Fiberglass Seat Pan; What Next?

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
31 May 2006 11:40 #51178 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Fiberglass Seat Pan; What Next?
oh, maybe i mistakenly thought you were the guy on craigslist looking for a wiring diagram, since i sent him here and you are fairly new with the same bike. I thought you were him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2006 12:08 #51184 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic Fiberglass Seat Pan; What Next?
OK, that clears it up. Did you send him a color wiring diagram? I have the repair manual but everything is in black and white.

But, I did buy my bike off of craigslist from a guy in Edgewood a few weeks ago.

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

More
02 Jun 2006 04:37 #51537 by HENRYJ
Replied by HENRYJ on topic Fiberglass Seat Pan; What Next?
No problems with the contact cement. It was some thick leather, but it never detached itself.

One thing to watch: The fiberglass (because it was so rough) sanded down the top of my battery. You may want to cover that section with felt (or leather) to protect your battery.

Post edited by: HENRYJ, at: 2006/06/02 07:39

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jun 2006 09:10 #51578 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic Fiberglass Seat Pan; What Next?
I don't think that will be a problem because before I glassed I taped a piece of carboard over the battery in the same shape so the fiberglass actually sits about a quarter of an inch above it. But thanks for the advice.

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

More
08 Jun 2006 06:30 #52866 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Fiberglass Seat Pan; What Next?

Post edited by: ronboskz650sr, at: 2006/06/08 09:38

More
08 Jun 2006 06:36 #52867 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Fiberglass Seat Pan; What Next?
I made mine one piece with the tail, and just used two heavy black wire ties at the rear . They attach to the pan and frame from underneath, and allow the whole thing to pivot up for battery and tool kit access. I also rode around for a long time with it not fastened at all. It never budged, even on high speed turns and leaning. For smoothing, you can use more resin and sand down, or you can use polyester batting material ducttaped to the edges before you stretch the vinyl. I did that, and it really relieved the stress of the vinyl rolling across the edge of the glass. I also trimmed the underside of the foam and added pieces by trial and error to get the form-fit with the pan, so my pad actually came down over a portion of the sides and the batting material smoothed the rest. I compressed the foam slightly as I stretched the vinyl. I used staples, and some duct tape to help avoid splintering. I put so many in and took them back out as I experimented, that I ended up re coating the pan with more resin to fill all the staple holes before the final cover. I would recommend cutting your covers out, and using duct tape for trials. After awhile, the vinyl takes a set from the pressure on the frame rails, and the cover will stay in shape so you can staple it down. I did a cover this way last fall, got tired of not riding, so put the project on hold and still haven't stapled it! It's the one in the pics.. It's been through rain as well.

God bless!

-Ron

Post edited by: ronboskz650sr, at: 2006/06/08 09:57
Attachments: