Blasting an engine?

More
05 Sep 2008 06:36 #235615 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Blasting an engine?
I have read all the opinions. I use glass bead 80 grit in my business. I have the equipment to blast and can do the job in a cabinet with the engine disassembled. I have rebuilt engines that have been bead blasted. I know a little bit about this.

FIRST, OnkelB was dead on. Glass bead will get EVERYWHERE and is a total pain to clean. It can be cleaned but I would NEVER NEVER NEVER (did I say never?) glass bead with the engine assembled. That stuff will find ways into your bearings and seals and EVERY nook and cranny inside the engine no matter HOW CAREFUL you are sealing the engine. Second, glass bead doesn't imbed in metal. If you us a small diameter tip (small hole outlet for the bead) and train the gun in one spot for quite awhile, it will pit the surface but if you use a 4mm or 5mm tip and move the tip some, it won't do any harm.

Another thing that wasn't mentioned in the thread is that you had best be thinking of powdercoating the engine after glass beading. The surface will be even and smooth and clean but DULL. It will be matte type finish and I don't think it would look real great. I would think that soda or water blasting would produce a brighter final finish if you do blast. Last, if you do powdercoat, I have used semi-gloss black in the past with a krinkle finish and it looks nice. Older engines have pores so if you use a gloss finish with no texture, any imperfection will show up but gloss is nice like on the old GPzs.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bubbap
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
05 Sep 2008 08:48 #235636 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic Blasting an engine?
I agree with george here, and that was exactly what I did. After I glass beaded the motor disassembled I had the local machine shop use their parts washer to clean it for me. Basically is a big dishwasher that sprays solvent from all directions to get any thing left behind. Then I powder coated the motor. Its been running for two months now going on 2 thousand miles with no problems from inside the motor. I have changed the oil 3 times and filtered it through a paper screen to see if anything was in it like shavings or glass bead. So far totally clean. My best tear down time was 52 min. from a completed bike to the engine totally apart. If you keep track of your parts and enough bench space. I would suggest disassembling the motor first.

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

• supercharged
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Sep 2008 17:06 #235702 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic Blasting an engine?
bubbap wrote:

... My best tear down time was 52 min. from a completed bike to the engine totally apart. If you keep track of your parts and enough bench space. ...

I might be able to match that time... but my problem would be in the re-assembly... or not:S

Using a manual to follow to get it together may not be the hardest thing I have accomplished, but struggling with limited tools would make it more of a headache... ring compressors, seal pullers, bearing press, degreeing the cams... lots of time on an engine that runs.

But... I'm getting the hint.

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

More
18 Sep 2008 08:13 #237614 by stever
Replied by stever on topic Blasting an engine?
Does anyone over there do this process, I dont even know if it has a name:-

www.aloh.co.uk/Pages/sample.htm

Basically a big tank on springs full of 1/2 aq ton of assorted ball bearings agitated by a big motor, head goes in and bearings vibrate and clean and seal the surface.

I had my cylinder head and barrells blasted and was not very impressed I then took them to this place and they were transformed.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
18 Sep 2008 09:25 #237620 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Blasting an engine?
stever, this guy is the absolute engine Nazi (think soup Nazi from Seinfeld), his work is second to none. The only problem is the shipping costs added on to the cost of the restoration work, puts it out of reach of most of us. Unless you have a really high dollar, very rare bike, the restoration costs could rapidly exceed the amount that you could ever hope to sell it for. That said, the guy does some beautiful work.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
18 Sep 2008 09:55 #237624 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Blasting an engine?
[ www.rsg-technologies.com/

.[/quote]
Very cool. Thanks for enlightening us. I personally found that to be excellent info that I would never have probably ever heard of let alone tried.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• Calhoun
  • User
  • Hayabusa= I ride to the strip club in flip flops
More
18 Sep 2008 11:12 #237631 by Calhoun
Replied by Calhoun on topic Blasting an engine?

Result
yes
opinion and speculation, no.

80 IT175, 84 XL200, XT250, 95 ST1100 96 xr650l (30k miles),kz1000, KX250 97'
Last and most important 93 KX500.