Coniption fit destroys gas tank!

More
04 Jun 2006 20:01 #52099 by indytwin
Coniption fit destroys gas tank! was created by indytwin
Today I got really mad at the fuel tank of my '81 440 LTD. So to cope with my frustration, I lifted high over my head, then with all my strength hurled it at a tree, thus rendering it more useless than it had been previously. That didn't work, so I picked it up and started throwing it down at the concrete of my back porch until I was out of breath. (WHEW).

Now, I have to figure out how to get a new tank. They look the same, do 650's and other early '80's LTD KZs use the same tank? Direct replacement? Anyone got one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2006 20:05 #52101 by DanOz7Five0
Replied by DanOz7Five0 on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
Ummm Dare I ask what the problem was?

More
04 Jun 2006 20:09 #52103 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
There's been many a times I've needed to get something airborne. Tools stand up better and go farther.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2006 20:24 #52106 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
Fossil wrote:

There's been many a times I've needed to get something airborne....

Well, if you ever need to put a case of *serious* flat to a gas tank, a toss off the 'ole CN Tower should do the trick nicely...

(...however, the RCMP will probably invite you for a nice chat in a little room with a 40 watt bulb afterwards...):blink:

More
04 Jun 2006 20:34 #52108 by indytwin
Replied by indytwin on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
DanOz7Five0 wrote:

While trying to clean the tank (which wasn't working), I discovered a leak coming from underneath... Seems that what I've been calling "speed holes" are actually just a rusty old piece of junk falling apart. Then the key broke off in the cap, which wouldn't open, and trying to pry it with a screwdriver dented a perfectly dent-free (but rusty-leaky) tank. I was gonna KREEM the tank, but I didn't get that far...>:(

Post edited by: indytwin, at: 2006/06/04 23:34

More
04 Jun 2006 20:55 #52111 by ejshotgun
Replied by ejshotgun on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
"I was gonna KREEM the tank, but I didn't get that far" I beg to differ, Sir, I believe you did "KREEM" the tank!:whistle:

Leaky gas tank(purchased off of e-bay)-$75, 2gal.petrol/rag stuffed in opening-$8.25, results of applying flame/running like hell-PRICELESS! :evil:

(to fully enjoy the fruits of your labor I suggest you have a viewing point behind some sort of cover)

Post edited by: ejshotgun, at: 2006/06/04 23:58

More
04 Jun 2006 22:02 #52128 by MattBlack
Replied by MattBlack on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
indytwin wrote:

DanOz7Five0 wrote:

While trying to clean the tank (which wasn't working), I discovered a leak coming from underneath... Seems that what I've been calling "speed holes" are actually just a rusty old piece of junk falling apart. Then the key broke off in the cap, which wouldn't open, and trying to pry it with a screwdriver dented a perfectly dent-free (but rusty-leaky) tank. I was gonna KREEM the tank, but I didn't get that far...>:(<br><br>Post edited by: indytwin, at: 2006/06/04 23:34

Sometimes you need these minor mental outlets.... no worries, I'll be you felt a million times better after, and it's not like it was a super rare part or anything.

You'll get a better one in the end. I lvoe hearing stories of people losing it. :P

More
05 Jun 2006 05:24 #52156 by ambergrismooon
Replied by ambergrismooon on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
dOOd! I'm so there! But the pure enjoyment is only accomplished by using one of these.
Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2006 05:44 #52160 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
ambergrismooon wrote:

dOOd! I'm so there! But the pure enjoyment is only accomplished by using one of these....

(...Gris' first bat courtesy of the MOoON family photo album...);)
Attachments:

More
05 Jun 2006 14:36 #52300 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
I get your frustration, but so far, I've had better luck coaxing good behavior from my bike, as opposed to punishing her for bad behavior.
After all, these machines are pushing (or maybe past) 30... that's like.... I dunno.... 100 in m/c years. Some embarrasing wet spots are bound to happen.
Anyway, good luck with your new gas tank.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
05 Jun 2006 15:24 #52310 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
i did the same thing to my old rectifier as a lesson to the other parts to start behaving!(and now we all know why there is danger signs in repair shops)

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
05 Jun 2006 15:27 #52311 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Coniption fit destroys gas tank!
ltdrider wrote:

I get your frustration, but so far, I've had better luck coaxing good behavior from my bike, as opposed to punishing her for bad behavior.

It's true, you have to be nice to your bike, but technically, Indytwin wasn't beating on his bike, just a detached piece of it. With a metal detector I could find tons of engine parts and crappy socket wrenches that I have flung into the woods over the years. My neighbors don't mind, they do it too. It a guy thing I guess.
So Indy, do you have neighbors close by that got to witness your meltdown?