stripping tank/fenders/engine cleaning-help a noob

More
16 Feb 2013 15:31 - 21 Feb 2013 02:32 #572713 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic strippping
Okay.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 02:32 by H1Vindicator.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2013 15:33 - 21 Feb 2013 02:32 #572714 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic strippping
never mind
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 02:32 by H1Vindicator.

More
16 Feb 2013 15:46 #572717 by jbalet666
Replied by jbalet666 on topic Stripping tank

H1Vindicator wrote: Okay. Some guys use aircraft stripper on the tank. If it doesn't work fast enough, wrap the tank w aluminum foil, so that the solvents don't evaporate so fast.

For the side covers, use brake fluid (harsh chemicals may melt the plastic).

For the chrome, not sure the best approach. One way is to use sandpaper to scuff it up, but you have to be real careful & methodical.

Ok thats perfect!
Thanks so much for the help

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
18 Feb 2013 01:34 #572944 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic Stripping tank

jbalet666 wrote:

H1Vindicator wrote: Okay. Some guys use aircraft stripper on the tank. If it doesn't work fast enough, wrap the tank w aluminum foil, so that the solvents don't evaporate so fast.

For the side covers, use brake fluid (harsh chemicals may melt the plastic).

For the chrome, not sure the best approach. One way is to use sandpaper to scuff it up, but you have to be real careful & methodical.

Ok thats perfect!
Thanks so much for the help

Quick tip -- a lot of us wait for long periods of time for a good original-colors/decals gas tank and other body parts to come available on ebay or craigslist. It is heartbreaking, your story. It's clear you're gonna do whatever. The advice is -- most forums are gonna have folks who have the same really tough problem even FINDING an original tank. We're into old bikes. It's nearly impossible to find an original tank in fair/good condition in original paint/decals.

You might consider saying "My tank's old paint is ruined, how do I get it off" that way, it's not painful to offer help. You're basically saying "the tank is original, they haven't made these in decades, help me ruin the original finish" and it's REAL hard to offer you any help on how to destroy original stuff. It's 100% your bike but it's very tough to understand why not give someone a chance to finish their project by selling them your nice tank. My 2c.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Feb 2013 02:16 #572948 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Stripping tank
How about just putting an add up here to trade somebody their not quite so cherry parts for yours?
Id be willing to bet somebody would be willing to trade parts and pay your shipping costs B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
19 Feb 2013 17:15 #573196 by jbalet666

wireman wrote: How about just putting an add up here to trade somebody their not quite so cherry parts for yours?
Id be willing to bet somebody would be willing to trade parts and pay your shipping costs B)

Hey guys getting ready to strip the tank any advice after care ie after I strip the paint like cleaning of the bare metal

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood

More
11 Mar 2013 03:24 #576471 by DanVVArider
Replied by DanVVArider on topic Stripping tank
Paint over chrome? Really? If it can be done neatly, I've never seen it.

"CHOP 'TIL YA DROP!"

More
11 Mar 2013 04:58 #576473 by jbalet666

DanVVArider wrote: Paint over chrome? Really? If it can be done neatly, I've never seen it.

No I sand blasted it I want to clear coat the bare metal but I've heard conflicting advice about it

81 650csr
AoA
old soul young blood