Replacement decal sets

• GKBO
  • User
  • Saving old"dead" bikes
More
02 Mar 2014 07:17 - 02 Mar 2014 07:18 #623857 by GKBO
Replied by GKBO on topic Replacement decal sets

Mcdroid wrote: Reproduction Decal/Diablo has really changed since I last purchased from them...they apparently no longer offer any GPZ750/1100 decal sets. Guess the market is changing.

Yeah noticed that as I'm going to be in the market for the 82 GPz 750.Drat!
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 07:18 by GKBO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2014 08:36 #623865 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Replacement decal sets
Thank you. By trimming the paper for the upper stripes will it make placement (location) difficult? I hadplanned on going with a solid black but think the graphics would look great on black.
Wayne

PaintWorkz wrote: The 74 decals will go on easy except for the upper yellow tank stripes. For those trim all the paper away within a 1/16 " of the yellow and be sure to use the soap and water mix and start from the back of the tank. On the upper 75 white stripes I ended up pulling all the paper off and laying them on and stretching them like pin stripping tape, and then cutting the ends to match the black stripe with an X-acto knife.

kzz1king wrote: I want to do the total nightmare one :laugh: I am thinking the white and yellow graphics used on the 74 green ones on black bodywork.
Wayne

quote="PaintWorkz" post=623714]Diablo and Reproduction is the same company. Very good quality decals. Decals are sometimes tricky to apply. When you have a flat decal on a piece of flat paper going on a curved surface it wants to get wrinkles. Think of applying a 12 inch square piece of contact paper to basketball........you are going to struggle with it. It all depends on what tank the decals are going on. A flat sided 78 Z1R was easy.... 76 KZ900 not too bad....75 Z1 and 75 H1 was a nightmare.

There is a decal guy from the UK on eBay with super low prices.... he uses pictures from Reproduction decals and sells you total junk!

[/quote]

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
02 Mar 2014 17:28 #623941 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Replacement decal sets
I have been using Reproduction Decals/Diablo Cycle for quite some time. Their products are top of the line, I highly recommend them, they are very friendly and their customer service is second to none. They are about a two hour bike ride away from me, so ocasionally I go for a ride there to pick up my stuff.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

More
03 Mar 2014 04:08 #623987 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic Replacement decal sets

kzz1king wrote: Thank you. By trimming the paper for the upper stripes will it make placement (location) difficult? I hadplanned on going with a solid black but think the graphics would look great on black.
Wayne

The instruction will say to trim away excess paper. Using masking tape you need to lay out some reference points for the the stripes to line up to first. When you have the decals you will see the issue of wrapping a flat sheet decal around a curved tank..... before you pull the paper off the sticky side of the decals. Just follow their instructions and take your time and they will come out OK.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

More
03 Mar 2014 09:40 #624012 by kzz1king
Thanks again, appreciate the help and I am starting to get the picture now!
Wayne

PaintWorkz wrote:

kzz1king wrote: Thank you. By trimming the paper for the upper stripes will it make placement (location) difficult? I hadplanned on going with a solid black but think the graphics would look great on black.
Wayne

The instruction will say to trim away excess paper. Using masking tape you need to lay out some reference points for the the stripes to line up to first. When you have the decals you will see the issue of wrapping a flat sheet decal around a curved tank..... before you pull the paper off the sticky side of the decals. Just follow their instructions and take your time and they will come out OK.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
03 Mar 2014 10:29 #624023 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Replacement decal sets
We have a digital department where I work...(banners, vinyl truck lettering, etc.) I am considering making my own stripe set, but regarding any vinyl graphics application, on a surface that is curved on 3 planes, you might find it helpful to use a blowdyer on high heat to slightly soften larger stickers as you work across...tends to make the vinyl "drape" a bit...more forgiving...but go slowly, precisely, and gently...lightly soaped water under, and a soft plastic squeegee on top are your friends! fwiw!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo
Attachments:

More
03 Mar 2014 12:03 #624030 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Replacement decal sets
The newer wrap materials( higher end vinyl) has microscopic air vents within the material and doesn't use application tape and is (semi) repositionable. you can position it dry pop it loose and reposition it doesn't actually adhere until you apply pressure 3M & Orafol are a couple that Make this vinyl and higher end shops offer decals made of this
a general clue is the statement "no application tape needed"

as with any curved surface the contour should be cut into the vinyl the straight line wont look straight on the backing paper. even the contoured pieces that are curved wont lay real easy with the application tape (paper or clear covering)

ask your vinyl guy if he is using Rapid Air or similar vented vinyl
if your supplier is using the same materials he was 3 yrs ago he is lightyears behind the innovation in Vinyl

I have a friend who stays on the cutting edge (no pun intended) of vinyl graphics
the old days of application tape and a little soap mixed with water wet applications are no longer necessary its mostly patience and not getting ahead of the application.

The good news is if the back says orajet 3M orafol or other name brands it doesn't matter what cheap cutter cut it. it will be of decent quality

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
04 Mar 2014 14:46 #624168 by kzz1king
Great info Ram , thanks man.
Wayne

ramtough_63 wrote: The newer wrap materials( higher end vinyl) has microscopic air vents within the material and doesn't use application tape and is (semi) repositionable. you can position it dry pop it loose and reposition it doesn't actually adhere until you apply pressure 3M & Orafol are a couple that Make this vinyl and higher end shops offer decals made of this
a general clue is the statement "no application tape needed"

as with any curved surface the contour should be cut into the vinyl the straight line wont look straight on the backing paper. even the contoured pieces that are curved wont lay real easy with the application tape (paper or clear covering)

ask your vinyl guy if he is using Rapid Air or similar vented vinyl
if your supplier is using the same materials he was 3 yrs ago he is lightyears behind the innovation in Vinyl

I have a friend who stays on the cutting edge (no pun intended) of vinyl graphics
the old days of application tape and a little soap mixed with water wet applications are no longer necessary its mostly patience and not getting ahead of the application.

The good news is if the back says orajet 3M orafol or other name brands it doesn't matter what cheap cutter cut it. it will be of decent quality