1982 KZ440 LTD - A
Attachments:

More
14 Jun 2016 21:51 #731440 by rabraker
Replied by rabraker on topic Tank Opinions - KZ440 LTD
Did you got your fuel cap issues sorted yet? I have a kz650 LTD that had a cap that looks pretty similar. Something in the lock mechanism broke and I ended up destroying the cap trying to get it off. Couldn't find a replacement cap to save my life.

I ended buying one of these:
www.bungking.com/filler-cap-and-bung-vented/

The bung is just larger than the current hole. I enlarged the with a tiny sanding disk on a dremel. Since I don't have a welder, I epoxied the bung into the hole with something like JB weld that claimed to be gas-proof. Obviously, there's no key now, but folks don't seem to be in the habit of siphoning off gas tanks where I live anyway.

Might be a bit to redneck for you, but maybe worth a thought. My bike is too pretty, so functionality was all I was after.