what is the best cleaner for aluminum?

More
12 Aug 2011 23:31 #468727 by wdizard
I want to clean the light rust on my kz1000 engine. Does any one have experience with this?
Thanks Guys!
Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2011 23:47 #468734 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?
Aluminum can oxidize, making it look old. A product called "Nevrdull" is a cotton fiber with a cleaning/polishing compound in it available at most auto parts stores: www.nevrdull.com/

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wdizard, Sienna050406

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
13 Aug 2011 01:55 #468751 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?
mothers regular aluminum polish is my favorite B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wdizard

More
13 Aug 2011 05:09 #468759 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?
The best aluminum cleaner is elbow grease of course! :woohoo: I crack me up... Na, seriously, x2 on what they said. ;) Both work great. But a Dremel and a polishing wheel couldn't hurt!

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
13 Aug 2011 10:02 #468773 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?
I found a polishing wheel attached to a drill along with a soft metal cutting/polishing compound (I use Porter-Cable light polishing comp. #4) works best. Getting at the cooling fins is a pain, but you can use a Dremel with a polishing wheel for that. I tried the Autosol Aluminum polish without much success. Have I use the Nevrdull with great results, but mainly for chrome having light rust. It also takes some elbow grease. For sheer speed and results, a wheel/compound combination seems to work best on aluminum.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
13 Aug 2011 10:50 - 22 Jan 2013 03:15 #468782 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic .
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 03:15 by martin_csr.

More
13 Aug 2011 13:56 #468808 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?
If you have a good compressor, soda blasting (using baking soda)is another option. I have read many posts on KZR regarding soda blasting. Plan on trying it myself but haven't got around to it. I think I saw a post by patton describing the process and how to set one up. Lots of nice looking results posted on here. Seems to be better suited for cases, cooling fins and so forth. Where the aluminum has more texture. But as I said I haven't tried it yet. So better informed individuals here can give you better insight.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
13 Aug 2011 16:43 #468826 by steell
Replied by steell on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?
If it's badly oxidized, then the spray on Mag wheel cleaners that say "Not for use on coated wheels" will clean it right up. Just be sure to wash the motor thoroughly with water after use.

I forget the name of the acid that's in it, but it's the same stuff they use on aluminum fuel tanks and wheels on big trucks at the truck washes.

And then you polish :P

KD9JUR

More
14 Aug 2011 11:32 #469008 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?
Ragman's Polish from Norwalk Ohio. Never found anything that cleans aluminum like this stuff.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
16 Aug 2011 12:10 #469368 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?

martin_csr wrote: Semichrome. Mothers mag wheel & aluminum cleaner. BlueMagic. Autosol. Maas. Metal Gloss. MetalWax. The last two are mentioned as being used in the aircraft industry. A ScotchBrite pad might be good to use if the oxidation is bad.

Do an internet search for Best Aluminum Polish.

I use Eagle One cast mag wheel cleaner and a scotch brite pad. Does an AMAZING job ! Be fore warned, there is a high concentration of acid in wheel cleaners ! Work a small area for like a min., then quickly hose off the cleaner. To prevent further acid staining, after I am done I rub the aluminum with penatrating oil. Here's some pics of my shiney clean GSXR frame after a day's cleaning :

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

More
19 Aug 2011 18:28 #470109 by gwolever
Replied by gwolever on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?
I have been working on polishing various engine covers/parts. Here are some finished covers, cam chain tensioner and cap, and breather cover. I have some other parts on my paint table drying.

Attachment 019.JPG not found

I used some aircraft paint remover first (careful with this stuff). Then wet sand (800 grit automotive paper) with some soapy water. Then I used my bench buffer with a stiff buffer and black polishing compound first. Do this until you get rid of all the spots and piece shows a nice shine. Wipe the piece down with paint thinner and rag to get all black compound off. Then I use the loose buffer with white compound. This I used with very little pressure for a good and even mirror shine.

It has taken me 3 days of my vacation to polish several pieces from the engine, but how else am I going to spend my vacation anyway since the engine is pulled from the frame at this time.

Good luck and have some fun with it (helps to have a few beers in the garage fridge).

1982 KZ1000 CSR
Attachments:

More
19 Aug 2011 18:38 #470114 by gwolever
Replied by gwolever on topic what is the best cleaner for aluminum?
Oh. I forgot to add that I cleaned them again with paint thinner to get rid of the white compound. then washed with soap and water. Made sure they were good and dry, then sprayed them with high temp engine clear coating.

1982 KZ1000 CSR