24 Dec 2010 13:25 #418449 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic polishing forks
i found a lot of clips here is one

(youtube)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
24 Dec 2010 14:30 - 24 Dec 2010 14:31 #418460 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic polishing forks
thats the easy part, I'm talking about the entire process of taking a 35 year old, pitted, scraped scuuffed up cover and getting it to the point of polishing, (personally i dont want mine to shine that much)), thats the hard part, that cover was in great shape when he started,
Last edit: 24 Dec 2010 14:31 by stonemaster.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
24 Dec 2010 15:09 #418467 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic polishing forks
duh

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
24 Dec 2010 21:53 #418526 by subby
Replied by subby on topic polishing forks
Sorry to steal your thread…:unsure:

I cant help with “your tube” as I don’t have a movie camera as such, it wouldn’t matter anyway as I myself never watched a vid, just showed the materials needed and went hard….

Ok you want an example:
I am doing up an old 1996 KX80 at present for the bosses sons birthday at the end of next month and doing a little polishing here and there on it, my project is on hold until I finish this for him… (Thread: KZ 750 resto & customised on the tightest budget)

Pictured below is the front end for the bike, did the handle bar clamps and the fork caps…all up about 15 mins (still need to clear coat the paint etc, there not quite finished). I have a couple pieces to polish so I thought perfect opportunity to show you the process, its Christmas day (merry Ho! Ho! Ho!, KZ members! :kiss: ) and I have nothing better to do so I may as well polish a kick-starter hey….

[IMG

[IMG

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is basically what I use at the moment (pictured), a die grinder with an alloy polishing kit ($29) attachment and also bought a small bench grinder polishing hobby pack (compounds included) 150mm wheels, about a year ago, also have a linisher in the bottom of the picture that I have used to shape and especially fix up damaged jobs not that this is necessary but I thought it needed a mention…

[IMG

[IMG

So far the kits have lasted 4 bikes, not bad for $39, had the die grinder and the bench grinders were bought second hand for about $40, so total was about $120 all up sounds expensive I know though, a couple of engine side covers can cost this alone to get polished by a professional, me I have done 4 bikes and counting…this is an excellent return!
I hesitated to spend at the start because of the disappointment with manual polishing method…:dry:
To give you an idea of the success this will be the upgrade for when the polishing wheels need replacing… I have bought 2 x 1hp second hand variable electric motors and will buy large industrial wheels ($12-15 each roughly) when needed and do it right with no question what so ever!
Then I can do larger items quicker…

Enough waffling;
Fist pic…. The kick-starter was sandblasted (I know what I recommended about blasting, long story…. this is how I got it because it needed it), this will show you anyway that the worst of jobs are done in the same way….

One thing I have found no matter how tempted…. do not use a wire wheel, it seems to melt the alloy and does more damage that good no matter how light you push…

[IMG

Second pic:
Have stopped to give you an idea of how vicious yet smooth to be, notice the casting line and how I am smoothing it away and not6ice the rounding top of the kick-starter that there is no pit holes yet closer towards the visible casting line you can see tiny pit holes, this smoothness is what you are trying to achieve… always follow the natural contours lines of the job, then it will look like it should and not like it has divots….

[IMG

Third pic:
First stage done with the die grinder, now I move onto the bench grinders, the die grinding took about 10 mins roughly……

[IMG

in the stable:
1981 Kawasaki KZ750
1980 Suzuki GS1000
1980 Suzuki GSX750
1982 Yamaha XJ650 TURBO (3 of)

More
24 Dec 2010 23:01 - 24 Dec 2010 23:16 #418530 by subby
Replied by subby on topic polishing forks
Finished the kick-starter, cheers for that…I did need to do it at some stage and now is a better time than any (Christmas day)… all up about 20 mins

Heres after the calico wheel, notice the light scratches now, would compare it to about 1000-1200 grit….. to this stage again about 5-10mins, took the base off as I will be painting it black and it was getting in the way…

[IMG

And this is after the firm felt wheel, its hard to notice any change yet there is, the scratches left behind by the calico are now very very mild…

[IMG

And this is it finished, after the final soft cloth polish… it can look a little better I think with a bit more time but as it is a dirt bike and the original condition was well…. Stuffed, I think my boss should be happy… don’t you think!

Didn’t take too long, notice the time between posts and I grabbed a bite to eat in between as well!

[IMG

[IMG

in the stable:
1981 Kawasaki KZ750
1980 Suzuki GS1000
1980 Suzuki GSX750
1982 Yamaha XJ650 TURBO (3 of)
Last edit: 24 Dec 2010 23:16 by subby.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
25 Dec 2010 03:15 #418547 by stonemaster
not too bad thanx, ur stuff is in a little better condition than what I had to start with, but I can see some time saving with this.

More
25 Dec 2010 03:41 #418550 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic polishing forks
Forks do look like they are anodized light gold. Muratic acid is what the local anodizing company recommended to use for removal...worked for me on the side trim on a 58 Ford Custom 300.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
25 Dec 2010 03:59 #418551 by stonemaster
yea Muratic acid is tricky gotta be careful, ask me how I know
checked on the net and found some interesting attachments for polishing, from Mothers and other companies I have limited work area so i have to improvise
thanx subby for the ideas on buffing attachments