Engine Finishes

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
03 Oct 2010 19:45 #403901 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic Engine Finishes
Larry besides building motors do you paint them to?

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2010 20:22 #403907 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine Finishes
larrycavan wrote:

Oliver wrote:

I'm not talking about paint made just to stick to aluminum. I mean paint that is made for air cooled aluminum engines, that is designed to let heat dissipate through the paint.

I have built air cooled VW Beetles for the past 25 years as well as bikes. There is a parts store here that specializes in air cooled VW's and he sells the paint there. I haven't been able to find a link this morning, but if I can't find it I'll swing by his shop and get a product name.

To clarify what I was talking about,
Air cooled aluminum engine heads and jugs are made out of porous (small air pockets)cast aluminum, heat dissipates through the pours in the cooling fins. putting a regular high heat paint seals those pours, preventing the heat from escaping as it should that will cause the engine to run hotter and could burn the engine up.

You can get away with regular high heat paint if you take short trips, ride in cooler temps or have a liquid cooled bike.
But if you get out on a 100 degree day and get stuck in traffic, you can cook your engine with a quickness.

Won't argue the logic in that. 100 degree ambient with traffic jams is never good.

On this particular engine Duplicolor Metal Cast paint.

Was a hot, hot summer here. No issues with overheating. KZ1000 Block, sleeved and bored to 1197. No problems with heat what so ever.

ssssssssssso lawrence,whats the white stuff along bottem of cylinder? say it aint so! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
03 Oct 2010 20:43 - 04 Oct 2010 07:31 #403915 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Engine Finishes

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 04 Oct 2010 07:31 by 650ed.

• Oldz1guy
  • User
  • Still Crazy After All These Years
More
04 Oct 2010 11:51 #404007 by Oldz1guy
Replied by Oldz1guy on topic Engine Finishes
Oliver wrote:

Just so you know, You can't use a regular high heat paint on an air cooled motor. You will burn it up.
They make a special paint for air cooled motors.

The aluminum in the jugs and heads is porous, and that helps dissipate heat. Putting a high heat enamel seals those pours and that will cause the motor to run hotter.
It's kind of like putting a plastic bag on and going for a jog.

They make a case paint that allows the aluminum to breath.

Now if it's a liquid cooled engine. regular high heat paint is fine.

I am currently restoring my 73 z1. All engine pieces are ready to paint, what paint are you talking about. Brand, name, where to purchase would be great to know. I bought high temp satin black, but if there is a better alternative to dissapate heat, let me know where to buy it.

Thanks guys,

Brad

More
04 Oct 2010 12:47 #404015 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine Finishes
PJ1 Satin black case paint ( Used to use sperex competition black but can't get it any more )

Thoroughly clean parts to be painted (degrease and blast clean).

Slightly pre heat part to chase out moisture.

Shake PJ1 can and stand in hot water whist pre heating parts.

Spray parts with two or three light coats and leave to cool overnight.

Next day put parts in oven or under grill and slowly heat till paint begins to smoke and appears to go wet (If you put paint on too thick it may bubble at this point).

Switch off heat and allow to cool slowly.

You should end up with a near factory finish close to the original kawasaki black that will last for years with no cooling problems.
I do all my engines like this and have run them all year in all weathers without it falling off and it won't wash off with petrol either.

My Wakisaki z1r has run everyday for over ten years in all weathers and only the front of the crankcase that gets all the crud and stone chips has needed touching up for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
04 Oct 2010 12:56 - 04 Oct 2010 12:58 #404020 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine Finishes

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 04 Oct 2010 12:58 by zed1015.

More
04 Oct 2010 13:04 #404022 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Engine Finishes
+ 1 on the PJ Satin paint. Painted a lot of Z engine bits with it, best I've ever found. Prep as per the post here and you'll love it.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
04 Oct 2010 13:15 #404027 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine Finishes
zed1015 wrote:

...Shake PJ1 can and stand in hot water whist pre heating parts....

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: