powdercoating frame

More
22 Sep 2009 16:30 #323309 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic powdercoating frame
isnt the chassis paint more satin than gloss ? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2009 16:53 #323316 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic powdercoating frame
If I were to paint a frame I would use some good urethane based paint. It would be the toughest paint you could get I would think, plus it should be resistant to many chemicals.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

More
22 Sep 2009 17:12 #323322 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic powdercoating frame
Dupli-Color Wheel Paint...

Stuff actually didn't chip through flat blade screwdriver testing....:cheer:

Only downfall...limited colors...
Didn't matter for me though for I wanted flat black, no gloss... They do have a clear for it if preference is gloss.

Pro & Con...

Con:
Paint is not as durable as powder coat, no doubt...

PRO:
Powder coat can go to crap on you just as paint can... Downfall is once it does, you're screwed!

Powder coat can & will cover stress fractures/ cracks in the frame welds...

If you need to mod/fab... Paint can be stripped, welded/fabbed, re-painted and no one knows the difference.

With paint, if you happen to do get a scuff/scratch down to frame/primer, no big deal, mask and touch up, all good... Same scenario in powder, you're screwed!

Almost forgot...
Powder $$$ ~ $200 plus... Here in AZ, quoted at $300 :blink:

Paint @ ~ $6 a can plus primer, $50 max....:woohoo:

Just my two worthless cents....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
22 Sep 2009 21:22 #323423 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic powdercoating frame
Pfaelzer wrote:

That looks great - are you talking Rattle-Can Duplicolor aluminum ?
I did a BMW R 75/5 frame in 1975 with Rattle Can Silver and a friend of mine is still riding it.
oldkaws4ever wrote:

When i re-did my z1 last winter, i painted the frame with a duplicolor aluminum. It's holding up really well.

Yup regular rattle can duplicolor aluminum, and lots of hi temp clear coat.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
23 Sep 2009 04:42 #323445 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic powdercoating frame
interesting. If I did sandblast it could I just spray my colour, or do I need to prime it?

I saw that duplicolour wheel paint at crappy-tire last night, it did look good.

Here is a problem I just thought of, I will be doing this this winter, it gets cold up here, so I will be doing all my work in a garage hgeated with a big propane heater...I think this will not let the paint cure properly and/or blow me up...I may have to ask to paint it in my buddies basement.

Allthough the aluminum looks great I think I will stick with black, I think satin black to be exact, that way if I do sell her she will still look somewhat original.

More
23 Sep 2009 05:11 #323447 by chance
Replied by chance on topic powdercoating frame
PLUMMEN wrote:

isnt the chassis paint more satin than gloss ? B)

They have gloss or satin black..

More
23 Sep 2009 05:23 #323450 by chance
9am53 wrote:

interesting. If I did sandblast it could I just spray my colour, or do I need to prime it?

Here is a problem I just thought of, I will be doing this this winter, it gets cold up here, so I will be doing all my work in a garage hgeated with a big propane heater...I think this will not let the paint cure properly and/or blow me up...I may have to ask to paint it in my buddies basement.

Allthough the aluminum looks great I think I will stick with black, I think satin black to be exact, that way if I do sell her she will still look somewhat original.

Yes prime bare metal with acid etching black epoxy primer. It's onlt 10 bucks a can .it wll etch itself into the metal and will never peel and it doesn't Chip easy. If you use your heater warm the area and shut it off when you spray

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
23 Sep 2009 05:35 #323452 by 9am53
chance wrote:

9am53 wrote:

Yes prime bare metal with acid etching black epoxy primer. It's onlt 10 bucks a can .it wll etch itself into the metal and will never peel and it doesn't Chip easy. If you use your heater warm the area and shut it off when you spray

If I heat the room up and then spray, it will be below freezing within a short time period...would that not adversly affect the solvent evaporation of the paint?

More
23 Sep 2009 06:19 #323458 by chance
That cold huh. I spray paint in a booth with one of those diesel jet heaters and have never had any problems. And thats with alot of fog in the booth I don't think you'll have any problems with rattle cans.If your worried about flash fire Ive been painting for 34 years and have never seen a fire but I would try to vent a little. you will need the temp to be at least 68 or 70 to cure

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
23 Sep 2009 07:02 #323464 by 9am53
OK, I am taking the bike off the road this week so if I start right away at taking it apart I should be warm enough for that for sure.

I am getting my new exhaust header sandblasted today, I was going to VHT flat black it...do I need to prime the header before painting it since it will be down to bare metal? I figure the header paint doesn't need primer, any ideas?

More
23 Sep 2009 13:59 #323527 by chance
No the header paint needs no primer.