Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Oct 2011 12:58 #485902 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
650ed sent this link to me, www.evaporust.com/index.html
I haven't bought/ tried it yet, but it sure sounds good from reading their web site info.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
31 Oct 2011 01:55 #486195 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?

Motor Head wrote: 650ed sent this link to me, www.evaporust.com/index.html
I haven't bought/ tried it yet, but it sure sounds good from reading their web site info.

It works great

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

More
04 Nov 2011 21:17 #487042 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
BTW, just thought I would add that Oxalic acid can be bought at almost any hardware store (Ace, HD, Lowes, etc) under the term wood bleach or wood brightener.

Jack

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
06 Nov 2011 10:05 #487204 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
Hey guys... Just wanted to add to this topic incase anyone was looking for some info.

I did both my tanks yesturday with the Oxalic Acid was and it worked GREAT! It comes in small like containers (12Oz) from the hardware store. I bought two from Ace in the paint department under the Savogran Wood Bleach. I will attached a pick.

I added one to each tank and filled with warm water, sloshed it around and let it soak for 4~6 hours.. let one site overnight. You could see the results almost immediately. Worked really well and super simple.

Jack

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
06 Nov 2011 10:37 #487205 by 770oldskool
Replied by 770oldskool on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
If you have has access to a Sand or media blaster this worked perfect for me.
I took mine to work with me one day and in about 15 minutes I had the out side
and inside done, and it shined like a new Quarter. Then I Kreamed it for a
little added security.

More
05 Dec 2011 08:28 #491619 by kawaman21
Replied by kawaman21 on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
i just used oxalic acid on my 84 z1100r tank,not too rusty but needed done.
got 800gram bottle off egay for 3 quid and mixed it with about 18 litres of water,(basically just filled the tank to the brim).worked great ,no flash rusting,emptied it then filled with petrol.before i had tried 15litres of vinegar which i sieved about 5 times which got rid of alot of the rust deposites
but flash rusted in minutes when empted,unless instantly rinsed out with baking soda and water.

hee hee never touched me!

More
05 Dec 2011 20:48 - 05 Dec 2011 20:52 #491762 by 750steve
Replied by 750steve on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
I'm going to be trying some of THIS (PH down - 81% Orthophosphoric acid)) stuff v soon, i have very very light rusting so i'll let you know how it goes.

As my tank wont be going on for a while again is it a good idea put some engine oil inside just to coat it? (then wash it out before use). If not what can i use to 'coat' it temporarily?

07 ZX6R Race Bike
1977 Z750 B2 Twin
1976 Z650 B1
Last edit: 05 Dec 2011 20:52 by 750steve.

More
06 Dec 2011 00:58 #491822 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?

TeK9iNe wrote: Quit wastin you're time!

I've cleaned alot of tanks from many things and almost all the chemical solutions are garbage.

The fast and most effective way at the shop to ensure that 100% of the rust is gone out of the tank is to remove it manually.

Rinse it thoroughly, then fill the tank with water and rubber plug/waterproof tape over the fill hole.
Flip it upside down, and using a rot-zip/plunge cutter - cut the belly out of the tank about an inch in from the perimiter. Its gonna be nice and splashy, but well worth it.
You've now got the tank in 2 with an underside pan, and the top and side edges untouched/damaged.
Simply use whatever means (I like a large wirewheel in a fast drill), to crush out all the rust completely! takes minutes!
Once the inside of the tank is shiney perfect new, take it to a shop and have them weld it back shut - no visible welds anywhere except under the tank, and it only cost about $25.

If you're not going to use it right away, fill it with a 1/2 quart of oil and splash that around real good so it dont rust again.
Remember to rinse it out good with gas before placing into operation.

Peace.

I have to do this to the tank on my g3ss. But I think I'll do the acid treatment to it also so it seals up nice. The tank also has bondo on it from the PO who thought that would seal it up. lol

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
06 Dec 2011 19:00 #491935 by Breaker19
Replied by Breaker19 on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
I use "Ospho" (Phosphoric Acid) available at hardware stores. I use it full-strength, but just enough to swirl around the inside of the tank for awhile. Then, I rinse with water a couple times and immediately, I used a rig with a rubber pipe (from an old Supra 7M-GTE Turbo project) and my toolbox hair dryer to dry the tank. That forms a while scaly surface as everything dries but the rust is essentially stopped. Then, I flush the tank out again and again with soapy water, then with a solvent such as Acetone. I like a product from Caswell Plating Co. which is a gas tank sealer kit, a phenol novolac 2-part epoxy. I've had really good luck with this process, having done 4 or 5 tanks so far. I'm in the process of doing this KZ1100 tank right now, waiting for the sealer kit to arrive. It's labor intensive and I end up making caps for the petcock opening and the fuel sender opening from aluminum stock, and you have to be aware of the threads where they bolt to while it's drying. I pour in the mixed epoxy, swirl it around for a long time, then remove the caps I made but stick scrap bolts (proper M6 thread) into the holes and every hour or so until it cures, turn the bolts so the epoxy doesn't weld them in place. 24 hours later, the tank is impervious to everything and will not ever rust again on the inside.

Excess sealer can drain out the petcock hole but I never let it accumulate there while it cures. Rather have any "pooling" occur at the back inside seam, not front -- if you can visualize that.

Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer Kit

Ospho comes in quart-sized containers at hardware stores. Never found it at the big places like Lowes or HD... I get it from a local joint here in town.
Ospho MSDS

Tom in Florida

2003 Suzuki DR650 Dual-Sport
1982 KZ1100A2 - GONE! Traded-in for a '12 Concours 14
www.facebook.com/pages/Moto-Resto/169238286503527

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
06 Dec 2011 19:05 #491937 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
There's an article on the file base on using Muriatic acid and a length of chain. I did this, worked great. Just be careful of the acid, it's a mutha.

kzrider.com/forum/6-paint-a-bodywork/387...ing-rusty-fuel-tank/

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_content...view&id=22&Itemid=11

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
06 Dec 2011 19:08 #491939 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
Probably not as bad as you have it, but this was before:

And after:

More
06 Dec 2011 21:30 #491951 by Breaker19
Replied by Breaker19 on topic Ideas on stripping inside of gas tank?
Great ideas, all. Fact of the matter is, the method of rust mitigation isn't as important as sealing the tank afterwards. That metal isn't terribly thick; pinholes happen and then your tank leaks. Just make sure good prep-work is done per the sealer instructions and run some junk around inside the tank to seal the surface. Light rust might let you scoot by without sealing, but those seams at the bottom are notorious for leaking after rust has developed.

2003 Suzuki DR650 Dual-Sport
1982 KZ1100A2 - GONE! Traded-in for a '12 Concours 14
www.facebook.com/pages/Moto-Resto/169238286503527