toilet bowl cleanr hydrogen chloride to clean tank

More
24 Apr 2010 11:12 - 24 Apr 2010 11:14 #362834 by otakar
I put in about a quart and turn the tank slowly by hand the whole time for about five minutes. I than look inside to see how it is coming. If there is still rust I do it for another five minutes and check again. Once The rust is almost all gone I remove the acid and flush and with about a pint or so do it again. It is a lengthy process and now I just pay a radiator shop $65 to do it for me including sealing it.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 24 Apr 2010 11:14 by otakar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2010 11:31 - 25 Apr 2010 11:50 #363091 by ditchdriver
Replied by ditchdriver on topic toilet bowl cleanr hydrogen chloride to clean tank
never mix amonia with anything with chlorine (like hcl) in it cause then u get the hitler affect. chlorine gas can kill u some people call it mustard gas. my brother is a chemist and told me that the chlorine gas will burn ur lungs if u inhale it. so make sure there is no amonia and hcl mixing if u flush it i would still be very carful just in case.

1982 kz 550 ltd
Grand Forks, ND
Last edit: 25 Apr 2010 11:50 by ditchdriver.

More
25 Apr 2010 13:36 #363135 by camaroguy
I used distilled vinegar straight out of the bottle.did a good job but did start to flash surface rust.any cheisis got any good remedies for that?

More
03 May 2010 16:01 #365264 by Jonny
camaroguy wrote:

I used distilled vinegar straight out of the bottle.did a good job but did start to flash surface rust.any cheisis got any good remedies for that?

Well, I'm not a straight up chemist, more of a biochemist, but I'll hazard a guess here. Distilled vinegar isn't ammoniacal, its acetic acid, which is very, very weak. And if you were using commercially available stuff, like from the grocery store it would only be about 6%. Strong enough to start cleaning like you said, but not so strong as have a strong reducing effect on the metal, and hold off oxidation (rusting) at all; even for the few minutes required to flush the tank and get some phosphoric acid in there to make a layer of iron phosphate. Which, as mentioned above is more durable than exposed steel, and resistant to rusting.

Using a stronger acid should help somewhat, and of course following otakars steps in that exact order is pretty much the key.
I wouldn't personally worry too much about adding baking soda etc... or any base if you are rinsing with 2 or 3 tank volumes of water following the acid wash. But, it WILL neutralize the acid faster and pose something less of a hazard to the operator. I'm pretty used to using very high molar strength acids and bases where I work, so I tend not to sweat small stuff like that.

-J

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)