Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS*

More
01 Jun 2006 10:06 #51396 by MattBlack
Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS* was created by MattBlack
Ok so it's not a true bobber, but it's what fits in my skill level and price range right now. :)

So here's the update... I last posted pics of my homemede welded seat pan, which I thought was a huge accomplishment for my first crack at something like that :) haha

Anyhow, so since then I've welded on some extra mounting brackets for this seat of mine and haev covered the seat. Not a pro job, but for $20 worth of foam, vinyl and glue, it was a helluva lot cheaper than getting it professionally done, plus I got to learn something. I used two layers of high density seat foam (1" thick) an dglued it to the pan with upholstery glue. (If you do this kind of thign yourself, make sure you get the right kind of glue. Buying spray adhesive for sticker paper together will not work on leather and metal etc. At last not well.) I then covered the seat with a pice of black vinyl. I glued the top only to the foam, then streched wach side indivdually and glued as needed. Then I drilled and screwed four corner screws to secure the glue.

So yeah, it's not shop quality, but it's pretty comfy and fits on the bike tightly and I can say I did it all myself.

Yu can see the three extra brackets I weled to the frame. One which a peg slides through on the front to secure the seat an dthe rear bracket basically has two book-end tabs that secure the metal bar on the back. It fits nice and tight and when it's pushed down there is no play at all in the seat.

As for the paint on the bike, I decided I didn't like the gray metallic, so I masked off a few stripes and painted the rest of the tank satin black. I may clear the whole thing down the road to make it glossy, but I don't know yet, that's why I haven't painted the side covers to match yet.

All that I have left to do now fabrication wise, is to put something behind the seat. I'm torn between a 2nd pillion style seat so the girlfriend can ride with me, or I may do a fiberglas mini cowl there and paint it the same as the tank to make it a solo-only bike. Suggestions?

So that's all for now, see the pics below, and go to my website to see more photos as well as the full progress since I bought it.

www.importeast.ca/77kaw/

Latest Progress Pics:

Link: Click Here to Enlarge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
01 Jun 2006 10:18 #51398 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS*
Looking good. I'm liking the clean rear end.

Can I ask: How much fiber wrap did you use on the headers? What width? Where did you get it?

...thanks...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
01 Jun 2006 10:30 #51400 by MattBlack
Replied by MattBlack on topic Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS*
Biquetoast wrote:

Looking good. I'm liking the clean rear end.

Can I ask: How much fiber wrap did you use on the headers? What width? Where did you get it?

...thanks...

Thanks man.

As for the heat wrap, I bought it at a performance auto place. It's the PRE-TREATED graphite exhaust wrap. (Which menas you don't have use a silicone spray on it after) It came in a 50' roll and I ended up buying two rolls. One roll does 3 pipes - figures. :)

I'm not exactly sure of the exact width but it's the narrower of two widths that it comes in - it's just over an inch wide I believe. The thinner stuff will allow you to make tighter bends on the thin piping.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
01 Jun 2006 12:12 #51414 by Duck

More
02 Jun 2006 04:47 #51538 by heartless
Replied by heartless on topic Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS*
Lookin real good, Matt.

nice job taping off the stripes, like the look.
seat looks a little blocky, but as long as it is comfy, who cares, nice job for a first one.

So have you been riding it much???
Hope so - enjoy all the work you did! B)

More
02 Jun 2006 08:01 #51565 by 77Davo650
Replied by 77Davo650 on topic Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS*
Did you chop the rear frame? Does that affect title status? I'm not sure but I really want to cut mine also.

Post edited by: 77Davo650, at: 2006/06/02 11:01

77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

More
02 Jun 2006 08:13 #51568 by timber
Replied by timber on topic Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS*
most states dont give you a problem about making mods to the frame. there are some things they dont want to know you did. like cutting off a neck and putting it on a new chopper frame. its one of those we dont say anything and they dont ask.

More
02 Jun 2006 08:15 #51569 by MattBlack
heartless wrote:

Lookin real good, Matt.

nice job taping off the stripes, like the look.
seat looks a little blocky, but as long as it is comfy, who cares, nice job for a first one.

So have you been riding it much???
Hope so - enjoy all the work you did! B)

Thanks for the props!. :)

Yeah, the pan itself had a little shape to it, but once you put the foam on and stretch the vinyl over it, it all goes to crap. ;)

If I had a sewing machine that could sew leather, then the best route would be to make panels and have a top and four sides sewn together. That's the only way to get a shape going on that shape of pan. But yea, for my first ever attempt at least it doesn't fall off and it's comfy. :)

Haven't been riding it yet though.... except on my street fo rcarb testing and such. It' snot registered yet, but I plan to do that next week. So we'll see.

More
02 Jun 2006 15:10 #51617 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS*
Nice work Matt. Happy riding. B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
02 Jun 2006 16:00 #51635 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS*
Looks like you've really been working the old girl over Matt. Good stuff.;)

More
03 Jun 2006 11:44 #51837 by purerider
Replied by purerider on topic Almost Done with the Bobber Chop *PICS*
Nice work Matt, looks like we'll be completing our bikes around the same time. Drop me a line when you are ready to ride.

More
03 Jun 2006 18:00 #51885 by MattBlack
purerider wrote:

Nice work Matt, looks like we'll be completing our bikes around the same time. Drop me a line when you are ready to ride.

I think it's pretty close now Purerider. :)

Still wanting to get the DYNA S and some new coils, but we'll see. Only thing required to ride now is to fabricate a licence plate holder and get the thign registered. :)