Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Frame/Engine Rebuild - Bolts 07 Feb 2006 10:42 #22169

• wireman
  • Visitor
lots of wax boys,lots of wax!B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frame/Engine Rebuild - Bolts 07 Feb 2006 11:41 #22182

• wireman
  • Visitor
i tried that mdmetric website and started getting dizzy,way to complicated for a guy like me who types one letter at a time with the same finger!:blink: bwaha

Frame/Engine Rebuild - Bolts 08 Feb 2006 06:58 #22410

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The engine case bolts are not what I am referring to. I NEVER reuse phillips head screws EXCEPT for the inner sprocket cover where anything else tends to get rubbed by the chain!

I am talking about the pinch bolts for the triple trees, the bolts that hold on the bar clamps, the bolts that hold the rotors on the hubs and other chassis related hardware. If you remove the rust and DO NOT paint these, the rust tends to come back within weeks. If you use non stainless hardware, that is OK, just use zinc plated stuff as it tends to not rust as quickly... DO NOT use the black bolts you get at a hardware or autoparts store. These will rust IMMEDIATELY... I am talking overnight. Some bolts MUST be reused. It is hard to find 12mm acorn nuts with 1.25 pitch for the upper shock mounts. It would be impossible to find the pointy ended bolts used with the chain adjusters... The motor mount bolts can all be painted after installation but I am going to use stainless for most everything I can. I have a full list for my KZ1000E1 (ST) project bike and have a quote from Maryland Metric. Need to do some clarifying with them before ordering. I will also get quote from the local shop that specializes in stainless Quality Fasteners. It is best to stick with socket head throughout the bike as the different styles of bolt heads only confuses the issue of getting a quote.

If you do get a quote, single bolts can be pricey. The larger/longer stainless can cost over $2 a bolt if bought individually. Buying in boxes can reduce the price and a box quantity depends on the size. Most 6mm and shorter 8mm bolts come in boxes of 50. The other (larger or longer) in boxes of 25. Buying by the box can reduce the per bolt cost to about a 1/3 but you will end up with quite a stock of bolts. I will probably go back over my list and anywhere I can use a 1/3 of a box, I will just buy a full box.

Also keep in mind that the lengths on bolts used by Kaw are not standard and you may have to buy a bit longer and cut them off. I suggest you place these bolts in a vise, thread on a nut and cut with a Dremmel or die grinder cut off wheel then back the nut over the cut end. It makes it a lot easier to thread the bolt in when you go to use it.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Page: