Acid cleaning of gas tank

More
07 Oct 2008 17:57 #240659 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
coppertales wrote:

Any special kind of epoxy? I have a tank that needs sealing and it has a couple pin holes in it.....chris3

Yes, you have to use the hardner. Sorry, I should have mentioned it. You only need to mix enough to do the job. It doesn't really take much, less than a cup full. Probably a half a cup.

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2008 18:05 #240660 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
coppertales wrote:

Any special kind of epoxy? I have a tank that needs sealing and it has a couple pin holes in it.....chris3

I use West System epoxy, but only because that is what I had left over from another job. It is a little pricey and probably any epoxy would work. The Caswell stuff mentioned above is certainly cheap enough. Tape over any pin holes, I use duct tape.

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650

More
08 Oct 2008 08:54 #240767 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
Thanks. I will give it a try. The tank I have was creamed so I need to remove that first. The pin holes are presently plugged with JB weld. The paint on the tank is toast so a repaint is necessary, bummer. I hope I can emulate the stock paint job. chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
08 Oct 2008 09:56 #240777 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
Pinholes too huh? I'd dig up another tank instead.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
08 Oct 2008 14:23 #240811 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
I second what OKC says , if it has pin holes then there is a weak spot or more in the tank,,, I dont want to play that game

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
09 Oct 2008 06:28 #240907 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
For Patton... where do you buy enough BBs to fill a tank sufficiently for the shake-em up method? I would guess you would be turned into Homeland Security long before you got the tank 1/4 full of BBs bwhahahaha

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
15 Oct 2008 23:40 #242043 by snorules
Replied by snorules on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
I used a 4000 pack of BB's I bought a Wallyworld for about $6. Worked great, although my wife came home while I still had the tank in the dryer..I still hear about it 6 months later....

1980 KZ550C (daily rider)
1981 KZ1000J (bagger project in progress)
1981 GS1100 (future dragbike)
1978 Z1R (not mine yet, but trying to work out a deal to acquire it).

More
05 May 2009 22:18 #288279 by spearsgaryhi
Replied by spearsgaryhi on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
I love saltydogs method. For those of us who live in the real world. Saving money at any turn is a big help. thanks for help.

More
06 May 2009 03:46 #288407 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
You mean i didn't have to use my super long needle nose pliers to peel off the creme?

Now you tell me. :P

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
06 May 2009 04:19 #288410 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
Instead of BBs you could slosh a length of cheap swingset type chain around the inside. Comes back out in one piece.
I did it to a boat gas tank once. Used phosphoric acid along with the chain. Pulled it out, rinsed the tank, then immediately dumped in a quart of two stroke oil.
It didn't have any pin holes in it though. If that was the case, I would've just tossed the tank. Leaky gas tanks and boats don't get along too well IMO.

More
06 May 2009 05:58 #288424 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Acid cleaning of gas tank
I have now been going threw this for over a month. Removing the rust is the simple part. There are quite a few different GOOD lining materials on the market POR-15 and KBS just to name two. (KREEM does not fall into the category of good)It is,removing the OLD epoxy stile liner that was once put in there and is now pealing off in sheets which is the problem. I have been experimenting with many different solvents to try to do this and none work. See thread, kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=6&id=287915 When using chain to chip the old rust off with Muriatic acid which works very well. Just make sure that the chain (or anything els for that matter) is not Galvanized. This can produce a very dangerous, sometimes explosive condition. This is not a good condition to have when you are dealing with Acid. After cleaning the rust with Muriatic acid (which you can buy at any good hardware store) It is a good idea to use Phosphoric Acid afterwards. This will Phosphate coat the tank and will promote maximum adhesion of any other sealer used next. The way to seal pin holes is to put a small dent over the pinhole and solder it closed with a good silver based plumbing solder being very careful not to over heat the surrounding metal. I just took a tank to a local radiator shop just to see how well they do the job and how much it will cost me, and the total job was $150 including the soldering of the pin holes and sealing of the tank. The amount of time you will spend cleaning the tank and on the materials required to do it (not to mention of ruining a pair of trousers and a shirt most likely) It is not worth doing it yourself. The only thing you want to do yourself is to remove the old tank sealer. The radiator and tank shops burn it out, and this softens the metal and can cause other corrosion problems. A quart of aviation grade paint stripper and Two cups of pennies to spread it around in the tank is about the only good and reliable way to remove it. The pennies are reusable and the stripper can be washed out with a mild acid solution or pressure washed out. Other solvents are ineffective.
I've tried them all.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000