Seat pan question

• 650 in Vegas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jan 2009 00:02 #258185 by 650 in Vegas
Seat pan question was created by 650 in Vegas
So I need a little advice.
I removed the cover to my seat planning to shave down the bump in the foam in order to be able to sit far enough back that I don't end up eating my knees (I'm 6'5" and my current seat forces you to sit right at the base of the tank). Prior to removing the cover I thought I had a pretty decent seat pan as everything visible seemed to be in good shape. Upon removing the cover, this is what I saw...

You can see that the sides of the pan are badly rusted and I am now wondering what my options are. I want to keep the pan as I want to keep the latch and hinge function, but I have not had any luck in finding a cheap replacement pan on ebay or at any graveyards here in Vegas. So my question is this...
Can I use fiberglass to sandwich the current pan and build up the areas that are rusted out? I know this will result in a much thicker and heavier pan but I will end up covering the whole thing and don't care about the weight. I just thought this would allow me to maintain the stock pan layout and reuse the hardware while strengthening up the sides that are rusted out. Am I crazy for considering this, or can anyone suggest something better? Or even better still, does anyone have a seat pan that would fit a '79 650 that they are willing to sell for cheap?

79 KZ650 C - The best $200 I have ever spent!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2009 05:03 - 16 Jan 2009 05:05 #258208 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Seat pan question
650 in Vegas wrote:

...planning to shave down the bump in the foam...to be able to sit far enough back...current seat forces you to sit right at the base of the tank...wondering what my options are...want to keep the latch and hinge function, but I have not had any luck in finding a cheap replacement pan...to maintain the stock pan layout....

:unsure: What "bump?" Isn't the oem seat a "flat" seat and not a stepped LTD style seat? Am thinking maybe the oem seat was replaced with the current stepped style. And if so, could consider replacing seat with flat style.

Realizing I'm probably misinterpreting the shape issue or simply mistaken about the oem style. :(

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Jan 2009 05:05 by Patton.

More
16 Jan 2009 08:56 #258225 by Patton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationPatton wrote:

...consider replacing seat with flat style....

Here, for example, is a flat seat version.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 Jan 2009 12:39 #258267 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Seat pan question
get yourself some tin snips a good ballpeen hammer and clamp a piece of angle iron in a vise and use it to bend/hammer out a piece of sheetmetal to match the edge of your seat pan and tack weld it on there really good make sure to get rid of the loose metal and rust first then paint it when your done.;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Jan 2009 18:02 #258326 by SLEEPER650
Replied by SLEEPER650 on topic Seat pan question
what are you looking to pay for a rust free seat pan?

78 650sr my baby
78 650sr waiting for rebuild
82 kz1100

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
16 Jan 2009 18:21 #258334 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Seat pan question
Plummen +1.
I've resurrected three H2 pans this way because they're harder to find than early 650B/C pans, if that's possible.:ohmy:
You can make the little spears to hold the vinyl in the new sheet metal quite easily with a sharp chisel and hammer, too.
Fibreglass won't last, especially if you weigh more than about 100 pounds. It's just not stong enough....unless you put the layers on about at least 1/2" thick all round.
My .02....

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• 650 in Vegas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jan 2009 00:25 - 17 Jan 2009 10:50 #258375 by 650 in Vegas
Replied by 650 in Vegas on topic Seat pan question
First off, thanks for all of the feedback these last 24 hours since I first posted - I love this site because everyone is so helpfull.

In answer to the several questions that were posed, the seat is a LTD style, and not the flat oem style.

While I want to tone down the bump, I dont want to completely remove it and I am looking to keep some of the height in back that you get from the LTD style seat. Here is a pic from another post on this site that shows basically what I am shooting for.

I don't have access to any welding equipment, but could I pop-rivet some new sheet metal instead of tack welding?

Also, I only paid $200 for the bike in the first place, so I am going for as cheap as possible on this one. I don't think I could justify much at all for a rust-free pan - especially when this forum is full of accounts of $5 seat pans found on ebay and at swap meets or junkyards. If you have one pm me with your price and I will get back to you.

Thanks for the advice on how to make the little spears for the vinyl. I had been wondering what would work the best.

Also, to Plummen and H2Rick what gauge of sheet metal did you use? I don't want to go too thick as it will be murder to try and work with, but I don't want to be too skimpy either and end up with a weak point.

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jan 2009 10:50 by 650 in Vegas.

More
17 Jan 2009 05:05 #258385 by PLUMMEN
id say something in the area of 22-26 gauge,although i tend to use whatever i can lay my hands on.id run the screws or rivets up from the bottem side as to not cause frame clearance issues.B)

• 650 in Vegas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jan 2009 11:08 #258413 by 650 in Vegas
Replied by 650 in Vegas on topic Seat pan question
Thanks for all of the input, it looks like I have an excuse to make a Harbour Freight run today as I need snips, a vise, a rivet tool and rivets, and a ball-pein hammer. I love new projects and the tools they allow you to buy!:woohoo:

I'd welcome any other advise that anyone out there in KZ-land has to offer and I will be sure to post pictures of the finished product (assuming I am not so embarrassed by it that I bury it in the desert first).:unsure:

Wish me luck!

More
17 Jan 2009 15:30 #258441 by Patton
650 in Vegas wrote:

Thanks for all of the input, it looks like I have an excuse to make a Harbour Freight run today as I need snips, a vise, a rivet tool and rivets, and a ball-pein hammer. I love new projects and the tools they allow you to buy!:woohoo:

I'd welcome any other advise that anyone out there in KZ-land has to offer and I will be sure to post pictures of the finished product (assuming I am not so embarrassed by it that I bury it in the desert first).:unsure:

Wish me luck!

Wishing luck, and lots of it. But maybe should go ahead and add a pick and shovel to the HF shopping list just in case. :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Jan 2009 18:13 #258462 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Seat pan question
Vegas, Don't know what your' time is worth, but offer this. torn/ crappy seats show up on ebay often. std/ltd pans are usually the same, with different pads'& covers. a $20 ripped/eroded seat could save hours and give better results.luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
17 Jan 2009 18:25 #258467 by PLUMMEN
its all about practice like anything else,you can always swap it out for a better one later if it comes around. B)

Attachments: