Powder coating wheels?

More
24 Jan 2010 01:32 #344226 by cherrymetal
Replied by cherrymetal on topic Powder coating wheels?
kzr750r1 wrote:

If they coated the threads then you will need to chase with a tap. Clean out that new material so you don't mung them up.

You can carefully scrape powder off the bearing race with a razor blade. Should have been covered in the first place. FYI there is tape that can handle the heat and the coater should either be able to install or give you a few inches this job would have needed. Helps keep the mated surfaces clear on motor covers and cases as well if you go that far. Only powdered my covers on the motor and should have probably painted them.

Sorry i didn't see this earlier...

Sounds like your going to use compression to pull the bearings back into place?

Take it easy cause I'd hate to see you get one wedged in there and crack a wheel.

Thanks for that.

The bearing seats haven't been coated, they're just roughed up from the blasting, it has been masked in the locations I specified.

Compression is the only way to do a job like this rather than hitting the bearings in, I work in the aerospace industry as a Tool Engineer / Assembly Engineer, and we'd never dream of using a hammer to completely seat a bearing, we would always use a press tool.

So long as the bearings are square to the wheel its very unlikely that the wheels would get cracked, thats the beauty of using a press tool, because its progressive and you can back it off if for any reason anything does go wrong

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.