What To do to make more aesthetically pleasing?

• shizzomynizzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jun 2011 12:34 #455590 by shizzomynizzo
Replied by shizzomynizzo on topic What To do to make more aesthetically pleasing?

DoubleDub wrote:

DoubleDub wrote: where's your tail piece? That's one of the defining pieces of a Kz.

Hmm..did the 1100 not come with the duck tail?

Yeah, the gpz did come with it. Are they interchangeable between the kz/gpz?

24 hours in a day...24 beers in a case

1981 KZ550 ***SOLD***
1982 KZ1100 A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shizzomynizzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jun 2011 12:35 #455591 by shizzomynizzo
Replied by shizzomynizzo on topic What To do to make more aesthetically pleasing?

peter1958 wrote: dont think that came with a tail but would look better with the grab bar

There's a guy who on this forum who has been searching for a grab bar for this bike for 8 years. I have a slight chance to find one, but I can hardly count on it.

1981 KZ550 ***SOLD***
1982 KZ1100 A2

More
05 Jun 2011 12:41 #455593 by Kidkawie

DoubleDub wrote: Spoke rims and a flat seat ;)

Read my mind, also some euro bars.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• shizzomynizzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jun 2011 12:42 #455594 by shizzomynizzo

supercharged wrote: it is all personal taste. I have a KZ1000LTD with a supercharger. I can't bring myself to redo the bike and make it "mean" looking, since I built in from new in 1979-1980, and for me the original look is in my memories.

I look at your bike and want to make it meaner looking. That would be to:
- add a tail section - if you could weld, not a big deal
- remove the huge foot peg carriers for something modern
- superbike bars
- redo seat
- change rear shocks

of course that will take some $ and be more complicated in such that the bars alone may require you to shorten the cables and brake line.

After looking at all that work and $ (some call it fun)... you just might think you like the look of your bike as is.

Look in the gallery and see what grabs you... I do that often and see what bit and pieces of others' projects I want to adopt when I get around to it.

That sounds like all good things I want to do, but funds/time are limited as of now. I have a a Honda 550 cafe that is 90% complete. I have to work out the wiring and mount the seat and she's done. I stripped it down to the frame over the winter and rebuilt it completely. I also have a few other projects in the preliminary stages.

Could I just swap the duck tail off a gpz on there? What about the lower front spoiler and front fairing? I think that would make it a bit sportier.

As for the bars, they are a bit out of place except behind maybe a vetter fairing, but I am not sure how this heavy beast will handle with superbike or dragbars.

1981 KZ550 ***SOLD***
1982 KZ1100 A2

• shizzomynizzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jun 2011 12:53 #455600 by shizzomynizzo

Kidkawie wrote:

Read my mind, also some euro bars.

Well I have a welder, and I would need to re shape the back end of the frame to make it flat. I was all for this on a couple other bikes, but I would rather not do anything that cannot be undone on this bike. I think it is worth more how it sits now than as a cafe. While my honda is opposite.

1981 KZ550 ***SOLD***
1982 KZ1100 A2

• shizzomynizzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Jun 2011 12:54 #455601 by shizzomynizzo
Will z900 and z1000 gpz fairings fit on this bike?

How much would I be looking at spending on a set...lower/upper front, and duck tail?

Thanks everyone!

1981 KZ550 ***SOLD***
1982 KZ1100 A2

More
05 Jun 2011 17:50 - 05 Jun 2011 17:53 #455638 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic What To do to make more aesthetically pleasing?

shizzomynizzo wrote: Well I have a welder, and I would need to re shape the back end of the frame to make it flat. I was all for this on a couple other bikes, but I would rather not do anything that cannot be undone on this bike. I think it is worth more how it sits now than as a cafe. While my honda is opposite.

I think you answered your question;)

My Vetter/Pridmore tribute bike was a 1980 Classic (no tail) and I did not like the look and the bike was trash.... a bit of time and $... and now it is a bitchin tribute bike. At least in my opinion.

A tail section can be had for $30. weld it up for less then $100 and that will build in a fender eliminator.

Oh... superbike bars would be great... except for the hassles of cable hose changes.

If you have figured it out... I'm biased towards a roadrace look...

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......
Last edit: 05 Jun 2011 17:53 by supercharged.

More
05 Jun 2011 18:26 #455646 by alwaysbroke
Replied by alwaysbroke on topic What To do to make more aesthetically pleasing?
I noticed you commented on the value of your bike. I went back and forth as to how I should treat my Z1. Should I rebuild it to factory specs to help keep its value or should I make it into something I want to ride (vs. need to ride to keep it healthy). If you’re worried about degrading the value or are unhappy with it, in any way, get rid of it or change it to something that’s more to your liking. I sold an 86 gold wing that my father gave me because I didn't enjoy it and couldn't bring myself to molest it and bring its market value down. I was also having a hard time because of the sentimental value that I had with it being my fathers. I brought it up in conversation one day and the above advice is what he gave me. Sure it hurt his feelings a little, but it made him happier knowing that I was happier. Life’s to short to worry about such things and in the end your happiness should be your number one priority, not so much the market value. On the other hand, I know that such things as market value are what some people prefer to anything else. My Aunts doll collection is a perfect example; she hates them but keeps them around only because she knows that there are people out there that want them more than her. (She was apparently picked on quite a bit in school) I think once you figure out what your interests are with the bike are, everything else will fall into place.

Another piece of priceless advice he gave me; a bike on the road is worth two in the shed.

'75 Z1900
'74 CB750

More
11 Jun 2011 19:35 #456707 by stablechaser35
Replied by stablechaser35 on topic What To do to make more aesthetically pleasing?

Attachment bike08june007.JPG not found

If he wasn't 700 miles (give or take) away, I'd trade him for my seat and wheels... lol... his seat and wheels would work so much better for what I want to do with mine... eventually

"Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was"... yeah right... don't have the back for that, I was AMAZING when I was younger, now I'm just here...
Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2011 20:37 #456716 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic What To do to make more aesthetically pleasing?
I agree with most people: spoke rims, flat seat, "sportier" front fender (I have a CSR fender that I'm looking to get rid if you don't go the LTD route) and a tail piece with the classic Kawasaki ducktail.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
12 Jun 2011 21:39 #456892 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic What To do to make more aesthetically pleasing?

mtbspeedfreak wrote: I agree with most people: spoke rims, flat seat, "sportier" front fender (I have a CSR fender that I'm looking to get rid if you don't go the LTD route) and a tail piece with the classic Kawasaki ducktail.

I'd suggest a "sportier" handlebar as well.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!