Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to UPDATED MAY 22

More
17 May 2006 10:25 #48005 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to
Nice! I was going to do the make a mold thing. I got sick of messing with it, and just slapped it on the bike and rode it. I still want to use the tail as a plug, make a mold, and do the whole thing as a single piece (with a separate door for the bottom to give me storage inside the tail.) Just don't see it happening anytime soon with new job, and band. I like the faring. Prbably not too heavy anyway, is it? My tailpiece saved me about 12 pounds all told in the end.

God bless!

-Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2006 21:49 #48159 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to
these are pics of my cafe seat it is all hand laid fiberglass, the lights are 59 caddy and will act as blinkers as well as brake and running lights with the addition of a trailer light conversion, I will be making a mold of this

Post edited by: agawam, at: 2006/05/18 01:10[img size=150]

Post edited by: agawam, at: 2006/05/18 01:11
Attachments:

More
17 May 2006 22:13 #48165 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to
sorry missed the pic this is the bike the seat goes on its in final putty with the lights in
Attachments:

More
18 May 2006 05:20 #48199 by heartless
Replied by heartless on topic Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to
SAweet!!! that is one nice handmade tail piece, agawam! LOVE the caddy taillights in it. talk about your customized bike!! :)

myself - depending on how well my custom seat pan comes out - might try my hand at something a little more ambitious for the "solo project" :whistle:

so - any further progress on the fairing, bkitchen????

More
18 May 2006 06:16 #48211 by bkitchen
Replied by bkitchen on topic Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to
Inkaw- No winscreen it doesn't sit high enough for one. I will have to get a pic of it on the bike. I threw my back out the other day so haven't done much of anything

Ronboskz- Actually it isn't heay at allprobably bout as heavy as the old flimsy one I bought.

Agawam- Thanks for the details on moldingI might have to give it a try...that tail piece is great also.

More
22 May 2006 12:30 #49154 by bkitchen
Here is a finished pic on the bike. Tell me what you think.
Attachments:

More
22 May 2006 15:05 #49193 by ratmeister
Thats Awesome! When can I get mine? :P

More
23 May 2006 03:36 #49369 by schmol
headlight looks nice, but that tail section is way too squared for the cafe style look. If you round off those edges, it shouldn't look that bad. Just my opinion...

More
23 May 2006 05:26 #49373 by heartless
looks great BK, but have to agree with ratmeister on the tail piece...too square - looks out of place...time to break out the fiberglass and stucco lathe again!!! :whistle:

More
23 May 2006 16:52 #49516 by ratmeister
I never said I didn't like the tail piece, in fact, it is unusual, which makes it ok in my book. Dare to be different!

I am serious about wanting one though...Let me know when you have the process down to sell them for under $50.00 and I'll buy one :)

More
24 May 2006 08:20 #49707 by ronboskz650sr
Replied by ronboskz650sr on topic Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to UPDATED MAY 22
Looks good! Probably breaks some wind in the process, doesn't it? Excellent. I've enjoyed watching your bike mutate since the first pic you ever posted. Kindof the way mine did.

:laugh:

God bless!

-Ron

Post edited by: ronboskz650sr, at: 2006/05/24 11:22

More
24 May 2006 20:27 #49906 by bkitchen
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Not sure at this point how to copy it.:laugh: And yes it actually does block some wind. When you said "breaks wind" I thought you were talking about me first. I really didn't think it would being as small as it is but there is a noticeable difference. This bike has evolved from the day I bought it, so who knows what I will do next. :P
Attachments: