chrome embrittlement

More
24 Jun 2010 09:27 #377935 by PLUMMEN
chrome embrittlement was created by PLUMMEN
wasnt sure where this really belonged ,but this area made sense anyway.
since a certain kid from the new york area brought this subject up again to start crap in another post i figured id start a new post about it and differant cures for it for everybody to decide for themselves B) rochesterovernightplating.com/serv04.htm

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2010 09:32 #377938 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic chrome embrittlement
www.springerlink.com/index/L532061V336P2K83.pdf another cause of embrittlement,maybe we should sto welding and start gluing parts together B)

More
24 Jun 2010 09:34 #377940 by PLUMMEN

More
24 Jun 2010 11:10 #377957 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic chrome embrittlement
We buy a ton of fasteners and the wholesaler's catalog is littered with warnings around hydrogen embrittlement. We can't even buy chromed bolts from any of the mainstream fastener companies.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I remember being told by a race bike frame maker never to chrome a frame.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
24 Jun 2010 11:32 #377961 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic chrome embrittlement
My understanding on Hydrogen Enbrittlement is that the problem can be resolved by baking the part at 350F for 60 minutes. This releases the build up of the gas during the plating process.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Jun 2010 11:32 #377962 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic chrome embrittlement
PLUMMEN wrote:

wasnt sure where this really belonged ,but this area made sense anyway.
since a certain kid from the new york area brought this subject up again to start crap in another post i figured id start a new post about it and differant cures for it for everybody to decide for themselves B) rochesterovernightplating.com/serv04.htm

Please give link to post. You've peeked my curiosity. ;)

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
24 Jun 2010 12:26 #377966 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic chrome embrittlement
This is the original discussion I referenced in another thread

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=5&id=255569

This is the thread I said it in:

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...it=20&limitstart=620

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
24 Jun 2010 17:43 #378020 by PLUMMEN
hardr0ck68 wrote:

This is the original discussion I referenced in another thread

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=5&id=255569

This is the thread I said it in:

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...it=20&limitstart=620

yeah did ya notice the part in the first post from a year and a half ago where BOEING calls for baking parts in an oven by their specs? B)

• hardr0ck68
  • User
More
24 Jun 2010 17:59 #378025 by hardr0ck68
yeah, yeah; but they have specs... I have been reading as well

depth of chrome, layers of chrome shape or piece being chromed and more factors are used by engineers to decide what temperature and for how long.

Using toothless Joe's 30 minutes at 400* recipe on everything from triple trees to frames to spokes is just asking for trouble. also has old toothless Joe ever done any kind of testing to find out how strong the parts that were leaving his shop were? How is he sure he has effectively combated the effects of the chroming process?

Point being re-chroming spokes even if you bake them is just as unsafe (with no testing) as running 200psi through a tube rated for 400 psi (yes air compresses, but pressure is pressure). Neither one should be considered the correct method, but both will get the job done if the offending party is AWARE of the risks (I wont ride re-chromed spokes but if a grown ass man wants to shake and bake them have at it!)

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
24 Jun 2010 18:02 #378027 by PLUMMEN
hardr0ck68 wrote:

yeah, yeah; but they have specs... I have been reading as well

depth of chrome, layers of chrome shape or piece being chromed and more factors are used by engineers to decide what temperature and for how long.

Using toothless Joe's 30 minutes at 400* recipe on everything from triple trees to frames to spokes is just asking for trouble. also has old toothless Joe ever done any kind of testing to find out how strong the parts that were leaving his shop were? How is he sure he has effectively combated the effects of the chroming process?

Point being re-chroming spokes even if you bake them is just as unsafe (with no testing) as running 200psi through a tube rated for 400 psi (yes air compresses, but pressure is pressure). Neither one should be considered the correct method, but both will get the job done if the offending party is AWARE of the risks (I wont ride re-chromed spokes but if a grown ass man wants to shake and bake them have at it!)

and how do you know what the process was when they were origionally plated?

• hardr0ck68
  • User
More
24 Jun 2010 18:06 #378030 by hardr0ck68
I don't but I trust Kawasaki did a test or two to make sure the spokes would do the job.

1977 kz650 c1

More
24 Jun 2010 18:20 #378037 by PLUMMEN
how about the bolts holding on your handle bars and fork legs and all those other shiny parts on your bike? does kawasaki have some sort of patent on safe chrome plating,or was all that stuff subbed out to the cheapest vendor they could lay their hands on to supply enough materials to build bikes with?
how about all those fancy chrome bumpers that have been slapped on cars and trucks since the dawn of time? are they just time bombs waiting to explode going down the road? how about all those old cragar wheels people have been running since the 60s? :woohoo: